PDA

View Full Version : The Washington Expos?

Daver
11-19-2002, 08:01 PM
Odds are getting better by the minute. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2002-11-15-dc-stadium_x.htm)

hold2dibber
11-21-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by daver
Odds are getting better by the minute. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2002-11-15-dc-stadium_x.htm)

I've heard rumors that MLB would have to compensate Angelos if they brought a team to D.C. Any idea if that is true? And if so, why? Do all teams have some type of geographic protection guaranteed by MLB?

White Stocking
11-21-2002, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure if it was MLB compenations, or the Orioles actually suing MLB for loss of market. I guess they're skating thin over there in Baltimore as it is - obviously Camden Yards has lost it's magical touch. And to think that they have the awesome drawing power of Chris Singleton :cool:

duke of dorwood
11-21-2002, 04:27 PM
It aint the park, its the team. The Orioles, known for loyal fans, have not been competitive for some time, and no Cal Ripkin. It was bound to happen. They draw pretty well for the crap they put on the field.

hold2dibber
11-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by White Stocking
I'm not sure if it was MLB compenations, or the Orioles actually suing MLB for loss of market. I guess they're skating thin over there in Baltimore as it is - obviously Camden Yards has lost it's magical touch. And to think that they have the awesome drawing power of Chris Singleton :cool:

I went to Camden for the first time last summer and I also went to Miller Park for the first time. I definitely enjoyed Camden, but I liked Miller better.

whitesoxwilkes
11-21-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I went to Camden for the first time last summer and I also went to Miller Park for the first time. I definitely enjoyed Camden, but I liked Miller better.

Camden is my favorite AL park, besides Comiskey of course, and Miller is my favorite NL.

Daver
11-21-2002, 07:23 PM
I've heard rumors that MLB would have to compensate Angelos if they brought a team to D.C. Any idea if that is true?

Angelos has discussed with Bud Selig and other MLB owners a compensation plan in order to NOT bring a lawsuit against the league should they put a team in Washington DC.

guillen4life13
11-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by White Stocking

a belated welcome to WSI. Just an FYI for you, in case you didn't know: the "White Stockings" is the former name of the Chicago Cubs. :bart

OneDog
11-21-2002, 07:53 PM
I've heard rumors that MLB would have to compensate Angelos if they brought a team to D.C. Any idea if that is true? And if so, why? Do all teams have some type of geographic protection guaranteed by MLB?

I don't know if all teams have guaranteed geographic protection, or whatever the rule is called. Apparently, if there is such a rule, it doesn't exist in New York, Chicago, or Southern California.

But I don't think that Angelos is the only thing keeping the DC Expos from coming into existence. For some reason America's Pastime in America's Capital seems snakebitten. There have been two different Washington Senators teams in MLB. The first moved to Minnesota, and the second moved to Texas. For some reason, baseball seems reluctant to try Washington for the third time.

DC Sox Fan
11-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Wow- finally a topic I can add something useful too :cool:
Anyway, the market here is more than ripe for a team. Everyone in DC (and most of the Baltimorons) hate Angelos. He has said what damage a team in DC would do to his O's, but then moved back the starting time of games a couple years back. When DC fans protested it wouldn't give them enough time to get to games, he said "This isn't Washington's team, this is Baltimore's team." Now he starts crying again...

The Senators relocated twice when owners could move their teams with ease. They did much much better attendance wise than several of today's teams. With this area (DC) growing so rapidly, MLB would be crazy not to move a team here.

Of course I will still make the trip up to Balmur to see my beloved SOX come to town, but now I will be able to heckle the bejeebus out of the Flubs when they come to DC :D:

MisterB
11-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
I don't know if all teams have guaranteed geographic protection, or whatever the rule is called. Apparently, if there is such a rule, it doesn't exist in New York, Chicago, or Southern California.

Any franchise moves must be approved by the other team owners (I believe a 3/4ths majority in the same league and a simple majority in the other league), but in the case of moving a team to an already 'occupied' market, the existing team has a de facto right of refusal due to threat of lawsuit against the league to either block or seek compensation for such a move.

For example: MLB decides to move the Expos to NE New Jersey. The NY metro area could easily support another team (or two), and although it would really only need the approval of 75%+1 of NL owners and 50%+1 of AL owners, the almost certain lawsuit from the Yankees & Mets would make such a move so costly as to be virtually impossible.

DVG
11-22-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by OneDog

The teams in New York and Chicago have agreements that have
been in place since the turn of the 20th Century. The AL
"invaded" the cities when it was an "outlaw" league off-
ering itself as direct competition to the NL and raiding its teams for stars.

ma-gaga
11-22-2002, 10:13 AM
ahh... it comes down to money. If they 'grease' Coangelo's palms enough his lawsuits' against 'territorial rights' will disappear faster than a waffle in front of David Wells.

I've been hearing about this Malek group for the last couple of years. It sounds like the community is ready for a team, but they just can't seem to get that ownership group finalized, or stadium plan in place. DC wants a team but doesn't want to pay for a stadium either. ...

I've heard Camden is nice, real nice, top stadium in the AL. Pac Bell tops the NL. Those are the two on my list.

Procol Harum
11-22-2002, 10:55 AM
The DC area has had the population and the interest to have a MLB team for 20 years--I hope that they finally do overcome Oriole perfidy and land the Expos. It's ironic that Robert Short moved Senators II to Texas just as the Washington area was beginning to boom.

It's hard to imagine now--given all the corporate and legal growth that has accompanied the expansion of the Federal Gov't since the 1960s--but strip away the national monuments and the downtown Federal strip along the Mall, and the DC area back then was a pretty sleepy burg. As JFK said about DC in 1961: "It has all the efficiency of a Southern city, and all the charm of a Northern city."

DC Sox Fan
11-22-2002, 03:50 PM
The different ownership group situation is pretty interesting... there is a group that wants to build a stadium in Northern VA, one that has tried to have one in DC and now the owner of BET is teaming up with Danny Snyder ('Skins owner) to put in for one. Skyrocketing land cost is the main issue in DC. Most people I believe want a downtown ballpark. The DC gov't has promised to give some money for a stadium, but with the budget crisis they're having, some people are PO'd about it...

rmusacch
11-22-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
a belated welcome to WSI. Just an FYI for you, in case you didn't know: the "White Stockings" is the former name of the Chicago Cubs. :bart

Actually, it was also the name of the White Sox immediately after they moved from St. Paul, MN where they were the Saints.

WhiteSox = Life
11-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
They draw pretty well for the crap they put on the field.

Sound familiar, White Sox (or White Stockings) fans!?!