PDA

View Full Version : Gammons writes about Thomas; Colon to Yanks?

Jerry_Manuel
11-17-2002, 08:34 PM
The Yankees will be willing to move Nick Johnson to Montreal if Bartolo Colon or Javier Vazquez becomes available because of salary constrictions.

Gammons (http://msn.espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/1117/1462238.html)

Thomas has holed himself up in Las Vegas, where he is working out four or five hours a day. "I'm working the way I did when I was playing football (at Auburn), the same kind of conditioning," says The Big Hurt. "I want to be in the best condition I've ever been in baseball. It's been long enough, I want to go back to playing defense (something he's done 37 times since the 1998 season). I believe I can play six more years, and I want them to be consistent, productive seasons that restore my name. It hasn't been easy, but I know what it takes, and I will do it."

OfficerKarkovice
11-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Also:

The White Sox are looking for a No. 2 starter and another veteran to throw into their rotation to join Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Danny Wright. They are very interested in Jamie Moyer as a free agent. They dawdled on Cory Lidle for Mark Johnson, and Lidle ended up in Toronto, where he will go into spring training as the No. 2 starter.

They dawdled...unbelievable...pull the damn trigger already!

TornLabrum
11-17-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Also:

Yeah, we know what happens when Prof. Chaos pulls the trigger. DAWDLE SOME MORE!

jeremyb1
11-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Also:

The White Sox are looking for a No. 2 starter and another veteran to throw into their rotation to join Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Danny Wright. They are very interested in Jamie Moyer as a free agent. They dawdled on Cory Lidle for Mark Johnson, and Lidle ended up in Toronto, where he will go into spring training as the No. 2 starter.

ken rosenthal had a different assessment of the situation:

The Blue Jays will make RHP Cory Lidle their No. 2 starter behind RHP Roy Halladay. Lidle, earning $4.8 million next season, also drew trade interest from the White Sox, but the Sox want a more proven No. 2 starter, and they could plug in a young pitcher like Jon Rauch or Rocky Biddle rather than a more expensive veteran like Lidle in the back of their rotation. . . .

if that was our reasoning, i'm pleased with it. unless two all-star calliber pitchers fall into our lap for next to nothing, i think we should leave a rotation spot open for rauch/biddle/anyone else who can compete for the spot in the spring (josh stewart?). there's no point in overpaying for a mediocre veteran who will do little other than block rauch's developement. if he looks anything like he did at the end of last season in the spring he needs to be in the rotation.

hold2dibber
11-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

The Blue Jays will make RHP Cory Lidle their No. 2 starter behind RHP Roy Halladay. Lidle, earning $4.8 million next season, also drew trade interest from the White Sox, but the Sox want a more proven No. 2 starter, and they could plug in a young pitcher like Jon Rauch or Rocky Biddle rather than a more expensive veteran like Lidle in the back of their rotation. . . .

if that was our reasoning, i'm pleased with it. unless two all-star calliber pitchers fall into our lap for next to nothing, i think we should leave a rotation spot open for rauch/biddle/anyone else who can compete for the spot in the spring (josh stewart?). there's no point in overpaying for a mediocre veteran who will do little other than block rauch's developement. if he looks anything like he did at the end of last season in the spring he needs to be in the rotation.

Bingo. Lidle (especially if the cost was only MJ) would have been a decent fall back plan, but he still is not the no. 2 starter the Sox desperately need.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2002, 11:25 AM
I wonder also if part of the reason Thomas decided to talk to Gammons is because he and his agent haven't been able to draw a lot of interest.

An interview gets Thomas' name out there in the baseball world. It also brings out the fact that Thomas "is working out five hours a day etc."

Just a thought.

Lip

voodoochile
11-18-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I wonder also if part of the reason Thomas decided to talk to Gammons is because he and his agent haven't been able to draw a lot of interest.

An interview gets Thomas' name out there in the baseball world. It also brings out the fact that Thomas "is working out five hours a day etc."

Just a thought.

Lip

Exactly. I'm sure Frank and Arn want to correct his negative image and to tell teams that he will be ready for baseball come February. Good for Frank.

Dadawg_77
11-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Of course Frank motive to talk to Boston was PR. But what the hell is Kenny smoking/snorting? The only reason I can think of that the trade of MJ for Lidle didn't happen is sadly money. MJ for a fourth starter would of been a steal, but to get a potential number two, come on. Damn cheap ass front office.

guillen4life13
11-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Yeah, we know what happens when Prof. Chaos pulls the trigger. DAWDLE SOME MORE!

