PDA

View Full Version : They never stop sticking it to the fans

Paulwny
11-22-2002, 08:22 AM
How long before all the other teams jump on the bandwagon?
Colorado has done it for 3 yrs. now the Mets will follow suit.

From Newsday:
While the Mets are still figuring out how much to pay for Tom Glavine, they already know who's footing the bill: their fans.

The Mets are planning to adopt a "variable pricing" system for next season, which means that some games against premium opponents - such as the Yankees and Braves, for example - will cost more than others. The new ticket plan will be announced next week.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-price223014051nov22,0,3184905.story?coll=ny%2Dbase ball%2Dheadlines

NewyorkSoxFan
11-22-2002, 09:41 AM
NEWSFLASH!!
Check out the suntimes, today the Flubbies are doing the same thing for their bleacher seats.

We have nothing to worry about, we only get people their half/price nite, and we raise prices across the board. Can't wait to see the Devil Rays at premium prices next year.

NYSF

steff
11-22-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
NEWSFLASH!!
Check out the suntimes, today the Flubbies are doing the same thing for their bleacher seats.

We have nothing to worry about, we only get people their half/price nite, and we raise prices across the board. Can't wait to see the Devil Rays at premium prices next year.

NYSF

NEWSFLASH!!

The Cubs have been doing it for a few years now. At least the games against the Sox the have...

NewyorkSoxFan
11-22-2002, 05:08 PM
I'm sure they have, but they are starting up with other teams that people want to come out to see outside the Sox.

NYSF

steff
11-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Checked more into this.. they have been doing it since at least 1997 when my boss got his season tickets. He remembers for sure 5 series that were "extra" his first year in because they have stayed "extra" since with the addition of several over the past 4 years.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I'm sure they have, but they are starting up with other teams that people want to come out to see outside the Sox.

NYSF

The Flubbies are discounting early-season weekday games (the cold weather games nobody attends but the numbskulls from Iowa), charging a premium for weekend summer games (soaking their legions of "price is no object" Urinal tourists), and standard prices for everything else.

When you think about it, the Flubbies have a far more rational pricing structure than what the morons running Sox Marketing have come up with. Our geniuses are basically building disincentives for anyone to buy season tickets. The discounts are only given on day of game gate sales. ***!

:gallas
"More proof I have no clue what I'm doing!"

:reinsy
"More proof I'm incapable of successfully managing a major league ballclub!"

:ohno
"This is news to none of us."

Soxheads
11-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Flubbies are discounting early-season weekday games (the cold weather games nobody attends but the numbskulls from Iowa), charging a premium for weekend summer games (soaking their legions of "price is no object" Urinal tourists), and standard prices for everything else.

When you think about it, the Flubbies have a far more rational pricing structure than what the morons running Sox Marketing have come up with. Our geniuses are basically building disincentives for anyone to buy season tickets. The discounts are only given on day of game gate sales. ***!

"More proof I have no clue what I'm doing!"

:reinsy
"More proof I'm incapable of successfully managing a major league ballclub!"

:ohno
"This is news to none of us."

Hey! Not all Iowans are numbskulls! Just look at...um...well...

steff
11-22-2002, 05:55 PM

There are discounts given to season ticket purchasers. Personally, I'd rather pay $20 a seat (107 on the rail) all year than $40 (the rumored cost for Wrigley bleachers for the elevated cost games) for each game of just the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, and Indians series.

And I didn't know they were hiking the weekend prices, too. That must be why this thread is called what it is.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
There are discounts given to season ticket purchasers. Personally, I'd rather pay $20 a seat (107 on the rail) all year than $40 (the rumored cost for Wrigley bleachers for the elevated cost games) for each game of just the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, and Indians series....

How big is your season ticket discount? How does it compare to the "half-price" discount offered on Mondays and Tuesdays to day of game walkups?

Granted, you can't get infield box seats without buying season tickets. However, the incentives the Sox offer you as a season ticketholder don't compare to what they're offering the $6 UD Reserved yahoos who then give themselves the Comiskey Upgrade in the empty seats near you in the seventh inning.

All I'm saying is, you as a season ticketholder deserve the BIGGEST discounts and the absolute best perks the team can offer. In this respect, the Sox are failing you.

That is one of the biggest reasons I won't buy Sox season tickets.

steff
11-22-2002, 06:16 PM
How big is your season ticket discount? How does it compare to the "half-price" discount offered on Mondays and Tuesdays to day of game walkups?

Granted, you can't get infield box seats without buying season tickets. However, the incentives the Sox offer you as a season ticketholder don't compare to what they're offering the $6 UD Reserved yahoos who then give themselves the Comiskey Upgrade in the empty seats near you in the seventh inning.

All I'm saying is, you as a season ticketholder deserve the BIGGEST discounts and the absolute best perks the team can offer. In this respect, the Sox are failing you.

That is one of the biggest reasons I won't buy Sox season tickets.

Luckily... 107 and nearly all of 106 are full of season ticket holders so we don't have the "yahoo's" around us. There were a few in 108 last year, but we never had any issues. I'm fine with what we get. The season ticket holder gifts, the special promotions. And if we need anything we call our rep and he takes care of it for us. I guess it's all about picking your battles. We, as season ticket holders will get All Star tickets.. the half price "yahoo's" will not. To us, the benefits outweigh the savings of only going on Monday's and Tuesday's to get a break on the seat cost. We don't feel "failed". But, that's just us. I'm sure there are others that might. My suggestion to them.. don't buy season tickets.

steff
11-22-2002, 06:18 PM
The Club level discount is $13 PER game. Ours is only 3, but we then would have to arrange our schedule to only attend Monday's and Tuesday's. Not doable for us.

MarkEdward
11-22-2002, 08:52 PM
I like the different prices, on one condition. If they're going to raise prices for Yankees' games in July, they should lower prices for Tigers' games in May.

Also, I don't think they're "sticking it" to the fans. There's a high demand for those games. Prices should go up.

steff
11-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I like the different prices, on one condition. If they're going to raise prices for Yankees' games in July, they should lower prices for Tigers' games in May.

Also, I don't think they're "sticking it" to the fans. There's a high demand for those games. Prices should go up.

That's just it Mark... they aren't raising them for select games. It's one cost across the board all year except for Monday's and Tuesday's. So for Cubs fans that want to see the Sox at Wrigley.. they have to take out a home equity line to do so.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-23-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
That's just it Mark... they aren't raising them for select games. It's one cost across the board all year except for Monday's and Tuesday's. So for Cubs fans that want to see the Sox at Wrigley.. they have to take out a home equity line to do so.

The Sox can't sellout anything except the Flubs series, so the point is moot. Until the Sox learn how to build the season ticket base, it's pointless to debate the merits of a seasonally-tiered pricing structure.

With a young family, I am a prime candidate for purchasing several years worth of season tickets. However, the way the Sox would screw me on the discounts, there is no way I would fork it over for season tickets. I'll keep buying my tickets at the box office. It's cheaper.

A lot cheaper.

"Doh!"