PDA

View Full Version : Famous Sox Fans.....


Hangar18
11-19-2002, 10:17 AM
I think Mike North is a Sox Fan.
Hes got that going for him.
So is Dennis DeYoung of Styx.
god bless him.
and Bernie Mac.....

Viva Magglio
11-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I think Mike North is a Sox Fan.
Hes got that going for him.
So is Dennis DeYoung of Styx.
god bless him.
and Bernie Mac.....

Mike North is a Sox fan but not a devout one like us IMO. He grew up a Sox fan because his late father, Don, was from the South Side if I am not mistaken. When the Sox are hot (a la 2000), he's on the bandwagon. But when things aren't as good, he disses us and the ballpark. Moreover, North makes some suspect that he is a closet Cub fan because he rides their bandwagon when they win. He even once had Cubs season tickets, even though they really were a gift for wife Bebe who is a Cub fan.

duke of dorwood
11-19-2002, 11:52 AM
I thought you said "famous" Sox fans. The guy on the radio is infamous. Mayor Richard J Daley and Jack Brickhouse were famous Sox fans. Right now, its just "not cooL" to diss the North Side team.

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Actress Laurie Metcalfe (played Roseannes sister from Roseanne)
Bernie Mac (did I mention him?)
Couple of guys from the Oak Ridge Boys

Foulke You
11-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Chicagoan George Wendt of Cheers Fame (Norm) is a big White Sox fan. I read a Sun-Times story where he remembered his father taking him out of Catholic school to go to Game 1 of the 1959 World Series where the Sox won 10-0.

Also, the director of "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Buehler's Day Off" (can't remember the name) is a native Chicagoan and fan of the White Sox. He originally wanted to have the Ferris Wrigley scene in the movie to be at Old Comiskey but the Sox were on a road trip and didn't play many day games so due to time constraints, they shot at Wrigley. If you watch the director commmentary track on the DVD, he talks about it.

OneDog
11-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Also, the director of "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Buehler's Day Off" (can't remember the name) is a native Chicagoan and fan of the White Sox. He originally wanted to have the Ferris Wrigley scene in the movie to be at Old Comiskey but the Sox were on a road trip and didn't play many day games so due to time constraints, they shot at Wrigley. If you watch the director commmentary track on the DVD, he talks about it.

John Hughes. And shooting at Wrigley just makes him a Hollywood sellout. A betrayer of his South Side roots

doublem23
11-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
John Hughes. And shooting at Wrigley just makes him a Hollywood sellout. A betrayer of his South Side roots

Uh, OK.

Foulke You
11-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
John Hughes. And shooting at Wrigley just makes him a Hollywood sellout. A betrayer of his South Side roots

Oh come on! He had to finish the movie somehow and he more then made up for it in his later film "Only the Lonely" starring John Candy. The Old Comiskey scene in that film still gives me goose bumps when they light up the scoreboard. There is even an exterior shot of the old and the new one being built. Even John Candy's character laments "it's a shame they're going to tear this whole place down." How is that selling out?

voodoochile
11-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Wendt is a Sox fan? Could have fooled me...

If Mike North is a Sox fan, how come he is calling for a boycott of Comiskey?

I'm confused...

BTW, in case we missed it the first time you posted, welcome aboard...

Cheryl
11-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Oh come on! He had to finish the movie somehow

Also, Ferris was from the North Shore, and it would be more in character for Ferris to go to a Cubs game.

whitesoxwilkes
11-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Wendt is a Sox fan? Could have fooled me...



Wendt is a HUGE Sox fan. I got to know him pretty well the past few months while working on the Birkett campaign--he's Joe Birkett's brother in law. Joe is a huge Sox fan too.

Cheryl
11-19-2002, 01:53 PM
George Wendt's from Beverly. I've seen him at games now and then.

You all are missing Jerry Springer! He's there a lot.

Also my pal Benny the Bull grew up in Scottsdale and worked at the old ballpark. His son is a current member of the Munster (IN) Little League White Sox.

Lip Man 1
11-19-2002, 01:56 PM
For what it's worth these were the "famous" folks who were in Comiskey Park for the last game on September 30, 1990:

Gov. Jim Thompson
Mayor Richard M. Daley
Styx (sang 7th inning stretch)
Oak Ridge Boys (sang National Anthem)
George Wendt (was on radio with Rooney and Wayne Hagin)
Maureen O' Hara
John Candy
Goldie Hahn
Kurt Russell
Wayne Gretzky

Lip

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Julie Swieca of WSCR is a Sox Fan.
Ive met JerrySpringer a few times at Comiskey,
but he says hes really a Reds/Yankees fan (because
of Paul Oneill) he says He likes AL Baseball better,
so thats why hes there alot. dont know if hes crossed
over though.
Bernie Mac..hes excellent. He sang at club Wrigley,
and goof ChipCarey asked him who he liked better,
and he said "South Side.....white sox....South Side..
White Sox"

Lip Man 1
11-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Also in the early 90's when it actually looked like the Sox might finally win something, you'd see a bunch of famous folks usually with seats right behind home plate or in the area of the Sox dugout...

To wit (I have all these on video)

Tom Hanks
Jon Lovitz
Penny Marshall
Walter Payton
Bill Murray
Will Perdue
Scottie Pippin
Horace Grant
Michael Jordan

Lip

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 02:04 PM
and so is that other no-talent "actor"
Jim Belushi. what in the world was Bill Murray
doing at comiskey?
The Gumbel Bros., from TV, Used to be Sox Fans..
grewup in HydePk, dont know if they just go
with whats cooler when it comes to Chicago themes though.
so dont count them.

duke of dorwood
11-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Once heard John Cusack was a Sox fan

Lip Man 1
11-19-2002, 02:25 PM
John Cusak was born in Chicago and grew up a Sox fan. I heard him say that in an interview. Now though because he spends a lot of time in New York, he professes love for the Yankees.

As far as the Gumble brothers, according to a Sports Illustrated story, Greg grew up a Sox fan and still roots for them. Bryant was a Cubs fan all his life.