I though Prof. Chaos was JM, and Gen. Disarray was Lenny. wait, do i have them mixed up?

TornLabrum
11-18-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I though Prof. Chaos was JM, and Gen. Disarray was Lenny. wait, do i have them mixed up?

Butters is Prof. Chaos in South Park. He runs the show and has all the great ideas such as flooding the world with a garden hose. His friend, who, if he has a name, it escapes me, is his human minion (as opposed to Butters' two hamster minions), Gen. Disarray.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Lenny = Prof. Chaos. Gandhi = Gen. Disarray.

idseer
11-18-2002, 07:26 PM
Butters is Prof. Chaos in South Park. He runs the show and has all the great ideas such as flooding the world with a garden hose. His friend, who, if he has a name, it escapes me, is his human minion (as opposed to Butters' two hamster minions), Gen. Disarray.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Lenny = Prof. Chaos. Gandhi = Gen. Disarray.

so kenny williams = lenny = prof. chaos, and jerry manual = ghandi = gen. disarray.

so when do we get out of the second grade?

Daver
11-18-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by idseer
so kenny williams = lenny = prof. chaos, and jerry manual = ghandi = gen. disarray.

I guess you have a problem with the nicknames,but does it really make you feel more intelligent to accuse someone of being seven years old?

By your way of thinking the same question could be asked of you,just for that reply.

Have you considered learning the origin of the refrences before taking a shot at them just for the sake of taking a shot?

Ol Aches & Pains
11-18-2002, 07:56 PM
Three thoughts after reading through this thread:

Won't Nick Johnson be excited to leave the Yankees and go to Montreal? Just think, he can play every day - in front of almost 1000 people!

The Sox could have had Cory Lidle and all it would have cost them is Mark Johnson? Instead they re-signed the bum? #&#!*@*%*%&%

After playing 37 games at first base since 1998, Frank Thomas wants to play defense again? God help us. I think I could throw from first to second base more accurately than Thomas, and I'm 53 years old!

Daver
11-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains

The Sox could have had Cory Lidle and all it would have cost them is Mark Johnson? Instead they re-signed the bum? #&#!*@*%*%&%

You're right,they should have brought up Mark Dellasandro or Lee Evans and let MJ walk............

idseer
11-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by daver
I guess you have a problem with the nicknames,but does it really make you feel more intelligent to accuse someone of being seven years old?

By your way of thinking the same question could be asked of you,just for that reply.

Have you considered learning the origin of the refrences before taking a shot at them just for the sake of taking a shot?

i just think it gets a little silly when you're using 2nd generation nicknames. i, like apparently some others, have to work at figuring out who's being discussed to the extent of missing the point of the posts.
it's not so much accusing anyone of 'being' seven years old as just overdoing the baby talk.

Tragg
11-18-2002, 10:36 PM

if that was our reasoning, i'm pleased with it. needs to be in the rotation.

Except that the price - what we had to give up - was right (salary a tad high). Much less than what we had to give up, on paper, for Ritchie.

TornLabrum
11-18-2002, 10:37 PM
i just think it gets a little silly when you're using 2nd generation nicknames. i, like apparently some others, have to work at figuring out who's being discussed to the extent of missing the point of the posts.
it's not so much accusing anyone of 'being' seven years old as just overdoing the baby talk.

As the originator of the nicknames "Lenny," "Prof. Chaos," and "Gen. Disarray" for our fearless leaders, perhaps a little history is in order, especially after the "second grade" reference.

First of all, "Lenny" was a reference to a John Steinbeck character. You should read the book sometime. It's called "Of Mice and Men." Steinbeck was a pretty fair writer.

After watching a pretty good episode of South Park, and after observing such goings on as the David Wells trade, the "Berry-Barry" fiasco, Gandhi's incessant tinkering, etc., I decided that our intrepid leaders were more along the line of Butters and his minion, trying to flood the world with a garden hose. Hence, in my column, I stated that henceforth, when I write about them, I will use the names that really and truly show how ineffectual these clowns are: Prof. Chaos and Gen. Disarray.

All three names originated with me, and I think each in its own way expresses my general displeasure with the way this outfit is rin.

idseer
11-18-2002, 11:03 PM
As the originator of the nicknames "Lenny," "Prof. Chaos," and "Gen. Disarray" for our fearless leaders, perhaps a little history is in order, especially after the "second grade" reference.

