PDA

View Full Version : What do the Sox need this offseason?

chisox06
11-19-2002, 08:58 PM
I can see three major gaps in the sox for next year.

1.) Center field, I dont trust a guy like Rowand in center field all year long, he is unproven and obviously center field is a very key poisition, I sure would like to have Lofton back in center.

2.) Another proven starter, this has been the hot topic and I think it should be the Sox number one priority.

3.) Catcher, Mark Johnson, Miguel Olivo, or Josh Paul, Im sorry but thats a pretty iffy list for guys behind the plate for next year. With the Sox young pitchers it would be nice to have a veteran catcher behind the plate.

I'm no baseball expert but I belive these are the key areas where the Sox desperately need to make some changes if they want to contend for the AL central next year. Anything else you guys can add?

idseer
11-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by chisox06

1.) Center field, I dont trust a guy like Rowand in center field all year long, he is unproven and obviously center field is a very key poisition, I sure would like to have Lofton back in center.

2.) Another proven starter, this has been the hot topic and I think it should be the Sox number one priority.

3.) Catcher, Mark Johnson, Miguel Olivo, or Josh Paul, Im sorry but thats a pretty iffy list for guys behind the plate for next year. With the Sox young pitchers it would be nice to have a veteran catcher behind the plate.

I'm no baseball expert but I belive these are the key areas where the Sox desperately need to make some changes if they want to contend for the AL central next year. Anything else you guys can add?

i might add ss, tho i doubt anything will be done about it. jose won't be getting better at this point in his career and jimenez is still an unknown factor.
also the manager's position is a key area that will come into play again.

hold2dibber
11-19-2002, 10:12 PM

I agree with everything except bringing Lofton back; if I had my druthers, they'd get Steve Finley or Vernon Wells , but that ain't happening. In any event, the starting pitching is by far the most important of these areas

Daver
11-19-2002, 10:27 PM

I would not object to letting Joe Borchard start the season in CF,he is not ready for this level,but neither was Robin Ventura,and in the long run he is a better alernative to anyone else the Sox have.

Not a whole lot out there in the FA market as far as pitching goes,unless you want to overpay for a veteran,I can see the Sox going after Paul Byrd though.

I have posted the list of FA catchers available,none of them are a better alternative to Mark Johnson,I can live with the Josh and Mark show till Miguel is ready,face it,the alternative could be Lee Evans,I would not wish that on the Sox at any cost.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

WinningUgly!
11-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by daver

WOW, haven't seen that for a while. http://www.themorlocks.com/talk/images/smiles/gene.gif

Jerry_Manuel
11-19-2002, 11:17 PM

Is it just me or do we say this every single year?

Lip Man 1
11-19-2002, 11:19 PM
What do the Sox need?

How about George Steinbrenner to buy them, Pat Gillick to be the G.M. and somebody like "Dusty" Baker, Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox, Mike Scoscia or Lou Piniella to be the field manager. (or is that asking too much to start?????)
Lip

bc2k
11-19-2002, 11:45 PM

Now that Bruce Kimm is under contract, I can't think of any areas that need improvement.

You've added a copyright symbol I see. Nice.

Daver
11-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

You've added a copyright idea I see. Nice.

That copyright is a longrunning joke that dates back to the beginnings of this Board,it is nothing new,I just stopped using it.

:)

jeremyb1
11-20-2002, 12:28 AM

i think as long as he recovers from his surgery rowand is a fine centerfielder. i often see that attitude where some fans seem to think we need an all-star calliber hitter at every position and i don't think that's the case. kenny lofton was absolutely horrendous for us after the first month of the season. from that point on he hit below .250 if i recall corectly. more importantly, i thought rowand looked much better in centerfield than lofton. lofton was faster than rowand even though he's lost a step but he took absolutely horrendous routes to the ball. a scout made the same comment in si's baseball preview last season but i didn't realize it would be as poor as it was. rowand isn't the fleetest of foot but he takes much better routes to the ball that lofton and he has a very strong arm (buehrle's bid for 20 when he threw a runner out tagging to third from the warning track) especially in comparison to lofton's surgically repaired arm.

as for catcher, i feel like this is another position where we're in pretty good shape. a catcher doesn't have to be an outstanding hitter, its a largely defensive position. that said, olivo looks like he will hit at least for a catcher. right now we have a lefty and a righty in olivo and johnson that are both excellent defensive catchers. olivo needs some work on his game calling but johnson calls a very good game. if you look at the numbers he has a very good cera (the team era when he's behind the plate) and he could easily split time with olivo.