Bill Murray was right behind home plate shaking his head in amazment when Robin Ventura blasted a two out 9th inning Grand Slam to beat the Rangers 10-8 on July 31, 1991. (In my opinion one of the most dramatic and exciting moments in Sox history.) I've got it on tape.

Lip

bc2k
11-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Julie Swieca of WSCR is a Sox Fan.
Ive met JerrySpringer a few times at Comiskey,
but he says hes really a Reds/Yankees fan (because
of Paul Oneill) he says He likes AL Baseball better,
so thats why hes there alot. dont know if hes crossed
over though.
Bernie Mac..hes excellent. He sang at club Wrigley,
and goof ChipCarey asked him who he liked better,
and he said "South Side.....white sox....South Side..
White Sox"

Club Wrigley! Nice. I saw that game and thought I heard Bernie say he was a Sox fan but wasn't he wearing a Twins hat?

Paulwny
11-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Once heard John Cusack was a Sox fan

I also have heard that about Cusack

George Wendt was featured in the video " Eighty Years of Celebration- Old Comiskey Park".

CNN was doing the weather during the WS, the commentator mentioned that the temp would be in the low 40's in Chicago, "Can you imagine a WS game in Chicago at these temps?. The reply from Paula Zahn, " As a long time sox fan, I guarantee the park would be full".

No-Neck
11-19-2002, 02:28 PM
John Candy owned a part of the Toronto Blue Jays before his untimely demise, and was a native Canadian who loved baseball and wanted it to flourish in Canada. He pit his money where his mouth is. In the 93 playoffs, he was a (big?) fixture in the Toronto Sky Dome.

Mike North is not worthy to be called a White Sox fan. No one who grew up a Sox fan in this city would ever diss them in order to gain favor with Cub fans, even for business reasons. This is what I would consider nothing short of Treason.

Paulwny
11-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by No-Neck
John Candy owned a part of the Toronto Blue Jays before his untimely demise, and was a native Canadian who loved baseball and wanted it to flourish in Canada. He pit his money where his mouth is. In the 93 playoffs, he was a (big?) fixture in the Toronto Sky Dome.


I believe Candy along with Gretsky etal were owners of the Toronto Argonouts of the CFL. They lost quite a bit of money on the team.

Dadawg_77
11-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Julie Swieca of WSCR is a Sox Fan.
Ive met JerrySpringer a few times at Comiskey,
but he says hes really a Reds/Yankees fan (because
of Paul Oneill) he says He likes AL Baseball better,
so thats why hes there alot. dont know if hes crossed
over though.

Jerry did live in Cin. even becoming mayor over there. It is funny that he would be a AL fan while being a fan of a NL team.

Nellie_Fox
11-19-2002, 04:07 PM
Does Steve Dahl still have season tickets? Or did he jump off the bandwagon?

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 04:52 PM
was a Big Sox Fan, along with 'hizzoner', da mayor
Richard J Daley. At least Richie Jr is a blatant Sox Fan too.

RedPinStripes
11-19-2002, 05:19 PM
Mike North is not a Sox fan. He's a Stupid jagoff who jumped on the bandwagon and used to work at Wrigly.


Richard Roeper is a Sox fan though. I've met him at Comiskey a few times.

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 05:27 PM
He is also a Big Sox Fan. met him at a bar, we were
watching the sox blow it to the Twins last season.
Nice guy, really cool. Good Call on Richard Roeper...
forgot about that one....

MisterB
11-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
As far as the Gumble brothers, according to a Sports Illustrated story, Greg grew up a Sox fan and still roots for them. Bryant was a Cubs fan all his life.

In the early 80's they did a local TV special together called "Different as Night and Day" contrasting the Sox / Cubs and their fans. Greg represented the Sox side of it. My brother had it on tape for quite some time, but we haven't been able to find it for a few years. :(:

Daver
11-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
George Wendt's from Beverly. I've seen him at games now and then.



George Wendt's mother still lives in the home George grew up in,and she too is a Sox fan.

ihatethecubs
11-19-2002, 05:55 PM
all i have to say is Muddy Waters. who cares what stupid actors or musicians say they are cub fans, nothing is cooler than the fact that muddy was a sox fan.

RKMeibalane
11-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Bill Murray was right behind home plate shaking his head in amazment when Robin Ventura blasted a two out 9th inning Grand Slam to beat the Rangers 10-8 on July 31, 1991. (In my opinion one of the most dramatic and exciting moments in Sox history.) I've got it on tape.

Lip

Was that when Frank held Robin up in the air? I remember seeing of clip of this celebration, but I was never sure if it was from same game.

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 06:05 PM
Post.........Didnt know that.
The Late Tim Weigel was a Sox Fan (rip)

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 06:07 PM
is a SOX FAN.....
Yes, when Frank held up Robin, was during that
game ending Grand Slam....same Game.
was very very exciting I agree.

WhiteSox = Life
11-19-2002, 06:09 PM
I believe, of all people, R. Kelly is a White Sox fan, as I saw a clip of one of his music videos during his "problems" several months ago, and he was wearing a White Sox cap. Being a "mainstream" artist and showing his support for an "underdog" team (by that I mean any team not know for immense popularity or winning a lot at the time), probably shows that he is a true White Sox fan.

WhiteSox = Life
11-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Uh... it's me again.

I did a search for "famous White Sox fans" at Google and got nothing of course. So I trimmed my search to I forget (it was 10 minutes ago!) and I got this site where "Cubs/Sox rivalry examined (Daily Illini Online Opinions)" and checked it out.

It was interesting, dated, yes, and if you want to see for yourself click on the link (http://www.dailyillini.com/feb01/feb22/sports/col01.shtml).

I do want to post something here from the article's last paragraph.

In terms of famous supporters: We have in the Cubs corner Hillary Clinton, Jim Belushi. Included in the Sox fan base are Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and many others who like Sox merchandise.

The source is perhaps not the most reliable and the facts may be untrue, but that's what I found.

