PDA

View Full Version : nightengale: byrd atop our list

jeremyb1
11-19-2002, 08:47 PM
in the most recent baseball weekly, bog nightengale reports "free agent starter paul byrd is atop the white sox's wish list". this seems to conflict with rosenthal's reports that moyer is our number one target. i guess we just have to wait and see what - if anything - happens.

jeremyb1
11-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
in the most recent baseball weekly, bog nightengale reports "free agent starter paul byrd is atop the white sox's wish list". this seems to conflict with rosenthal's reports that moyer is our number one target. i guess we just have to wait and see what - if anything - happens.

in a different section of the same edition of baseball weekly it is said that maddux, glavine, and clemens are not likely candidates but that we'll most likely go after "second tier arms" such as byrd, omar daal, or ismael valdes. i don't know that the last two fit the bill of a solid veteran no. 2 starter but i think they're solid, underrated pitchers and that whoever signs them will get a good deal in this buyers market.

hold2dibber
11-19-2002, 10:08 PM
I would be okay with signing any of those guys, though I prefer Daal to the other two. I fear that Byrd just had his career year and he has been inconsistent throughout his career. Valdes is also somewhat erratic and prone to blisters. I think Daal may be about to hit his peak and have a few solid, 15-win type seasons.

What I'd really like to see is the Sox dealing to pick up Colon or some other true no. 2 and than signing one of these guys to replace one of the young pitchers that they would have to give up to get the no.2 guy. That would mean a rotation of, for example:

Buehrle
Colon
Daal
and two of Wright/Garland/Rauch/Biddle (depending upon who went in the trade for the no. 2 guy)

bc2k
11-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

What I'd really like to see is the Sox dealing to pick up Colon or some other true no. 2 and than signing one of these guys to replace one of the young pitchers that they would have to give up to get the no.2 guy. That would mean a rotation of, for example:

Buehrle
Colon
Daal
and two of Wright/Garland/Rauch/Biddle (depending upon who went in the trade for the no. 2 guy)

Your post is what the plan should have been going into this offseason. If this was the plan, I believe the Lidle (#4 starter) trade would have gone through.

So I'm left to believe KW and JR are looking for a free agent to fill our #2 starter role and letting the kids fill the 3-5 positions. Their plan is to catch lightning in a bottle with a second tier free agent and hope he beats expectations (like Cal Eldred). Since they won't even consider Maddux or Glavine, they deserve much criticism if their "Eldred" turns out like their Ritchie. It's one thing for us fans to pipedream, but for the owner and GM? Disgusting.

jeremyb1
11-20-2002, 12:21 AM
I would be okay with signing any of those guys, though I prefer Daal to the other two. I fear that Byrd just had his career year and he has been inconsistent throughout his career. Valdes is also somewhat erratic and prone to blisters. I think Daal may be about to hit his peak and have a few solid, 15-win type seasons.

Buehrle
Colon
Daal

the problem i have with that is that its incredibly unlikely that we'd be able to sign a player like colon after this season. if he has a season anything like he did last season he'd require upwards of 10 million dollars to resign and since we're unable to sign clemens, maddux, or glavine due to the fact that they'd command that much there's no reason to believe we'd be able to sign colon. that would result in us trading 6 years of jon rauch and probably several other highly valuable players in return for one year of colon. personally i'd only be willing to sacrifice that for a world series and i don't think the odds are very good we'd acheive that next season even with colon. if our season is going particularly well and it looks like a series birth is a distinct possibility at the deadline we should seriously consider a trade of that nature but there's still a lot of room for error there. think houston would take freddy garcia, halama, and carlos guillen back for the two months they had randy johnson right now? i think so and johnson is a five time cy young award winner.

duke of dorwood
11-20-2002, 08:44 AM
The way we trade, I d rather sign a FA and give up nothing than give up more than anyone else would for a player.

hold2dibber
11-20-2002, 09:31 AM
the problem i have with that is that its incredibly unlikely that we'd be able to sign a player like colon after this season. if he has a season anything like he did last season he'd require upwards of 10 million dollars to resign and since we're unable to sign clemens, maddux, or glavine due to the fact that they'd command that much there's no reason to believe we'd be able to sign colon. that would result in us trading 6 years of jon rauch and probably several other highly valuable players in return for one year of colon. personally i'd only be willing to sacrifice that for a world series and i don't think the odds are very good we'd acheive that next season even with colon. if our season is going particularly well and it looks like a series birth is a distinct possibility at the deadline we should seriously consider a trade of that nature but there's still a lot of room for error there. think houston would take freddy garcia, halama, and carlos guillen back for the two months they had randy johnson right now? i think so and johnson is a five time cy young award winner.

I used Colon as an example, but in any event, I, of course, agree, and would only be interested in trading for Colon if a contract extension could be worked out in advance.

baggio202
11-20-2002, 11:36 AM
our big coup this off season will be the signing of jaimey wright!!!!...yes KW will tell us all how his scouts have been following jamiey's career for 3 years now and they feel that he is finally over all his chronic arm problems and is finally ready to reach his potential as the number 1 starter he was tabbed to be 7 years ago...

flash forward to march 25th '03...the white sox released jaimey wright after a spring training era of 50.50...white sox GM kenny williams said "we didnt like jaimey's curveball - didnt feel it was major league material"

jeremyb1
11-20-2002, 01:24 PM
I used Colon as an example, but in any event, I, of course, agree, and would only be interested in trading for Colon if a contract extension could be worked out in advance.

thing is i can't think of too many trade targets that are under contract for much more than a year or two. if we were to go after vazquez instead of colon we'd have him for two years which is better but still isn't a really long time. the problem is any player of colon's quality is going to cost more to resign than we claim to be willing or able to spend at this point. it kind of seems like a no win situation to me. i'd rather just aquire a free agent because then at the most we'd lose a draft pick and all the financial terms would be taken care of prior to acquring the player.

hold2dibber
11-20-2002, 01:44 PM
thing is i can't think of too many trade targets that are under contract for much more than a year or two. if we were to go after vazquez instead of colon we'd have him for two years which is better but still isn't a really long time. the problem is any player of colon's quality is going to cost more to resign than we claim to be willing or able to spend at this point. it kind of seems like a no win situation to me. i'd rather just aquire a free agent because then at the most we'd lose a draft pick and all the financial terms would be taken care of prior to acquring the player.

I don't think it would be too difficult to lock up Vazquez to a 3 or 4 year deal. I would want to work the deal out with Colon before finalizing the trade for him. And the problem with going the FA route is, there just isn't much out there. The really good guys are really old and will be really expensive. After that, its pretty much okay guys who may not be an upgrade over what we already have, but will cost more.