PDA

View Full Version : Owners Meeting Today


duke of dorwood
11-20-2002, 10:21 AM
From NY Post:

"The owners will be meeting today in Dallas and one item on the agenda is setting a payroll in the $45-million range for the Montreal Orphans. All the owners in the form of MLB are the foster parents for the Orphans.

Once payroll is set, you can be sure Montreal GM Omar Minaya will again have to pare payroll. Colon, who is due to make $8.25 million this season and is a free agent after 2003, will be available. The Yankees can become a dominant pitching force again because of Luxury Tax Bud's handiwork. "

The paper is saying a trade to the Yankees for Nik Johnson and another is quite possible.

cornball
11-20-2002, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by duke of dorwood
[B]From NY Post:

"The owners will be meeting today in Dallas and one item on the agenda is setting a payroll in the $45-million range for the Montreal Orphans.



Thats funny thats the same payroll budget we have.....

hold2dibber
11-21-2002, 08:21 AM
Today's Trib reports that the Expos will be playing 20 games in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and because of the guaranteed income to be derived from those games, the Expos will not have to dump salaries.

cornball
11-21-2002, 08:31 AM
The numbers of the anticipated budget of the Sox makes no sense to me at all. It seems to me they should have a budget of 60-70 million.

If you consider attendance, the stadium arrangements, salaries, tv and radio...ect...as compared to the Phillies, Angels, Astros , Tigers......ect tell me other than JR iron fist where this makes sense.

The attendance issue should be a moot point if i recall the stadium deal of new comisky....what up with that?

doublem23
11-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by cornball

The attendance issue should be a moot point if i recall the stadium deal of new comisky....what up with that?

:reinsy
Shhhhh.... Don't blow my cover.

jeremyb1
11-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by cornball
The numbers of the anticipated budget of the Sox makes no sense to me at all. It seems to me they should have a budget of 60-70 million.

If you consider attendance, the stadium arrangements, salaries, tv and radio...ect...as compared to the Phillies, Angels, Astros , Tigers......ect tell me other than JR iron fist where this makes sense.

The attendance issue should be a moot point if i recall the stadium deal of new comisky....what up with that?

well we were around 60 million to begin last season. i guess we have to see where it ends up after all is said and done.

Iwritecode
11-21-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by cornball
The attendance issue should be a moot point if i recall the stadium deal of new comisky....what up with that?

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to read all about the clause that gives JR absolutely no insentive whatsoever to try and draw fans to the ballpark. Cause if the fans start showing up, he'd have to pay rent...


Click here (http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/bb00sta-1.htm)

cornball
11-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Exactly, and for a stadium he put no money in....so where is this massive overhead.....why cant we afford a salary range in the upper half of the league as opposed to 18th at the start of the season before dumping (Durham,Lofton,Clayton and Alomar) salaries for this year.

Understanding these guys would be free agents anyway, but at the same time, you got nothing for them and over 14 million was taken off to start this year.

Part of this will be made up with increases for current players, (the largest bump from the increase in the minimum salary...ha)

The Giants were the 10th highest payroll, with a payroll of 78MM at the start of the season, before down the stretch acquisitions....

It boils down to having an owner that want to win....and make a commitment.....ala Jerry C.

OneDog
11-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to read all about the clause that gives JR absolutely no insentive whatsoever to try and draw fans to the ballpark. Cause if the fans start showing up, he'd have to pay rent...


Click here (http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/bb00sta-1.htm)

Thanks for the link

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the attendance figures at Comiskey for the last couple of seasons were. According to this document, if attendance dropped below 1.2 mil, JR would not have to pay rent. Also, if attendance dropped below 1.5 mil, the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority would have to buy 300,000 tix. I'd like to know if this ever actually came to pass.

SI1020
11-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to read all about the clause that gives JR absolutely no insentive whatsoever to try and draw fans to the ballpark. Cause if the fans start showing up, he'd have to pay rent...


Click here (http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/bb00sta-1.htm) Great link. I love the line that begins "Then, in one of those magic moments so common in Illinois politics," ..... If I'm not mistaken ex gov Big Jim Thompson is a cubs fan.

SI1020
11-21-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Thanks for the link

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the attendance figures at Comiskey for the last couple of seasons were. According to this document, if attendance dropped below 1.2 mil, JR would not have to pay rent. Also, if attendance dropped below 1.5 mil, the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority would have to buy 300,000 tix. I'd like to know if this ever actually came to pass. Comiskey II attendance figures from 1991-2001. 94 is a strike year. 97 is WF trade year.
Year Attendance Rank in AL
1991 2934154 2
1992 2681156 3
1993 2581091 3
1994 1697398 5
1995 1609773 9
1996 1676403 9
1997 1864782 8
1998 1609773 9
1999 1338851 13
2000 1947799 9
2001 1766872 12

MisterB
11-21-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by SI1020
Comiskey II attendance figures from 1991-2001. 94 is a strike year. 97 is WF trade year.
Year Attendance Rank in AL
1991 2934154 2
1992 2681156 3
1993 2581091 3
1994 1697398 5
1995 1609773 9
1996 1676403 9
1997 1864782 8
1998 1609773 9
1999 1338851 13
2000 1947799 9
2001 1766872 12

add to that:
Year Attendance Rank in AL
2002 1676911 10

SI1020
11-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
add to that:
Year Attendance Rank in AL
2002 1676911 10 Thanks for the update. I also should have added that 1995 was a shortened season of 144 games.