By the way, is anybody here Paul Banks? Just wondering. :D:

Lip Man 1
11-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Yes, that was the game Thomas physically picked up Ventura (after he touched home plate) and carried him around the home plate area while celebrating like they were high schoolers who just won the state championship.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I'm speaking with a member of that 1991 team for the December Q & A, I'll be sure to ask him about that game and that moment. By the way over 35,000 fans were in the park that night.

Bill Murray was seated behind home plate and the shot of him shows him looking up at the replay on the scoreboard shaking his head. He seemed happy the Sox won.

jortafan
11-19-2002, 07:49 PM
I believe the Jacksons, both the rev. and Rep. Jr., are also Sox fans. I know that when Jesse Jr. played in the annual Congressional baseball game (Dems vs. GOPers -- a D.C. tradition), he insisted on wearing a White Sox uniform. And for anyone who thinks that's dweeby, consider that congressional tradition requires the politicians who play to wear the uniforms of their hometown teams. Of course, when Rep. (now Gov-elect) Rod Blagojevich played, he insisted on wearing Cubbie blue.

maurice
11-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and many others

If wearing a Sox cap makes someone a Sox fan, then Ice Cube, etc. were big fans after the Sox changed to their current colors. Lots of west-coast celebs in particular wore Sox hats, which match the color scheme of the Raiders jerseys.

hempsox
11-20-2002, 12:25 PM
Could this possibly be the most memorable game in our generation? I can vividly remember that game too. It was the first time that Ventura actually looked great and made me forget about the long slump that he had been in the season before.

SI1020
11-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Nelson Algren, the late great Chicago novelist was a Sox fan. If you ever get a chance read his short story Go Go Go Forty Years Ago which he wrote in 1959.

chisoxt
11-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Jean Shepherd, the late, great humorist who wrote and narrated The Christmas Story was a die-hard Sox fan who made reference to the team in the aforementioned movie.

Iwritecode
11-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Jean Shepherd, the late, great humorist who wrote and narrated The Christmas Story was a die-hard Sox fan who made reference to the team in the aforementioned movie.

I must have watched that movie about 100 times by now. How come I don't ever remember the Sox being mentioned in it?

hold2dibber
11-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Jean Shepherd, the late, great humorist who wrote and narrated The Christmas Story was a die-hard Sox fan who made reference to the team in the aforementioned movie.

He died? When? That guy was great. I remember he did a fantastic show that was on PBS at some point in the early '80s that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

pearso66
11-20-2002, 03:13 PM
if you go by what rappers wear there is a huge list of sox fans, includnig jayz, but i think they just wear them because they like the look, but i could be mistaken

oh and whenever i listen to dahl, which woudl be whenever i go home, he always diss' the cubs, and talks highly of the sox, so sounds like he's still a huge sox fan, but i dont nkow about the season tickets, someone should call into the show hwen he's talkin about our beloved sox and mention this website to him, im sure he'd love it

DVG
11-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I must have watched that movie about 100 times by now. How come I don't ever remember the Sox being mentioned in it?

In the very beginning of the movie, listen closely. Darren Mc
Gavin's first line is "they traded the Bullfrog!" a reference to
pitcher "Bullfrog" Bill Dietrich. He also mentions "the Sox" in
the same scene.

Nelson Algren was indeed a Sox fan. He mentions them and
Luke Appling in "The Man With the Golden Arm." He also
devoted a chapter to the Black Sox scandal and Swede
Risberg in "Chicago: City on the Make."

James T. Farrell, author of the Studs Lonigan trilogy, was
a huge Sox fan, and one that hasn't been mentioned on this
board yet.

Also, you forgot the Tribune's very own John Kass, who writes
often about the Sox. I kept waiting for him to write an article
after the assinine accusations about the dead ivy. I hoped
he would ridicule the Cub assertions that a Sox fan did it, but
curiously, he never did.

SI1020
11-20-2002, 05:07 PM
DVG - great post, one of the best I've read here. I believe Rich King of WGN professed his allegiance to the Sox. Believe it or not Mike Royko was briefly a Sox fan, or at least he said so in a column. This happened toward the end of the last Bill Veeck era. He pledged allegiance to the Sox ( I believe on Veeck's wooden leg!). At the time he said he was tired of crybaby attitudes of some of the cubs. The change of heart did not last long, he quickly reverted back to his beloved cubs. I'm not making this up and I believe a check of Royko's columns circa 1979 or 1980 will bear me out.

voodoochile
11-20-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by SI1020
DVG - great post, one of the best I've read here. I believe Rich King of WGN professed his allegiance to the Sox. Believe it or not Mike Royko was briefly a Sox fan, or at least he said so in a column. This happened toward the end of the last Bill Veeck era. He pledged allegiance to the Sox ( I believe on Veeck's wooden leg!). At the time he said he was tired of crybaby attitudes of some of the cubs. The change of heart did not last long, he quickly reverted back to his beloved cubs. I'm not making this up and I believe a check of Royko's columns circa 1979 or 1980 will bear me out.

It was after the 1979 season around ST 1980, IIRC. I know for a fact because it was the final straw that convinced me to switch to the Sox. I made it, Royko didn't.

Chisox353014
11-20-2002, 05:45 PM
The internet is a wonderful thing. I did a Google search on Jean Shepherd and found this little nugget (http://www.banned-width.com/shel/works/books/nhmp.html) about poet/children's author Shel Silverstein. It's in the second paragraph. Also check here. (http://www.banned-width.com/shel/works/playboy/whitesox/whitesox.html)

chisoxflafan
11-21-2002, 03:03 AM
If you follow country music, John Michael Montgomery and his brother who is in the duo Montgomery Gentry are White Sox Fans. I have seen a video of John's where he is wearing a Sox Cap and a special on Montgomery Gentry and his brother is wearing a Sox shirt.

Lip Man 1
11-21-2002, 03:24 AM
I'm just wondering how many of the singers and record stars who appear wearing Sox merchandise are REALLY Sox fans?

With the rappers could it be simply because black and silver are "cool" colors?

In 1991 according to figures from MLB, the Sox sold more merchandise then ANY other team. Certainly not everybody who bought stuff was a Sox fan and I think that applies here as well.

