PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Renovations Continue

maurice
11-21-2002, 04:13 PM
They've done quite a bit of painting (as reported here previously) and do not appear to be letting up. Right now, it looks like they are painting the concrete portions of the stadium exterior and ramps silver/gray. Can't tell what's going on inside, though.

White Stocking
11-21-2002, 04:39 PM
I haven't heard much publicity about changes to Comiskey - I guess the Upper deck renovation is out the window, but has anyone heard of what aesthetic changes they are planning besides the fresh coat of paint......

balz1472
11-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Do you think they would actually let the fans know what we are going to be paying for in renovations? Probably not, that may make us shy away from season tickets this year...

Everytime I pass the stadium I hope to see something going on with that 'dreaded' upper deck, yet NOTHING! Just like trying to field a winning team... all talk no action!

MarkEdward
11-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by balz1472
Do you think they would actually let the fans know what we are going to be paying for in renovations? Probably not, that may make us shy away from season tickets this year...

Everytime I pass the stadium I hope to see something going on with that 'dreaded' upper deck, yet NOTHING! Just like trying to field a winning team... all talk no action!

Um, they've already announced a ticket price increase for 2003.

And what would you do to make the upper deck look better from the outside?

RedPinStripes
11-21-2002, 08:05 PM
I drove past the park a few times and it is looking pretty cool. I'm waiting for teh HR porch in RF. (Not Happening)

Viva Magglio
11-21-2002, 10:00 PM
I go past the ballpark each workday on the Metra Southwest (along tracks west of the park), and there are currently plastic windshields along the upper deck concourse. I presume they are renovating the that area the same way they renovated the lower deck concourse last offseason.

Hangar18
11-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Im looking for someone with a Helicopter,
to do a fly-over, and take pictures which we can post
here, and thereby Ruin Jerry Reinsdorfs secret plan
to paint the entire Stadium Black and Silver, without
telling the fans. What....did he think noone driving
by on the Dan Ryan Expy was going to notice?
I called the PR dept at Comiskey, and they said they
"couldnt talk about it". I think Comiskey in the off
season might be a secret ICBM secret Launch Site.

Hangar18
11-22-2002, 05:36 PM
that before the 2002 season, the Sox sent out season ticket
brochures, and with it, were pics and an outline of the
changes that were happening at Comiskey.
Included, was a full color picture of the outfield Concourse,
complete with fake, imitation Chicago Skyline. It looked
something out of the Old Town area. but when the season
opened, it wasnt there. I thought that was a great idea,
instead of looking at the bland, white painted concrete blocks
out there. I wonder what happened to the
Fake City Scape out there....

HITMEN OF 77
11-22-2002, 05:51 PM
I'd like to see the stadium painted white with the green just like the Old Roman Had it!

RedPinStripes
11-22-2002, 05:54 PM
I drove past the park today and it looked as if they are closing in the outer area of the upper deck. All i saw was plastic covering the walkk way behind the seats, but i did see some frame work behind the plastic . It could be something they're building or it might be part of the temporary work area. Not sure. Everything else seems to look pretty cool though. The black roof and outfield fence looks pretty neat.

voodoochile
11-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I'd like to see the stadium painted white with the green just like the Old Roman Had it!

Welcome aboard. You should check out the archives on the site. There are some great shots of the place before it was whitewashed. Still, the white paint is how I remember it too...

Daver
11-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I drove past the park today and it looked as if they are closing in the outer area of the upper deck. All i saw was plastic covering the walkk way behind the seats, but i did see some frame work behind the plastic . It could be something they're building or it might be part of the temporary work area. Not sure. Everything else seems to look pretty cool though. The black roof and outfield fence looks pretty neat.

The painters have scaffolding set up in there,that could be what you see behind the plastic.

Foulke You
11-22-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77

Actually, Charles Comiskey had the outside of Comiskey Park with it's original red brick exterior while he was alive. It wasn't until I believe in the 50s that they white washed the outside of the park because they felt Comiskey was starting to look like one of the many run down factories on the South Side.

RedPinStripes
11-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by daver
The painters have scaffolding set up in there,that could be what you see behind the plastic.

Probably. I figured they might be covering that up since it's cold as alasksa in early season. there are no warm spots in the upper deck even if you're by the consession stands.

TornLabrum
11-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Actually, Charles Comiskey had the outside of Comiskey Park with it's original red brick exterior while he was alive. It wasn't until I believe in the 50s that they white washed the outside of the park because they felt Comiskey was starting to look like one of the many run down factories on the South Side.

Bill Veeck had the ballpark whitewashed. I don't remember if it was during before the 1959 or 1960 season.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Bill Veeck had the ballpark whitewashed. I don't remember if it was during before the 1959 or 1960 season.

It was before 1960. I think it was the same day he traded for your favorite, Gene Freese.

:)

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-23-2002, 01:01 AM
After a couple of dozen beers, I am hoping for the return of the urinal troft. :gulp: Any word? :gulp:

Daver
11-23-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
After a couple of dozen beers, I am hoping for the return of the urinal troft. :gulp: Any word? :gulp:

The trough is a violation of IL plumbing code,and cannot be grandfathered in.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-23-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by daver
The trough is a violation of IL plumbing code,and cannot be grandfathered in.

George Ryan is still governor for a few more weeks. I bet we can make it happen!

To the trough!!!!

:gulp:

mrwag
11-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Ok, I have asked this before, but could someone with a digital camera drive by and take some pics of all this?

pearso66
11-25-2002, 12:47 PM
i cant wait until wednesday, i finally get to drive past the new looking comisky, its been a long time since ive been past it