PDA

View Full Version : The Moron & Sham-ME: A Love Story

cheeses_h_rice
11-20-2002, 11:38 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay20.html

I particularly liked this part:

Production is what matters, not the volume of one's boombox. It's almost scary to ponder why Sosa has so many detractors, considering he has been a source of pride for a franchise that otherwise has none. Sometimes you wonder if certain fans in this city are unwilling to throw unconditional love at a Latin superstar, particularly with the masses so quick to embrace a white linebacker named Brian Urlacher.

Yeah, those Sox fans and their hatred of Latin players like Ozzie Guillen and Magglio Ordonez... It's a good thing Sham-ME shows up just to play, doesn't showboat, acts like he's been there, takes one for the team, etc. etc. etc....JUST LIKE URLACHER.

baggio202
11-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay20.html

I particularly liked this part:

Yeah, those Sox fans and their hatred of Latin players like Ozzie Guillen and Magglio Ordonez... It's a good thing Sham-ME shows up just to play, doesn't showboat, acts like he's been there, takes one for the team, etc. etc. etc....JUST LIKE URLACHER.

ahh gheezzz..here we go again...lets play the race card..anyone who doesnt like sosa niow must be a racist..f**in liberals!!!

Blueprint1
11-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Maybe people dont like him because hes a JERK. When I was a kid he was yelling all kinds of unfanfriendly things at the people in the outfield of old Comiskey. Yes people were giving him a hard time because a very popular player was give up for him. Thats part of the game though. I think that is Sammy treats fans this way I can't imagine how he treats teamates. I wonder how he treats a teamate that he doesnt get along with? This is why Sammy is not liked by some people. I think most sports fans could care less what color you skin is. If your a good player and fan friendly most people will like you. The most popular players in chicago in the last ten years have not been white in Jordan and Payton. This is a non-issue people dont liek Sammy because he is a JERK

voodoochile
11-20-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
ahh gheezzz..here we go again...lets play the race card..anyone who doesnt like sosa niow must be a racist..f**in liberals!!!

That's not a liberal concept, it is a MORON concept...

Please do not try to circumvent the swearing filters by intentionally misspelling the words...

bc2k
11-20-2002, 01:21 PM
When I started reading this thread, I thought this was one that was dug up from a while ago. I remember reading a very similar Moronotti column suggesting that Sosa wasn't getting fan respect because of his race. This is the same damn column but now with the Urlacher reference.

This guy is running out of stories which is hard to do when you make them up. This is libel to all Chicago fans.

SI1020
11-20-2002, 01:48 PM
One of the things I used to brag about as a Chicagoan and ex- Chicagoan was its strong literary tradition from columnists to playrights to novelists. This guy just puts all that to shame and I mean that in the worst sense of the word. Not only that he is shameless. It would be great to perhaps run into J at one of those trendy bars he goes to and accidentally spill my drink in his lap - or on his head.

cheeses_h_rice
11-20-2002, 02:09 PM
What really gets me about the Moron and his supposed take on Chicago's relationship with Sham-ME is his calculated air of disingenousness and absurd reductionist reasoning. Surely no rational human being with even a tiny bit of experience with Chicago sports actually truly believes that because you don't like Sham-ME Sosa, you must be some sort of closet racist. As has been pointed out in this and other threads, Chicago has touted guys like Frank Thomas, Leon Durham, Ozzie Guillen, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Luis Aparicio, Magglio Ordonez, Bo Jackson, Dick Allen, Walter Payton, Gayle Sayers, and other minority athletes at least as much as (if not more than) Dick Butkus, Brian Urlacher, Mark Grace, Bruce Sutter, Nellie Fox, and other white athletes. But the last thing in the world the Moron would ever admit is that Sosa's antics have alienated a great many sports fans of all stripes, as well as his teammates ("f*ck my teammates" the great one was quoted as saying), and as well as sportswriters. No one here is denying what a great power hitter Sosa is. But, there's more to being a great sportsman than smacking a ball really hard. Intangibles like playing for the betterment of one's team (including situational hitting), downplaying personal achievement in times of one's team's struggles (i.e. not coming out of the dugout to take a bow when your team is being pounded 10-2), not showing up opposing pitchers by hopping when you hit a routine fly ball, not taking days off for a "personal matter" and then showing up at a meaningless Home Run derby (and then, taking that way too seriously)...bah, I could go on, but I think most of us here are well acquainted with the many transgressions that this great "sportsman" has committed.

But nope, in Jay Moronotti's eyes, just because I bash on Sosa, I must hate Latino guys. That's some airtight logic there.

DVG
11-20-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
What really gets me about the Moron and his supposed take on Chicago's relationship with Sham-ME is his calculated air of disingenousness and absurd reductionist reasoning. Surely no rational human being with even a tiny bit of experience with Chicago sports actually truly believes that because you don't like Sham-ME Sosa, you must be some sort of closet racist. As has been pointed out in this and other threads, Chicago has touted guys like Frank Thomas, Leon Durham, Ozzie Guillen, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Luis Aparicio, Magglio Ordonez, Bo Jackson, Dick Allen, Walter Payton, Gayle Sayers, and other minority athletes at least as much as (if not more than) Dick Butkus, Brian Urlacher, Mark Grace, Bruce Sutter, Nellie Fox, and other white athletes. But the last thing in the world the Moron would ever admit is that Sosa's antics have alienated a great many sports fans of all stripes, as well as his teammates ("f*ck my teammates" the great one was quoted as saying), and as well as sportswriters. No one here is denying what a great power hitter Sosa is. But, there's more to being a great sportsman than smacking a ball really hard. Intangibles like playing for the betterment of one's team (including situational hitting), downplaying personal achievement in times of one's team's struggles (i.e. not coming out of the dugout to take a bow when your team is being pounded 10-2), not showing up opposing pitchers by hopping when you hit a routine fly ball, not taking days off for a "personal matter" and then showing up at a meaningless Home Run derby (and then, taking that way too seriously)...bah, I could go on, but I think most of us here are well acquainted with the many transgressions that this great "sportsman" has committed.

But nope, in Jay Moronotti's eyes, just because I bash on Sosa, I must hate Latino guys. That's some airtight logic there.

Well, he can't say Sosa is hated because he's black. That flies
in the face of all logic when you consider the list of athletes
that you touted. Even an ignoramus like Mariotti knows that.
I just wonder what is going through his brain. I did want to rant
myself about this cheap shot, but you wrote pretty much
everything I was thinking.

The late, great Mike Royko had that idiot pegged from the
moment Mariotti set foot in town. He wrote a couple of
brutal, brilliant articles bashing JM. I wish he were here to
read the tripe Jay put out today. Since he isn't I'll close by
paraphrasing one of his most famous quotes: No self-
respecting fish would consent to be wrapped in one of
Mariotti's articles.

voodoochile
11-20-2002, 04:27 PM
So, should we assume that Jay doesn't like Frank because he is black? After all, he is the only black starter on the team...

cheeses_h_rice
11-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So, should we assume that Jay doesn't like Frank because he is black? After all, he is the only black starter on the team...

Good point.

:moron

Err, see, that situation is different. Um, see, the thing is, I just have an agenda that I'm pursuing, regardless of logic. OK, you happy now?

OneDog
11-20-2002, 04:57 PM
How does a guy with point-of-views as moronic as the moron's get to appear DAILY ON NATIONAL TELEVISION. ESPN needs to get that piece of **** off America's TV sets before he infects te nation with his ANTI-Sox doctrine.