To me, if you were born and raised in Chicago or Illinois or even in Iowa, Southern Michigan or Northern Indiana you probably are a Sox fan, but to say somebody who lives in California and has all their life is a Sox fan is stretching things don't you think?

Here's an example, some of you may remember John Chancellor who took over the NBC Nightly News when Huntley / Brinkley split up in the late 60's. He was born and raised a Sox fan. He's from Chicago and even though he spent a great deal of his life on the road or in New York never forgot his roots. This was confirmed in an interview that I saw with him just after the ten part Ken Burns PBS special "Baseball" came out. Chancellor does the voice over / narration in that series. In his interview he explained how he and his mom would always go out to Comiskey when he was a kid.

That's a Sox fan, not a rapper like P Diddy who appears in a video wearing a Sox jersey.

I mean the Grateful Dead in their video "Touch Of Grey" has a couple guys wearing Boston Celtics warm up jackets. That's because Bill Walton was a Deadhead and he was playing for the Celtics at the time and when the Dead played Boston he showed up and gave them the jackets. The Dead was all from San Francisco, they weren't Celtic fans!

Styx led by Dennis DeYoung was a Chicago group and in the early 80's especially when Tony LaRussa was manager, they'd show up in the Sox locker room all the time. They gave LaRussa "Styx" jackets and he gave them "Sox" ones. That's why they were invited to sing the last 7th inning stretch at the last game ever at Old Comiskey Park. They really were Sox fans.

Lip

No-Neck
11-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Local personalities who are Sox fans:

Felicia Middlebrooks - AM News Radio

Jay Marvin - AM Talk Radio (Big time Sox fan, always blasts the Cubs after praising the Sox, my kinda guy)

Linda Yu (Local TV News);

Ramsey Lewis, famous Jazz artist who recalls in his recent book that life on the South Sise included listening to the White Sox broadcasts on radio everyday during the summers. Great musician.

The actor from Wild Wild West, who also dared people toknock the battery off his shoulder on commercials. I can't think of his name, but grew up near the stock yards and Comiskey was the Only place to see MLB when he was growing up in the Back of the Yards (Southwest of the Park).

Lip Man 1
11-21-2002, 12:10 PM
The "battery" actor you are thinking of is Robert Conrad, star of "Wild Wild West" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep."

Also just FYI, the Sports Information Director here at Idaho State University, Frank Mercogliano, is a major, major fan of the music group Chicago. He has all their albums, CD's (uncluding some unreleased ones) and knows some of the group personally. (I've seen and read the correspondance and seen the pictures of Frank with the group!) I asked him one time if he knew who Chicago rooted for baseball-wise.

He said (unfortunately) that the original guys who are from Chicago are Cub fans. (sigh...)

Lip

Iwritecode
11-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm just wondering how many of the singers and record stars who appear wearing Sox merchandise are REALLY Sox fans?

With the rappers could it be simply because black and silver are "cool" colors?

In 1991 according to figures from MLB, the Sox sold more merchandise then ANY other team. Certainly not everybody who bought stuff was a Sox fan and I think that applies here as well.

To me, if you were born and raised in Chicago or Illinois or even in Iowa, Southern Michigan or Northern Indiana you probably are a Sox fan, but to say somebody who lives in California and has all their life is a Sox fan is stretching things don't you think?

Here's an example, some of you may remember John Chancellor who took over the NBC Nightly News when Huntley / Brinkley split up in the late 60's. He was born and raised a Sox fan. He's from Chicago and even though he spent a great deal of his life on the road or in New York never forgot his roots. This was confirmed in an interview that I saw with him just after the ten part Ken Burns PBS special "Baseball" came out. Chancellor does the voice over / narration in that series. In his interview he explained how he and his mom would always go out to Comiskey when he was a kid.

That's a Sox fan, not a rapper like P Diddy who appears in a video wearing a Sox jersey.

I mean the Grateful Dead in their video "Touch Of Grey" has a couple guys wearing Boston Celtics warm up jackets. That's because Bill Walton was a Deadhead and he was playing for the Celtics at the time and when the Dead played Boston he showed up and gave them the jackets. The Dead was all from San Francisco, they weren't Celtic fans!

Styx led by Dennis DeYoung was a Chicago group and in the early 80's especially when Tony LaRussa was manager, they'd show up in the Sox locker room all the time. They gave LaRussa "Styx" jackets and he gave them "Sox" ones. That's why they were invited to sing the last 7th inning stretch at the last game ever at Old Comiskey Park. They really were Sox fans.

Lip

This brings up an interesting question... What defines a "fan"? I read a thread on another MB where a poster was complianing about a friend that claimed to be a fan of the GB Packers. When asked to name a few players on the team the so-called "fan" couldn't even get past Brett Favre. That, IMHO, is pretty sad. Just because you live in a certain city or state of a popular team doesn't automatically make you a fan of that team. I watch the Bears games every once in a while but never really have considered myself a fan. I was just wondering what are the unwritten requirements for being a fan? Here's my thoughts:

1. Be able to name at least 5 - 10 current players.
2. Be able to name at least 5 - 10 past players.
3. Know the last time the team won a championship.
4. Know the team's main rival and why.
5. Know what division/conference/league/whatever... the team plays in.

Even a casual fan should know those things. Although I believe I just eliminated half of the "fans" at Wrigley. :D:

Any others?

MikeKreevich
11-21-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Jean Shepherd, the late, great humorist who wrote and narrated The Christmas Story was a die-hard Sox fan who made reference to the team in the aforementioned movie.
Sox fans who enjoyed Jean Sheperd's narration in " The Christmas Story" should look for " Chicago White Sox A Visual History". Jean does a great job of retelling the White Sox story.

Dadawg_77
11-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
This brings up an interesting question... What defines a "fan"? I read a thread on another MB where a poster was complianing about a friend that claimed to be a fan of the GB Packers. When asked to name a few players on the team the so-called "fan" couldn't even get past Brett Favre. That, IMHO, is pretty sad. Just because you live in a certain city or state of a popular team doesn't automatically make you a fan of that team. I watch the Bears games every once in a while but never really have considered myself a fan. I was just wondering what are the unwritten requirements for being a fan? Here's my thoughts:

1. Be able to name at least 5 - 10 current players.
2. Be able to name at least 5 - 10 past players.
3. Know the last time the team won a championship.
4. Know the team's main rival and why.
5. Know what division/conference/league/whatever... the team plays in.

