PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Out of Town NL & AL Ballparks You'be Been Too

Viva Magglio
11-21-2002, 08:57 PM
In the National League, I would have to say Busch Stadium. I haven't been to Miller Park, but I liked the old County Stadium which I've been to three times. As for the American League, I would have to say Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Yankmee Stadium really isn't that bad (or as bad as many people think), but OP is better.

Soxheads
11-21-2002, 09:00 PM
I liked Coors Field and Busch in the NL. In the AL, I've only been to Comiskey and the HumpDome.

Vsahajpal
11-21-2002, 09:21 PM
AL

1. Yankee Stadium
2. Fenway
3. Safeco
4. Oriole Park at Camden Yards

NL

1. Pac Bell
2. PNC
3. Coors Field

I hate Busch Stadium, hate it.

Daver
11-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

I hate Busch Stadium, hate it.

C'mon Vic,Busch is the first of the cookie cutter ballparks,that is History you are hating there.

Vsahajpal
11-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
C'mon Vic,Busch is the first of the cookie cutter ballparks,that is History you are hating there.

Fugly

The worst part has to be the spectators; madly applauding the sacrifice bunt to show they are knowledgeable fans. I hate shi* like that. Or giving a standing ovation to the departing pitcher for giving up two runs in 5 1/3. UGH!

guillen4life13
11-21-2002, 09:53 PM
Fugly

The worst part has to be the spectators; madly applauding the sacrifice bunt to show they are knowledgeable fans. I hate shi* like that. Or giving a standing ovation to the departing pitcher for giving up two runs in 5 1/3. UGH!

lol. and maybe also the cause of your contempt for the place is that it is the site of many cubs losses.

8-)

MarkEdward
11-21-2002, 10:11 PM
American League:
1. Comerica Park
2. Jacobs Field
3. Skydome
4. Tropicana Field
5. Metrodome

National League:
1. Turner Field
2. Miller Park

I've also been to Milwaukee County, but Tiger Stadium beats all of these.

whitesoxwilkes
11-21-2002, 10:12 PM
AL Best: Camden Yards (new) Fenway (old)

NL Best: Miller Park (best tailgating anywhere)

AL Worst: HumpDome (it stinks worse than Wrigley)

NL Worst: Olympic Stadium (like watching a game in someone's basement only with fewer people)

whitesoxwilkes
11-21-2002, 10:12 PM
Vshjapal, are you a Cubs fan? No offense, but what brings you here?

duke of dorwood
11-21-2002, 10:14 PM
NL Milller Park
Old County Stadium

AL Skydome

Ol Aches & Pains
11-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
In the National League, I would have to say Busch Stadium. I haven't been to Miller Park, but I liked the old County Stadium which I've been to three times. As for the American League, I would have to say Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Yankmee Stadium really isn't that bad (or as bad as many people think), but OP is better.

I made a point of going to Municipal stadium in Cleveland and Tiger Stadium in Detroit before they were torn down. I liked Tiger Stadium, it reminded me a lot of Old Comiskey. Now that it's gone, I see no need to ever set foot in Detroit again.

Jacobs Fleld is nice, but in the AL, I prefer Kaufmann in KC, now that it has real grass.

In the NL, Coors is great in Denver, but I have to admit, Wrigley Field is still the best ballpark I've seen. The fans are mainly idiots, the team is mainly stiffs, but I love the park.

I need to get back East and see Yankee Stadium and Fenway before they're gone. Of the new parks I haven't seen, Pac Bell in San Francisco, PNC in Pittsburgh, and Camden Yards in Baltimore are on my Must See list. Miller Park looks nice on TV, but for me it will never replace my memories of going with my dad as a boy to see the Milwaukee Braves play in County Stadium. Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, Joe Adcock... Damn, how did those guys ever lose?

Vsahajpal
11-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Vshjapal, are you a Cubs fan? No offense, but what brings you here?