First of all, "Lenny" was a reference to a John Steinbeck character. You should read the book sometime. It's called "Of Mice and Men." Steinbeck was a pretty fair writer.

After watching a pretty good episode of South Park, and after observing such goings on as the David Wells trade, the "Berry-Barry" fiasco, Gandhi's incessant tinkering, etc., I decided that our intrepid leaders were more along the line of Butters and his minion, trying to flood the world with a garden hose. Hence, in my column, I stated that henceforth, when I write about them, I will use the names that really and truly show how ineffectual these clowns are: Prof. Chaos and Gen. Disarray.

All three names originated with me, and I think each in its own way expresses my general displeasure with the way this outfit is rin.

well ... i don't watch southpark, but i did read of mice and men .. perhaps 30 years ago. i guess my point is, 'lenny', is certainly NOT meaningful as a nickname to ANYone unless you explain the reference whenever it's used. lenny, by itself, is too common a name and not one in 500 people, probably way more, would follow your meaning unless it was explained to them. it's more an 'inside' joke to those who are steinbeck fans.
as for butters ... i have no clue what you're talking about. am i the only one? i doubt it. when you call someone butter in here i assume you're talking about parque. see? that nick makes some sense that everyone can relate to. everytime someone uses gen. disarray and prof. chaos i have to stop and try and figure out which is which. it doesn't stick with me because it doesn't relate to anything in my mind.
the second grade remark was inaccurate, i admit. it's really the obscurity of some nicks that bugs me. like all yours. :smile: so i apologize for that.
i'd just rather refer to jm as 'stupid', and kw as 'ignorant'.
and jr as 'cheap'...... AND 'ignorant'!

and where did 'ghandi' come from? (and don't say india) :)

Daver
11-18-2002, 11:06 PM

God forbid you have to do a small amount of reading to know the subject matter that is being discussed,it is all there in the archives,free for you to veiw,but I guess it is easier to take shots at someone than it is to learn this.

But then again we are covering the same ground we covered the last time you took on an admin here.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2002, 11:14 PM
I started the Gandhi reference to Manager Jerry Manuel because the two people he most admires in history were Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Both preached a policy of non violence and tolerance which is nice if you're a head of state but pretty stupid if you are a MLB manager. (and it shows in his demenor towards the umpires, even when they are screwing over the Sox royally!)

Lip

Soxheads
11-18-2002, 11:15 PM

as for butters ... i have no clue what you're talking about. am i the only one? i doubt it. when you call someone butter in here i assume you're talking about parque. \
Edification for the day:

Butters is a charachter on the hit Comedy-Sentral show South Park. At one point he gets so pissed off with the world that he decides to take it over, and changes his name to Professor Chaos, and takes on a younger kid to help him that he names General Disarray. All their schemes inevitably fail.

TornLabrum
11-18-2002, 11:28 PM
well ... i don't watch southpark, but i did read of mice and men .. perhaps 30 years ago. i guess my point is, 'lenny', is certainly NOT meaningful as a nickname to ANYone unless you explain the reference whenever it's used. lenny, by itself, is too common a name and not one in 500 people, probably way more, would follow your meaning unless it was explained to them. it's more an 'inside' joke to those who are steinbeck fans.

You need to get away from the message boards and read "Fallen Arches." I explain all my references there, at least when I first make them.

I would also point out that even for those who haven't read "Of Mice and Men" or seen any of the several movies made from it, Tex Avery directed a series of "George and Lenny" cartoons at MGM back in the '40s that regularly appear on the Cartoon Network.

as for butters ... i have no clue what you're talking about. am i the only one? i doubt it. when you call someone butter in here i assume you're talking about parque. see? that nick makes some sense that everyone can relate to. everytime someone uses gen. disarray and prof. chaos i have to stop and try and figure out which is which. it doesn't stick with me because it doesn't relate to anything in my mind.

The name is Butters, Parque is Butter.

As far as figuring out who is who, it's not all that difficult. How many bad horror, sci fi, or spy flicks have an evil professor masterminding some kind of nefarious plot? Most of the bad ones! I've also made numerous references on this board and elsewhere as to how ineffectual Butters' Prof. Chaos is, usually the plan to flood the world with his parents' garden hose.

Again, though, if you'd read my column, you'd get the idea.

the second grade remark was inaccurate, i admit. it's really the obscurity of some nicks that bugs me. like all yours. so i apologize for that.