Even a casual fan should know those things. Although I believe I just eliminated half of the "fans" at Wrigley. :D:

Any others?

If you look at the word fan, you realize it is short for Fanatic. But I am not sure if that is the modern meaning behind the word. IMHOP, in order to be a fan you must support your team for the right reasons through thick or thin. We in Chicago have had much experience with the thin.
Thus now the debate is what is meant by support. Does it mean going to x amount of games? Reading box scores in the morning? Watching them religiously on TV? Buying the team apparel? Rioting in the streets when they win, plus picking up a TV to watch the team next year? IMHOP, support when it comes to being a fan or not, is rooting for your team to win. You don't have to go to games, nor watch them religiously, but you must want them to win to be a fan of a team.
For an example Homer Simpson wasn't a fan of the Isotopes when they won the championship, since he didn't even watch a pitch until the end. He was a fanatic when he went a hunger strike to save the team for the city.

hold2dibber
11-21-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If you look at the word fan, you realize it is short for Fanatic. But I am not sure if that is the modern meaning behind the word. IMHOP, in order to be a fan you must support your team for the right reasons through thick or thin. We in Chicago have had much experience with the thin.
Thus now the debate is what is meant by support. Does it mean going to x amount of games? Reading box scores in the morning? Watching them religiously on TV? Buying the team apparel? Rioting in the streets when they win, plus picking up a TV to watch the team next year? IMHOP, support when it comes to being a fan or not, is rooting for your team to win. You don't have to go to games, nor watch them religiously, but you must want them to win to be a fan of a team .
For an example Homer Simpson wasn't a fan of the Isotopes when they won the championship, since he didn't even watch a pitch until the end. He was a fanatic when he went a hunger strike to save the team for the city.

Anybody can root for a team to win. But to be a "true fan" or a "die hard" fan, you have to hurt when they lose. I like when the Bears win, but I'm not bothered if they lose. When the Sox or the Bulls or the Blue Demons lose, I feel like I just got punched in the gut.

Hangar18
11-21-2002, 04:45 PM
one there. Wow, there are couple I didnt know
about, esp John Chancellor from NBC (60's)
Linda Yu and Felicia Middlebrooks....
very good....
I had Heard about Robert Conrad....Awesome
to dig that one up.....

Hangar18
11-21-2002, 04:51 PM
& Montgomery Gentry...
Awesome.....Didnt know that....good Post

Soxheads
11-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm just wondering how many of the singers and record stars who appear wearing Sox merchandise are REALLY Sox fans?

With the rappers could it be simply because black and silver are "cool" colors?

In 1991 according to figures from MLB, the Sox sold more merchandise then ANY other team. Certainly not everybody who bought stuff was a Sox fan and I think that applies here as well.

To me, if you were born and raised in Chicago or Illinois or even in Iowa, Southern Michigan or Northern Indiana you probably are a Sox fan, but to say somebody who lives in California and has all their life is a Sox fan is stretching things don't you think?

Here's an example, some of you may remember John Chancellor who took over the NBC Nightly News when Huntley / Brinkley split up in the late 60's. He was born and raised a Sox fan. He's from Chicago and even though he spent a great deal of his life on the road or in New York never forgot his roots. This was confirmed in an interview that I saw with him just after the ten part Ken Burns PBS special "Baseball" came out. Chancellor does the voice over / narration in that series. In his interview he explained how he and his mom would always go out to Comiskey when he was a kid.

That's a Sox fan, not a rapper like P Diddy who appears in a video wearing a Sox jersey.

I mean the Grateful Dead in their video "Touch Of Grey" has a couple guys wearing Boston Celtics warm up jackets. That's because Bill Walton was a Deadhead and he was playing for the Celtics at the time and when the Dead played Boston he showed up and gave them the jackets. The Dead was all from San Francisco, they weren't Celtic fans!

Styx led by Dennis DeYoung was a Chicago group and in the early 80's especially when Tony LaRussa was manager, they'd show up in the Sox locker room all the time. They gave LaRussa "Styx" jackets and he gave them "Sox" ones. That's why they were invited to sing the last 7th inning stretch at the last game ever at Old Comiskey Park. They really were Sox fans.

Lip

I've yet to meet another Sox fan personally in Iowa.

DVG
11-21-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by SI1020
DVG - great post, one of the best I've read here. I believe Rich King of WGN professed his allegiance to the Sox. Believe it or not Mike Royko was briefly a Sox fan, or at least he said so in a column. This happened toward the end of the last Bill Veeck era. He pledged allegiance to the Sox ( I believe on Veeck's wooden leg!). At the time he said he was tired of crybaby attitudes of some of the cubs. The change of heart did not last long, he quickly reverted back to his beloved cubs. I'm not making this up and I believe a check of Royko's columns circa 1979 or 1980 will bear me out.

You are correct, sir. In fact, the article in which Royko briefly
switched over was reprinted in the book "For the Love of
Mike" complete with the picture of Royko taking the oath on
Veeck's leg. The article itself is hilarious. My favorite line is
(I have to paraphrase it) "Veeck is a much more cheerful
fellow on one leg than the Cubs players are on two legs.
He can run faster than some of them, too."

CLR01
11-22-2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by No-Neck
Local personalities who are Sox fans:

Felicia Middlebrooks - AM News Radio

Jay Marvin - AM Talk Radio (Big time Sox fan, always blasts the Cubs after praising the Sox, my kinda guy)

Linda Yu (Local TV News);




JoBo from B96's morning show is a big time Sox fan, not sure about Eddie but i believe he goes for the cubs.


Never would have guessed Jay Marvin to be a Sox fan.