My presence here can be summed up by one word: tomato

:D:

DVG
11-22-2002, 12:45 AM
I lived in southern California for three years, so I'm partial to both
Dodger Stadium and Anaheim Stadium. Both are beautiful, clean
parks that still look brand new.

Viva Magglio
11-22-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
I made a point of going to Municipal stadium in Cleveland and Tiger Stadium in Detroit before they were torn down. I liked Tiger Stadium, it reminded me a lot of Old Comiskey. Now that it's gone, I see no need to ever set foot in Detroit again.

Actually, I think Tiger Stadium is still standing. Or at least I have not heard about it being torn down. Also, the movie 61* was filmed there. So it just sits fallow in Detroit.

Moses_Scurry
11-22-2002, 07:24 AM
I've been to quite a few of them, and I have to say that Coor's Field is the best one. For AL, I guess I would go with Fenway. Camden would probably be number 1, but the strike of '94 took away my only chance to go to a game their so far. KC has a pretty cool stadium as well.

The worst stadiums that I have been to are 3 Rivers in Pitt and Riverfront in Cincy. They were exactly the same! I actually enjoyed my experiences at the humpdome for some reason!

steff
11-22-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by DVG

Didn't they just finish the Anaheim facelift to the outfield in '99 or 2000? Made the park look 100% different.

hold2dibber
11-22-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Actually, I think Tiger Stadium is still standing. Or at least I have not heard about it being torn down. Also, the movie 61* was filmed there. So it just sits fallow in Detroit.

I think you're right. I heard a plan about a year ago (and saw architectural drawings) for turning Tiger Stadium into a residential development, with condos being built throughout the grandstand and the field being a big enclosed park. It looked pretty cool, but I don't think it's happening.

ma-gaga
11-22-2002, 09:06 AM

That's better than my reason:

french fries

steff
11-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Viva - Old Tiger stadium is gone. Quietly at the end of this season I was told, but I personally have not been back there since the begining of the season to say "yes".

AL best - OP@CY, Safeco, and The Ballpark in Arlington.
NL Best - Miller Park is sweet... but so is Arizona. And Pac Bell definitely deserves an honerable mention.

rmusacch
11-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by DVG

I went to Anaheim Stadium before the Disneyification. It was a nice ballpark. Looks like a very nice one now. My favorite NL ballpark is Turner Field, granted I have only been to Wrigley and the Astrodome for NL ballparks. My favorite AL ballpark is The Ballpark at Arlington. I have been to Comiskey I and II of course, Metrodome, Big A, the old Arlington Stadium, Fenway and the Ballpark. I liked Fenway a lot too.

Iwritecode
11-22-2002, 11:37 AM

:D:

Vic, you got me confused here. I don't see your name anywhere in this thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=38295#post38295)

maurice
11-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
I actually enjoyed my experiences at the humpdome for some reason!

It's strange watching a baseball game in what clearly is a football stadium. Usually, it's the other way around (football game in a baseball stadium). In any event, the Hump is MUCH nicer than the former Kingdome.

uksoxfan
11-22-2002, 01:39 PM
AL.......

1 Edison Field.
2 Comiskey
3 Oakland Coliseum
4 Tropicana field.

NL.........

1 Pac Bell.
2 Dodger Stadium.
3 Bank One Ballpark.
4 Wrigley
5 Qualcomm ( poor for baseball but good for football)

My overall favourite is Pac Bell & I think Comiskey isn't anywhere near as bad as many people say.

Zednem700
11-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Fenway

Iwritecode
11-22-2002, 03:25 PM
I've only been to one NL and one AL park. They are both in Chicago though...

Man, I need to get out more... :(:

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2002, 03:57 PM
My 3 favorite ballparks are all gone now.

1. Old Comiskey
2. Tiger Stadium
3. Milwaukee County Stadium

Of the ones today that I've visited, my favorites are:

A.L.: New Comiskey. The lower deck is the undisputed best in baseball.

N.L.: Busch Stadium. Easily the best of the donut stadiums, and the city has done a lot to add character to it in the last several years.