The kids in South Park are now in fourth grade anyway. And again, if my nicknames for the Sox brass bug you, you need to go back to the archives and find their origins...or you should have been reading my columns in the first place! There's more to WSI than the message boards!

In addition, your descriptions may be accurate, but they lack a certain penache. (I hope I spelled that right...I dread hearing any comments if I make that kind of mistake at this point!)

and where did 'ghandi' come from? (and don't say india)

I'm willing to bet that's in the WSI dictionary. When he was first hired by The Chairman, Gen. Disarray let it be known that he was an ardent reader of the philosophy of Gandhi. It wasn't long before the folks over at the White Sox mailing list picked up on that. That term was also in wide use on the AOL White Sox boards, too.

TornLabrum
11-18-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Edification for the day:

Butters is a charachter on the hit Comedy-Sentral show South Park. At one point he gets so pissed off with the world that he decides to take it over, and changes his name to Professor Chaos, and takes on a younger kid to help him that he names General Disarray. All their schemes inevitably fail.

Simpsons already did it!

Soxheads
11-18-2002, 11:31 PM

I'm willing to bet that's in the WSI dictionary. When he was first hired by The Chairman, Gen. Disarray let it be known that he was an ardent reader of the philosophy of Gandhi. It wasn't long before the folks over at the White Sox mailing list picked up on that. That term was also in wide use on the AOL White Sox boards, too.

Nope. :)

Soxheads
11-18-2002, 11:34 PM
Simpsons already did it!

Since this image is big... (http://southparkstudios.com/down/download.html?file=/media/images/607/607_img_21.jpg)

voodoochile
11-19-2002, 01:28 AM

By that same token, KW could be "Pinky" and JR could be "The Brain"... NARF!!!

Wonder if anyone will get THAT reference...

:D:

doublem23
11-19-2002, 04:47 AM

You did NOT just make fun of South Park.

RichH55
11-19-2002, 05:23 AM

Nah we have to have knee-jerk reactions to things

RichH55
11-19-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Nice....I just love that Pinky sounds almost exactly like Orson Welles(in fact the voice for Pinky has voiced a mock Orson)...good times

harwar
11-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Also:

I guess we'll know a lot more in 27 days.Thats the monday after the winter meetings close.I don't feel good about putting the future of the only sports team that i really love,in ken williams hands.

harwar
11-19-2002, 10:11 AM
"I want to go back to playing defense" i wonder if Frank is saying this to try and lure NL teams or if he really means it.The fact that hes' working out so hard and is getting focused is great.However:He is the DH,and if he really wants a lot more field time then things can get hairy.I'm just hoping that he is back in a WHITE SOX uni next year.

maurice
11-19-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by daver
You're right,they should have brought up Mark Dellasandro or Lee Evans and let MJ walk............

Teal please! The notion that this actually could happen almost gave me a heart attack.

maurice
11-19-2002, 10:52 AM
This is why I love this place: posts that contain allusions to both great works of American literature and contemporary television programs specializing in fart jokes. Surely any reader would get at least one of the references . . . or maybe not:

i guess my point is, 'lenny', is certainly NOT meaningful as a nickname to ANYone unless you explain the reference whenever it's used. lenny, by itself, is too common a name and not one in 500 people, probably way more, would follow your meaning unless it was explained to them. it's more an 'inside' joke to those who are steinbeck fans.

Allusions typically reference popular culture. I can think of only two Lennys who satisfy this requirement: the one who crushes puppies and the one who hangs around with Squiggy. The reference works either way. (Mice and Men was great, but I hated Grapes of Wrath, so I'm certainly no "Steinbeck fan.")

BTW: Do you really know a lot of folks named "Lenny"? :?:

as for butters ... i have no clue what you're talking about. am i the only one?

I didn't know this immediately either, but figured it out after the first time it was explained. (It was explained twice before the post I'm quoting and twice afterwards.)

South Park is hilarious, but Comedy Central comes in fuzzy on my set. :(:

Dadawg_77
11-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Honestly the first time I heard the Lenny nickname I thought JR was Carl. I can how some nicknames could be confusing to a person new to the site, but Idseer has been around.

FarmerAndy
11-19-2002, 11:17 AM
"something he's done 37 times since the '98 season."

Does Gammons just make these numbers up?

1999 - 50 Games at 1B
2000 - 30 Games at 1B
2001 - 3 Games at 1B
2002 - 4 Games at 1B

Now I was never a good math student, but.....