Hangar18
11-22-2002, 08:33 AM
thats right, How Could I forget that one.
JoBo is a big Sox Fan.
Yes, Eddie is a foolish cub fan.

irish rover
11-22-2002, 12:32 PM
My list

Warner Saunders

Durkin (GOP candidate for Senate) worked at McCuddy's

Dahl, not sure if he still has season tickets. I know he had them in 01 and I saw him a few times last year

the owner of Yakzees by the cesspool

the owner of goose island

Dan Jiggits( though I think he is a Yankee fan and just favors the sox over the cubs)

Paul Vallas

Dennis Farina, heard him talking with North about sitting on his front stoop listening to the 1959 sox and how great it was

Corey Mcpherin

I've heard Jerome Holtzman is a sox fan too, not sure though

Heard Hizzoner on with North and he asked him if he was going to the Cubs convention. He said "come on Mike you know I'm a sox fan"

Unregistered
11-22-2002, 02:24 PM
Wow, this is the weakest list of c and d-list "celebrities" i have ever seen...

Hangar18
11-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Too bad I think...Im impressed so far...

ChiSoxBobette
11-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I think Mike North is a Sox Fan.
Hes got that going for him.
So is Dennis DeYoung of Styx.
god bless him.
and Bernie Mac.....
Flappy North a Sox fan , come on this is the same stooge that told everyone that listens to his show(and I'm sure it's a majority of flub fans)to boycot the Sox this year ,flappy is hotdog vendor who got lucky. Maybe thats his real life long dream to sell dogs at the urinal. The Guys Is A flub TOOL!

Hangar18
11-22-2002, 05:45 PM
of Millers Pub a White Sox Fan?
I believe he was............................

SI1020
11-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Long time Chicago sports journalist Bill Gleason is/was a big Sox fan, although he could on occasion write withering criticisms of the team. Is he still with us? He would be quite elderly if still alive.

WhiteSox = Life
11-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Man, such a monster I created with the rappers that wear the White Sox caps. I merely brought it up, I wasn't advocating that any rapper that wears or has worn a White Sox cap is a fan. Only the R. Kelly case (no pun intended) did I mention that he might actually be a fan as he is a Chicagoan, insomuch that I know.

The Wild Wild West. I love that show. And I love the opening theme. TNT use to show it at 5 in the morning. I would tape them and my dad and I would watch them 3-6 episodes at a time. Robert Conrad as James T. West, Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon, and the ever-lovable Michael Dunn as Miguelito Lovelace. Not the greatest show of all time, but it touched on so many genres: western (obviously), comedy (quite often in banter between West and Gordon), Sci-Fi (there was one episode where a house the heroes were in was alive), and several others - you name it, they did it. Before Batman came along (a year after WWW started, actually), West made it cool to have that certain little tool on you that would get you out of any situation, regardless of immediate danger.

In fact, I got a tape with 5 episodes in my room. I think my dad and I might catch up on the Wild Wild West this weekend.

:)

Also, to any of you who haven't seen the movie with Will Smith portraying a white guy, don't. Watch the series instead if you ever get the chance. For those who have seen the movie, but not the show, Lovelace (not Loveless) was a midget, not a Confederate mechanical genius with no legs.

I'll end this post, incredibly off-topic after being on-topic, with this final question:

Anybody here ever watch the show?

vegyrex
11-23-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by irish rover

I've heard Jerome Holtzman is a sox fan too, not sure though


Holtzman is not a Sox fan. If he is he sure spends a lot of time writing about the flubs.

Back around '97 or '98 I remember Joan Cusack doing commercials for the Sox. She even did one with Wendt.

Gene Siskle & Roger Ebert did one of those "Good Guys Wear Black" commercials. But they are/were Chicago fans. I seem to remember Siskle saying he rooted for all of Chicago's teams, especially the Bulls.

I saw Harry Smith, host of A&E's Biography, wearing a Sox cap Reinsdork gave him during the '92 winter Olympics. That's when he co hosted, along with Paula Zahn, the CBS morning show.

And like many of you, I remember that grand slam homer from Ventura. That was a truly magical moment.

DrCrawdad
11-23-2002, 09:27 AM
http://www.muddywaters.com/art/kingbee.gif

Originally posted by ihatethecubs
all i have to say is Muddy Waters. who cares what stupid actors or musicians say they are cub fans, nothing is cooler than the fact that muddy was a sox fan.

We discussed Muddy being a Sox fan in this thread.

Link to thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15178)

I just came across this in the new book, “Can’t Be Satisfied, The Life and Times of Muddy Waters” by Robert Gordon:

The author speaking about visiting Muddy’s dilapidated Chicago home, “He (Charles Williams, one of Muddy’s stepsons) took me to the room where Muddy slept, where Muddy lay in bed and watched the White Sox on TV.” - page xvii

“Days, Muddy stayed at home. He relaxed, recovering from the previous night, preparing to expend it all again that evening. Geneva would make him ice packs, which he’d wear across his forehead, lying in his bed or watching a baseball game on TV. The White Sox were his team, though he admired Brooklyn’s Jackie Robinson, who had recently integrated Major League Baseball.” - page 107

maurice
11-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I wasn't advocating that any rapper that wears or has worn a White Sox cap is a fan. Only the R. Kelly case (no pun intended) did I mention that he might actually be a fan as he is a Chicagoan, insomuch that I know.

He may be a Sox fan (among other, more nefarious things), but he's definitely not a "rapper."

:)

Hangar18
11-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Actress Joan Cusack (those cell ph commercials too)
I did get confirmation shes a Sox Fan. good for her...

Streets
11-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
George Wendt's from Beverly. I've seen him at games now and then.

You all are missing Jerry Springer! He's there a lot.

Also my pal Benny the Bull grew up in Scottsdale and worked at the old ballpark. His son is a current member of the Munster (IN) Little League White Sox. Your pal is from my home town. His son is in a great little league program, he should do well.

As for Sox hats and jerseys appearing on celebs: I've seen a dude in BLink 182 wearing a Sox hat. There was a rapper wearing a grey 80s jersey in what I think was a Jaz Z video last year, recently Christina Aguilera was wearing an 80s Sox hat in a "go out and vote" MTV commercial and P. Diddy is wearing a red colored Sox(think it's 80s) jacket in his latest video. Even if they are not fans, they did choose our team.