Note--I'm a huge critic of the fake "retro" ballparks like Camden Yards. They're too cute by half, nothing but adult amusement parks paid for with taxpayers' money. There isn't one of them that will ever payoff either.

Of the fake "retro" ballparks, the best I've been to is Jacobs Field. Of course it's the one that tries the least to look retro, which is why I probably like it. The worst is undoubtably Miller Field. A tribute to Ebbetts Field with a retractable roof? *****!

I predict today's post-modern ballparks will age even less gracefully than the 60's-vintage donut stadiums that everyone hates today. Every one of them is built on a false premise: that new ballparks can be made to "feel" old. People who believe this lie also believe Las Vegas hotels capture the essence of ancient Egypt and Rome, Paris, New York, Venice, a pirate ship, etcetera. It's The Wonderful World of Disney applied to professional sports venues. Bla!

I admit I'm in the minority here...

:gulp:

steff
11-22-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Zednem700
Fenway

Ack!! Really? What do you like about it? I was there for the All Star game and I thought it was horrible.

Cheryl
11-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Gerge beat me to it. My faves are Busch and Kauffman. Good sightlines, real grass (okay, not originally), comfortable, nothing faked about them. But then, I like Modern Architecture are opposed to PoMo.

Daver
11-22-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
That's better than my reason:

french fries

Do you like yours undercooked or greasy,we have both kinds........

Foulke You
11-22-2002, 04:35 PM
Besides the two Comiskey Parks...

AL: Fenway Park in Boston is one of the best baseball experiences I've had and is also a great city. Fenway reminds me a lot of Old Comiskey. Especially the support posts. :D: Just a beautiful old ballpark, nice Yankee hating fans who actually love the game (imagine that, an old ballpark filled with baseball fans, not frat boys and yuppies), Great food outside the park, but inside leaves much to be desired. Boston Beer Works microbrewery right next to the park was a great place to drink to the White Sox winning the series 2 out of 3. :gulp: Trust me, the best old ballpark experience that you can get right now is on Yawkey Way not Clark and Addison.

NL: Miller Park with the roof open is pretty nice. I've only been to 3 NL parks (Wrigley, Miller, and Busch) and I think Miller was the nicest. Great sightlines but sometimes I found it difficult to track the ball in the air. The park is an absolute monster of a building. I think you can fit New Comiskey inside of Miller Park. The only downside is that it is in Wisconsin :D:

Vsahajpal
11-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Vic, you got me confused here. I don't see your name anywhere in this thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=38295#post38295)

It matters not; that thread depicts the versatility, open-mindedness, and good nature that was WSI, pre-chicken little period...and it culminated with Messica.

Also miss conversing with Randar, Ian, and FWC. And I miss everyone trashing doub's top 23 lists, lol. Ah, good times. Lincoln Park blows. :D:

And who could forget the big letdown. Yeah, you know, when JM was going to turn the tide on the STS Coalition, but his icons just sucked, except for the automatic rifle one.

Thus, tomato.

Vsahajpal
11-22-2002, 05:20 PM
It matters not; that thread depicts the versatility, open-mindedness, and good nature that was WSI, pre-chicken little period...and it culminated with Messica.

Also miss conversing with Randar, Ian, Mooch and FWC. And I miss everyone trashing doub's top 23 lists, lol. Ah, good times. Lincoln Park blows. :D:

And who could forget the big letdown. Yeah, you know, when JM was going to turn the tide on the STS Coalition, but his icons just sucked, except for the automatic rifle one.

Thus, tomato.

Soxheads
11-22-2002, 05:31 PM

Also miss conversing with Randar, Ian, and FWC. And I miss everyone trashing doub's top 23 lists, lol. Ah, good times. Lincoln Park blows. :D:

Thus, tomato.