WinningUgly!
11-20-2002, 12:29 AM
That copyright is a longrunning joke that dates back to the beginnings of this Board,it is nothing new,I just stopped using it.

:)

It's stolen from Uncle Car...He'll probably have you in court over it. :D:

voodoochile
11-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
It's stolen from Uncle Car...He'll probably have you in court over it. :D:

I thought that was BlackKnight and his dirty volleyball pictures who threatened to sue...

but what the heck does Daver know &copy

NewyorkSoxFan
11-20-2002, 07:38 AM
I thought this is hot stove baseball season? Why is our stove always friggin' cold.

NYSF

jortafan
11-20-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I thought this is hot stove baseball season? Why is our stove always friggin' cold.

NYSF

because "coal" costs money, and Uncle JR isn't going to spend it because attendance is down. So it's our own fault. Foolish us.

harwar
11-20-2002, 08:59 AM
I'd like to see KW make an offer for Vazquez or Ohka.However:If Glavine goes to boston then the Braves prob go for Vazquez.

Paulwny
11-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I'd like to see KW make an offer for Vazquez or Ohka.However:If Glavine goes to boston then the Braves prob go for Vazquez.

Boston will pass on Glavin.
From the Boston Globe:

The Sox have targeted Cuban defector Jose Contreras as their No. 1 pitching priority; Contreras, currently in Miami, is expected to seek residency in a third country within the next week, which would allow him to become a free agent. The Sox also will be watching with interest what budget limitations commissioner Bud Selig will set on the Montreal Expos, the team operated by Major League Baseball; if it's low, the Expos may be forced to consider trade offers for Bartolo Colon or Javier Vazquez.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/324/sports/Sox_won_t_go_after_Glavine+.shtml

hold2dibber
11-20-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Boston will pass on Glavin.
From the Boston Globe:

The Sox have targeted Cuban defector Jose Contreras as their No. 1 pitching priority; Contreras, currently in Miami, is expected to seek residency in a third country within the next week, which would allow him to become a free agent. The Sox also will be watching with interest what budget limitations commissioner Bud Selig will set on the Montreal Expos, the team operated by Major League Baseball; if it's low, the Expos may be forced to consider trade offers for Bartolo Colon or Javier Vazquez.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/324/sports/Sox_won_t_go_after_Glavine+.shtml

If the Expos have to deal Colon and/or Vazquez, particularly in light of the dearth of good young FA pitchers out there, there will be a serious bidding war which, if the Expos are smart about it, will drive up the trade value of these guys. For the Sox that probably means we'll be out of luck or that KW gives up the farm.

34 Inch Stick
11-20-2002, 09:48 AM
Please do not bring us another Contreras.

baggio202
11-20-2002, 11:38 AM
how about new management :gulp:

NewyorkSoxFan
11-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Maybe my breathren could weigh in on this.

I was thinking today about the Sox reasoning, outside of money dictating every decision. Do they think about the intangibles that come with signing a Glavine or Maddux. Imagine the experience that Garland, Wright, Biddle, and the other young pitchers would learn watching one of those guys strap it on every 5 days and pitch. Talking baseball and their techniques and just being with potential Hall of fame pitchers is worth alot more that they seem to think.

Even Mark B. talked about the effect of Wells on his pitching, and although he can be a nut case, the guy knows how to get guys out. It seems to me that 10 million for one of them would be a small price to pay for the effect that it would have on those young pitchers. It is not a coincidence that the Braves always have pitchers that come up and produce. Besides talent which all our pitchers have, its what's between their ears that will either make them good or great.

Sometimes our management team seems so shortsighted in its approach to building the team.

Just one Sox fans opinion.

NYSF

WinningUgly!
11-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I thought that was BlackKnight and his dirty volleyball pictures who threatened to sue...

but what the heck does Daver know &copy

You're right, I get my trolls mixed up. Me need a troll Hall of Shame.

maurice
11-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
the intangibles that come with signing a Glavine or Maddux.

You're quite right. Unfortunately, JR repeatedly has expressed that he's not going to drop big cash and a long-term contract on a pitcher, especially an older pitcher.

ScottyTheSoxFan
11-21-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Please do not bring us another Contreras.

i believe that it is boston getting him. besides, why would kw think of bringing a prize FA here anyway