Cheryl
11-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Streets
Your pal is from my home town. His son is in a great little league program, he should do well.

Scottsdale is a neighborhood on the Southwest Side.

Streets
11-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Scottsdale is a neighborhood on the Southwest Side.
You said his son is playing in the Munster In. little league, he must live in Munster if he is playing in that league.

VeeckAsInWreck
11-26-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Oh come on! He had to finish the movie somehow and he more then made up for it in his later film "Only the Lonely" starring John Candy. The Old Comiskey scene in that film still gives me goose bumps when they light up the scoreboard. There is even an exterior shot of the old and the new one being built. Even John Candy's character laments "it's a shame they're going to tear this whole place down." How is that selling out?


Good call! I bought a copy of that movie strictly because Old Comiskey was in it! I too watch that scene and just sigh and wonder what it would be like if the old place was still around! Instead, the stupid urinal (Wrigley Toilet) gets landmark status!

Anyway, Does anyone know if Old Comiskey appeared in any other movies? Just wondering!

Vsahajpal
11-26-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
This brings up an interesting question... What defines a "fan"? I read a thread on another MB where a poster was complianing about a friend that claimed to be a fan of the GB Packers. When asked to name a few players on the team the so-called "fan" couldn't even get past Brett Favre. That, IMHO, is pretty sad. Just because you live in a certain city or state of a popular team doesn't automatically make you a fan of that team. I watch the Bears games every once in a while but never really have considered myself a fan. I was just wondering what are the unwritten requirements for being a fan? Here's my thoughts:

1. Be able to name at least 5 - 10 current players.
2. Be able to name at least 5 - 10 past players.
3. Know the last time the team won a championship.
4. Know the team's main rival and why.
5. Know what division/conference/league/whatever... the team plays in.

Even a casual fan should know those things. Although I believe I just eliminated half of the "fans" at Wrigley. :D:

Any others?

What team is the Sox rival? I really don't believe there is much of a crosstown rivalry at all. Cleveland?

Cheryl
11-26-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Streets
You said his son is playing in the Munster In. little league, he must live in Munster if he is playing in that league.

I misunderstood. Yeah, he lives in Munster, but grew up on the Southwest Side.

Chrisaway
11-27-2002, 03:30 AM
I remember that game like it was yesterday. And I was 11 at the time.

bc2k
12-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Streets
recently Christina Aguilera was wearing an 80s Sox hat in a "go out and vote" MTV commercial

I was watching that "You think you know, but you have no idea" MTV show on Christina Aguilera last week and she was wearing the 1983 Sox hat cocked to the side like Sabathia.

CiscoCarlos
12-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck


Anyway, Does anyone know if Old Comiskey appeared in any other movies? Just wondering!

I believe they used extensive footage of the old park in a 1948 movie The Stratton Story , starring Jimmy Stewart as the White Sox pitcher who accidentally shot himself. It shows up on Turner Classic Movies once in awhile.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2002, 11:00 PM
The 1984 movie "Supergirl" shows Superman's sister "flying"
over Old Comiskey Park at night.

Looking down on the field you can see the emblems still painted on the outfield turf from the All Star Game, they are starting to get worn away, so obviously the footage was shot in the 2nd half of the 1983 season.

Lip

nixsox
12-03-2002, 01:19 AM
John Kass of the Cub I mean Tribune is a huge Sox fan and he's always making fun of the cute little scrub fans.

jortafan
12-03-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I believe they used extensive footage of the old park in a 1948 movie The Stratton Story , starring Jimmy Stewart as the White Sox pitcher who accidentally shot himself. It shows up on Turner Classic Movies once in awhile.


Actually, the old Comiskey also turns up in Pride of the Yankees. There are scenes where Gehrig/Cooper is making the rounds of the American League, and the arched walls of the old park are clearly visible during the so-called Chicago stops. I must admit, it seems strange to see the old park without a huge scoreboard looming over the center field bleachers.

Hangar18
12-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Julie Swieca of the WSCR (am670) is a Sox Fan.

Cheryl
12-03-2002, 04:47 PM
Has anyone mentioned Ring Lardner yet?

Also, way upthread someone brought up My Baseball Diary byt James T Farrell. I got it out of the library and just finished reading it. Fabulous book, especially the stuff about going to WS games as a boy of 15 in '19.

Hangar18
12-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Ring Lardner....Good one cheryl.

TornLabrum
12-03-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Ring Lardner....Good one cheryl.

Lardner, of course wrote the famous parody of "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" that was used in "Eight Men Out."

"I'm forever blowing ballgames,
Pretty ballgames in the air.
I come from Chi.
I hardly try.
I go to bat, and fade, and die.
Fortunes coming my way!
That's why I don't care.
I'm forever blowing ballgames,
And the gamblers treat us fair."

Lardner also wrote, "You know me, Joe," the story of a young hick who tries out with the Sox managed by Kid Gleason. His most famous Cubs character really fits the club: Alibi Ike.

Cheryl
12-04-2002, 09:11 AM
You Know Me, Al.

Hangar18
12-04-2002, 09:19 AM
well, I dont know Al nor Cheryl.
how about someone else Famous?

T Dog
12-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Harry Stein, in his novel "Hoopla," depicts Ring Lardner as a longtime Sox fan who was left an embittered man by the 1919 World Series.

John Astin, television's Gomez Addams, did a commercial for the White Sox in the early '90s, claiming to be a fan as well as an actor. He seemed enthusiastic.

People wearing Sox caps obviously are more abundant than Sox fans, but all are always nice to see. This summer I was in a Dublin, Ireland, sporting goods store that sold baseball caps from America. The display had more than a dozen varieties of Yankees caps. The only other team represented was the Sox. Any lift that gave me was erased in a a pub around the corner. I met a man from Liverpool who had never seen a baseball game but knew that Wrigley Field is in Chicago.

Daver
12-06-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Harry Stein, in his novel "Hoopla," depicts Ring Lardner as a longtime Sox fan who was left an embittered man by the 1919 World Series.