IT'S LINKIN PARK! :D:

Vsahajpal
11-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
IT'S LINKIN PARK! :D:

I know :)

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail16.html

Bobby Thigpen
11-22-2002, 06:29 PM
I'm new here so bear with me, but I have to say I absolutely detest Busch Stadium. On a hot day it reeks of stale beer and urine, the fans are obnoxious, and you can't watch the game because 80% of the time there's a beer man standing in your way. I was there in '99 to see Maggs hit a grand slam in the first and watch the Sox win despite 2 McGwire homers, and again in '01 to see the Sox lose on a Kerry Robinson homer. I also detest how Cardinal fans like to show their "knowledge" by cheering everything. Give me Comiskey and its supposed problems and great fans anyday.

Daver
11-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I'm new here so bear with me

Welcome aboard! :redneck

wassagstdu
11-22-2002, 06:59 PM
Best ballpark by far is Comiskey, even better than old Comiskey, which is no. 2. Outside Chicago I like Fenway mainly for the fans, who do know their baseball. You want intimate, take Crosley field. The players had to walk through the stands to get to the dugout. I liked Jack Murphy mainly for the way they handled the concessions, and lo and behold they copied that for Comiskey. Busch is awful but I like St. Louis fans. Worst by far, hands down: Camden. How can anyone who knows anything about baseball build a park with a short right field?! Unbelievable. The "fans" (the same who booed Eddie Murray out of town and loved Cal Ripken -- I was sitting next to a guy who said when Ripken handled a two hopper right at him belt high "He makes it look easy!") don't know the difference. Also very bad: Veterans/Riverfront/Three Rivers -- two down and one to go.

jortafan
11-22-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I predict today's post-modern ballparks will age even less gracefully than the 60's-vintage donut stadiums that everyone hates today. Every one of them is built on a false premise: that new ballparks can be made to "feel" old. People who believe this lie also believe Las Vegas hotels capture the essence of ancient Egypt and Rome, Paris, New York, Venice, a pirate ship, etcetera. It's The Wonderful World of Disney applied to professional sports venues. Bla!

For fear of sounding like the ultimate butt-kisser, I think this is one of the most intelligent posts I've ever read here. I've never understood why so many people think Comiskey is all that significantly different from any other 90's era stadium.
They all have extremely high upper decks. Their worst seats are just as bad as the ones in the top rows at Comiskey. They all were built to accomodate the needs of the sky-box crowd, rather than that of any fan who would want to sit in the bleachers.
And in Comiskey's favor is that the building came in under budget and was the least-expensive stadium of the era. When we're talking about buildings that are paid for with public tax monies, that is a verrrrrry important factor, moreso than whether the view out beyond the outfield adequately shows off the city's skyline.
I'm actually wondering how these buildings will be received three decades from now. Will they be as hated as the one-time Eighth Wonder of the World (the Astrodome), which actually was an engineering marvel? But I'm sure that's not a factor that Major League Baseball will concern itself with. By the 2020s, major league teams will probably be demanding entirely new stadiums to play in, to also be built on the taxpayer dollar.
Sorry I got onto my soapbox and preached so much here. As far as other stadiums, I actually don't think Busch Memorial in St. Louis is that bad. It has real bleacher seats and is right downtown so that people can just walk up and hang out afterward. That's one advantage it has over Comiskey.

SouthSideHitman
11-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Of the parks i've been to, Comiskey II's lower deck is the best i've seen. Otherwise, in the AL, Fenway is great if you're near the action and good anywhere else (i was by the jumbotron next to druken insurance agents), Municipal was too big but full of character.

In the NL, PNC is just a sublime park with nothing Disney or fake about it. Its the best place i could think of for the people of Pittsburgh to see a game.

Miller had no character, i sat in the upper deck (no worse than Comiskey's) and couldn't tell if i was at a baseball game at all. The place felt like a mall and nothing about it draws you in, Bernie doesn't even slide into a beer anymore.

An honorable mention goes out to Pac Bell, it looks beautiful and it was almost entirely privatly funded.

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-22-2002, 11:56 PM
I am so well travelled, Hah! I have only been to Old Sox Park and New Sox Park along with the two Brewer Parks. I have no complaints with New Sox Park as long as I am on the lower level. I heard someone say that Miller Park had no character. We had seats right behind third base and they were great. The lower level was wide open and there was plenty of room. Only complaint was that the tap beer was warm. :gulp:

nut_stock
11-23-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I was there in '99 to see Maggs hit a grand slam in the first and watch the Sox win despite 2 McGwire homers, and again in '01 to see the Sox lose on a Kerry Robinson homer.

I was at both of those games. When Maggs hit that grandslam I started yelling "MVP" high in the upperdeck. The other game I was sitting in the bleachers with my Sox jersey on getting ragged on the whole time. I almost considered removing the cardinals from 2nd favorite team status.

Too me, Busch was just an ok stadium. I never thought it was great by any means. I liked how it contained the roar of the crowd. You are correct about the stale beer smell. Also if you get there early, the bleach smell from the bathrooms is overpowering.
I like their downtown location, ease of getting too, cheap parking(if you know where to go). Comiskey blows the current Busch out of the water in my mind though. However the New Busch Stadium may alter my opinion drasticly.

DVG
11-23-2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Note--I'm a huge critic of the fake "retro" ballparks like Camden Yards. They're too cute by half, nothing but adult amusement parks paid for with taxpayers' money. There isn't one of them that will ever payoff either.

:gulp:

I'm with you on those points. I've never been to any of the
retro parks, but I'm not a fan of them. They have no soul, in
my opinion. Sure, they "look" old, but they aren't old. All spit,
no polish. And thet fact that attendance is down in most of
them proves that what fans want most of all is a winning
team on the field, not faux Ebbets Field wannabes complete
with choo-choo trains.

DVG
11-23-2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
For fear of sounding like the ultimate butt-kisser, I think this is one of the most intelligent posts I've ever read here. I've never understood why so many people think Comiskey is all that significantly different from any other 90's era stadium.
They all have extremely high upper decks. Their worst seats are just as bad as the ones in the top rows at Comiskey. They all were built to accomodate the needs of the sky-box crowd, rather than that of any fan who would want to sit in the bleachers.
And in Comiskey's favor is that the building came in under budget and was the least-expensive stadium of the era. When we're talking about buildings that are paid for with public tax monies, that is a verrrrrry important factor, moreso than whether the view out beyond the outfield adequately shows off the city's skyline.
I'm actually wondering how these buildings will be received three decades from now. Will they be as hated as the one-time Eighth Wonder of the World (the Astrodome), which actually was an engineering marvel? But I'm sure that's not a factor that Major League Baseball will concern itself with. By the 2020s, major league teams will probably be demanding entirely new stadiums to play in, to also be built on the taxpayer dollar.

You're preachin' to the choir here, mah brother.

Joel Perez
11-30-2002, 11:32 PM
AL Faves:

1) Safeco Field
2) Camden Yards
3) Yankee Stadium (gotta love the atmosphere after a few beers)
4) Fenway Park
5) Old Tiger Stadium

NL Faves:

1) Double M Ranch (Minute Maid Park--Houston)
2) Pac Bell Park
3) Turner Field
4) PNC Park--Pittsburgh...that view of Downtown and the Bridge is awesome!

hose
12-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Comiskey- favorite

New Comiskey- lower section is great.

County Stadium- little kid in row behind peed on my best friends leg who happens to be a Cub fan.

Tiger Stadium- glad I was able to see it before it was torn down

Big A- very grouchy senior crowd (1990) pre thunderstick.

Metrodome- seen sox clinch in 2000. also worst food in the bigs, actually threw a hotdog away. Seen Jeff Leifer hit the Dodge truck sign waaaaaaay up there in right, monster shot.

Wrigley Field- was there for night game with my company in the "sky box". Sammy Sosa broke his ankle on first base.

Dodger Stadium- very high and steep upper deck.