John Astin, television's Gomez Addams, did a commercial for the White Sox in the early '90s, claiming to be a fan as well as an actor. He seemed enthusiastic.

People wearing Sox caps obviously are more abundant than Sox fans, but all are always nice to see. This summer I was in a Dublin, Ireland, sporting goods store that sold baseball caps from America. The display had more than a dozen varieties of Yankees caps. The only other team represented was the Sox. Any lift that gave me was erased in a a pub around the corner. I met a man from Liverpool who had never seen a baseball game but knew that Wrigley Field is in Chicago.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Mule Haas
12-07-2002, 04:35 PM
From the soccer world:

Of course former Sting owner (and current Jerry partner) Lee Stern is a Sox fan - so is Fire General Manager Peter Wilt.

MetalliSox
12-13-2002, 02:25 PM
Somehow Jesse Jackson had front row seats for the playoff games in 2000.
They should of kicked him out.

Hangar18
12-13-2002, 02:33 PM
The Rev. Jesse Jackson is a White Sox Fan. confirmed.
bless him too

jortafan
12-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Somehow Jesse Jackson had front row seats for the playoff games in 2000.
They should of kicked him out.

I've actually heard that Jackson has gone to Sox games with tickets provided courtesy of Mayor Richard M. Daley. It must be nice to have the political pull to get the Daley season tickets.

armoursquare
12-14-2002, 10:12 AM
I once read a quote from actress Julia Stiles where she said that one thing she liked about Chicago was seeing the White Sox play.

Gotta get her phone number!

MarqSox
12-14-2002, 12:39 PM
The guy who played Kid Gleason in Eight Men Out (currently Frasier's dad) is a Sox fan, if I recall correctly.

R. Kelly grew up in Stateway Gardens, so he's got Sox roots.

And, as you'll see at the bottom of my post, future NBA superstar Dwyane Wade (grew up in Robbins, went to Richards) is a Sox fan. :D:

WhiteSox = Life
12-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
John Astin, television's Gomez Addams, did a commercial for the White Sox in the early '90s, claiming to be a fan as well as an actor. He seemed enthusiastic.

And who could forget John Astin for his wonderful performance in Batman for his appearance as the Riddler?

Originally posted by MarqSox
The guy who played Kid Gleason in Eight Men Out (currently Frasier's dad) is a Sox fan, if I recall correctly.


I believe you are referring to John Mahoney.

cwsox
12-15-2002, 03:31 AM
The vice president of the North Park College Student Association, 1972-73, big Sox fan.

The bishop of the American Apostolic Catholic Church (an Old Catholic body, not connected with Rome) is a Sox seasons ticket holder.

Wsoxmike59
12-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Anyway, Does anyone know if Old Comiskey appeared in any other movies? Just wondering!

A few weeks after the 1990 season, the last at Old Comiskey, there was a notice in one of the gossip columns, that if you wanted one last chance to step foot inside Comiskey, they were looking for "crowd extra's" for a scene they were filming for an upcoming movie.

I jumped at the chance and went down to the ballpark with my buddy Wayne. We spent the entire day being shuffled from one side of the ballpark to the other, to fill in the seating sections to make the ballpark look crowded.

It was great to be inside the old ballpark one last time after the final game had been played. The day was perfect. A sunsplashed beautiful fall afternoon. I took some pictures for posterity and got to hang out with some cool Sox fans who also wanted one last chance to be inside the "Baseball Palace of the World!"

I never saw the movie, as we were told the movie would be titled "Another Cup of Coffee" the story of a white veteran ballplayer sent down to the minors in the twi-light of his career, and passing his knowledge of the game onto a young up and coming black pitcher during the times of segregation in the old south of the 50's.

I think it was retitled and released under the name "Pastime" I was wondering if anybody here has seen that movie?? If so please let me know.


Anyway, that movie should have some footage of old Comiskey, and I might even be in some of the crowd shots. Pastime (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800167508&intl=us)

Wsoxmike59

T Dog
12-15-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
I never saw the movie, as we were told the movie would be titled "Another Cup of Coffee" the story of a white veteran ballplayer sent down to the minors in the twi-light of his career, and passing his knowledge of the game onto a young up and coming black pitcher during the times of segregation in the old south of the 50's.

I think it was retitled and released under the name "Pastime" I was wondering if anybody here has seen that movie?? If so please let me know.

I love this movie. It's a slice of life in a low minor league in California. The end of the career for an old pitcher, who made it briefly to the big leagues only to surrender a home run to Stan Musial, coincides with the early professional education for a talented young black pitcher who comes to the team knowing better than to look a white man in the eye.

Without giving away too much of the plot, the kid gets more seasoning from the events that surround the team than from actually pitching. The movie ends with him taking the mound on an emotional day. A shot of the sky pans down to the left-field grandstand of Old Comiskey to show he becomes one of the young studs on the Go-Go Sox. I always thought it was vintage footage. I don't know how historically accurate it is, but it brings a tear to the eye -- not just seeing the ballpark, but the thought that pitching for the Sox would be the greatest of achievements for a kid pitcher in the 1950s. Until now, it didn't occur to me that the kid had done so much better than his mentor, who had only pitched for the Cubs. The people who made this movie had to be Sox fans.

The link to this movie surprised me. I don't remember Ernie "Mr Cub" Banks. I don't remember Killebrew or Feller. When I met Bob Feller in 1994, he was a bitter old man, charging $15 for his autograph and a chorus about what was wrong with baseball. Maybe he was also bitter because he had been promised a movie with Killebrew and Banks and got stuck in Old Comiskey's left-field grandstand at the end of the movie.

guillen4life13
12-15-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
The guy who played Kid Gleason in Eight Men Out (currently Frasier's dad) is a Sox fan, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, that's John Mahoney. I see him around town pretty often, as he lives in Oak Park, where I live. He goes to a lot of the Oak Park River Forest baseball games. I've never had the opportunity to speak to him though.

He's just a part of the community who just happens to be well known. He seems like a cool guy.