Jack Murphy- very small park

Tucson Electric- sitting back watching the Sox with fighter jets in the blue sky against the mountains taking off and landing at Davis AFB.

HawkDJ
12-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Well the only other parks besides Comiskey I've been to are Wrigley and Miller. So by process of elimination, my favorite out of town park is Miller Park. I'm pretty sure it would be one of my favorites even if I had gone to all parks. I'm not one for retro old-looking stadiums.

dougs78
12-01-2002, 11:30 AM
AL Ballparks:

1. Fenway Park
2. Jacob's Field
3. Camden Yards

NL Ballparks:

1. PNC Park
2. Miller Park

Absolute worst park in baseball:

1. Shea Stadium

Soxheads
12-01-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez

NL Faves:

1) Double M Ranch (Minute Maid Park--Houston)
2) Pac Bell Park
3) Turner Field
4) PNC Park--Pittsburgh...that view of Downtown and the Bridge is awesome!

I hear they also make some good food at Minute Maid.

SI1020
12-01-2002, 08:13 PM
I've read the criticisms of the retro parks. I live in a city with a retro park (PNC). Believe me, compared to Three Rivers it is pure heaven. I'm also old enough to remember old Forbes Field, which I visited a time or two. PNC is far superior to Forbes Field, although Forbes had many unique and charming quirks in addition to a number of baaaad seats. I've noticed Turner Field has some supporters here, but the place completely underwhelmed me. Next year, with a little luck my wife and I will visit Pac Bell and Safeco which we are looking forward to,

stingo
12-02-2002, 05:06 PM
I live in San Francisco, and in my contrarian opinion, I think PacBell is way overrated. They do everything but stamp a logo of a corporate sponsor on your forehead as you enter the park. The place would be nice if advertisements didn't cover every square inch. Once again, it's all about the money. Just goes to show how you and I in large part, not the owners, pay those ridiculous salaries...

Adding to the ridiculous aura of the place, there are video gaming stations in the walkway of the outfield, I guess for children who suffer acutely from ADD. How stupid is that? Also, that green skeletal coke bottle in left field is fn absurd.

<sacrilege>Dodger stadium is nicer</sacrilege>

Daver
12-02-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by stingo
I live in San Francisco, and in my contrarian opinion, I think PacBell is way overrated. They do everything but stamp a logo of a corporate sponsor on your forehead as you enter the park. The place would be nice if advertisements didn't cover every square inch. Once again, it's all about the money. Just goes to show how you and I in large part, not the owners, pay those ridiculous salaries...

Adding to the ridiculous aura of the place, there are video gaming stations in the walkway of the outfield, I guess for children who suffer acutely from ADD. How stupid is that? Also, that green skeletal coke bottle in left field is fn absurd.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Zednem700
12-02-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Ack!! Really? What do you like about it? I was there for the All Star game and I thought it was horrible.

Fantastic sight lines, except for the obstructed view seats. Its small size leads to a very intimate feeling. The place just oozes history and it just feels right. A baseball park in the middle of Boston has to be like Fenway. It has to be a bit crowded with weird dimensions. It has to look and feel old, like its been there before you were born and will be there after you're gone. It has to put you close to the team the city loves. It does all that and more, and that's why I like Fenway.

stingo
12-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Thanks, Daver!

In its defense, one thing PacBell does get right is in its accessibility via public transpo. There are a dozen ways to get there, other than by driving your car--light rail, bus, CalTrain, or just by walking from downtown. All stadiums should be so commuter-friendly. The traffic jams in and out of Dodger stadium are a nightmare. No wonder everyone gets there late and leaves early!

jortafan
12-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by stingo
Adding to the ridiculous aura of the place, there are video gaming stations in the walkway of the outfield, I guess for children who suffer acutely from ADD. How stupid is that?

Two things I must say.
1) If I remember right, the original Comiskey Park had video games set up under the stands behind home plate. Not that I ever saw anyone playing them.
2) The only real sacrilege to be expressed here is to say that the "Friendly Confines" are not a moldy old pit.