Granted, it's still not alot of defense. But it kills me that I can look up this info while screwin' around on the computer, while somebody who gets paid alot of money to write this stuff just pulls numers out of the air and prints them.

OneDog
11-19-2002, 12:48 PM
For all those who want to use new nicknames for our wonderful front office staff, I'm all for it. It shows you care. Why not add you're nickname to the WSI dictionary. When I first joined, it was a big help to me and could help out new members who don't get the lingo.

voodoochile
11-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Nice....I just love that Pinky sounds almost exactly like Orson Welles(in fact the voice for Pinky has voiced a mock Orson)...good times

Oh thank God. I'm not going crazy... Is that show still on?

voodoochile
11-19-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Honestly the first time I heard the Lenny nickname I thought JR was Carl. I can how some nicknames could be confusing to a person new to the site, but Idseer has been around.

From a racial perspective it would actually be the other way around.

Older posters might even think "Who's Squiggy?"

Still, From the way it was used the first time, I figured he was referring to "OMAM", but don't ask me why. There are lots of stupid Lenny's throughout TV and literature history...

doublem23
11-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

I thought "The Brain" was the mock Wells, but then again, I was about 12 when that show was in its peak, so what do I remember?

Narf... Hee hee.

voodoochile
11-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I thought "The Brain" was the mock Wells, but then again, I was about 12 when that show was in its peak, so what do I remember?

Narf... Hee hee.

Brain: We must get home before tomorrow, Pinky.

Pinky: Why, what are we doing tomorrow, Brain?

Brain: The same thing we do every day, Pinky. Try to take over the world...

voodoochile
11-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
"something he's done 37 times since the '98 season."

Does Gammons just make these numbers up?

1999 - 50 Games at 1B
2000 - 30 Games at 1B
2001 - 3 Games at 1B
2002 - 4 Games at 1B

Now I was never a good math student, but.....

Granted, it's still not alot of defense. But it kills me that I can look up this info while screwin' around on the computer, while somebody who gets paid alot of money to write this stuff just pulls numers out of the air and prints them.

:boston
"You expect me to get the facts right? How can I possibly have time for that when I am spending all my time sucking up to my sweet, sweet Red Sox. Jay, you've got my back, right?"

:moron
"Absolutely, sweetheart... er... darling... er... Peter. It is a well known fact that though Peter was incorrect on how many times Frank played first, he was definitely correct as to how many times Frank has played first WELL in that time period. In fact you scum Sox fans got the benefit of the doubt because that evil, fat, lazy, mouthy, not-good-enough-for-minimum-wage-in-this-or-any-man's league, can't-hit-as-well-as-the-godlike-shamme Frank "The big pain-in-the-ass" Thomas has never played first well and in reality has never even had a good season at the plate and can't... can't... can't... (starts to foam at the mouth)"

:boston
"See? I told you I was right and now you have a credible scholarly journalist to tell you so."

idseer
11-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

true, i have been around, but i don't read everything or even most things. if a topic interests me i go for it and if it gets too far off base (kind of like this one) i leave it .

daver, i don't know why you're so bent out of shape. the post wasn't meant as an insult and it appears to me torn labrum didn't take it as one. in either case i doubt he needs protection.

and torn, i appreciate the explanations of the origins of the names. i'm sure most here are used to them but they so bounce off me that even when i figure it out in a post, then not see it again for a week, i have to look it up all over again. guess it's just one of my blindspots.
btw i do read most of your articles and even agree with you most of the time. when i come across the nicks they are usually together and without knowing which name applies to whom i can just sluff over them.

sorry my remark got so blown up everyone.

Daver
11-19-2002, 05:46 PM

daver, i don't know why you're so bent out of shape. the post wasn't meant as an insult and it appears to me torn labrum didn't take it as one. in either case i doubt he needs protection.

I was not protecting anyone,I was pointing out the fact that there are better ways to get your point across than to call someone a seven year old,consider it constructive criticsm.

TornLabrum
11-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I did, Brain...NARF! BTW, the funniest episode was the one where they take the famous Orson Welles voiceover session almost word for word. In July....

TornLabrum
11-19-2002, 08:43 PM
true, i have been around, but i don't read everything or even most things. if a topic interests me i go for it and if it gets too far off base (kind of like this one) i leave it .

and torn, i appreciate the explanations of the origins of the names. i'm sure most here are used to them but they so bounce off me that even when i figure it out in a post, then not see it again for a week, i have to look it up all over again. guess it's just one of my blindspots.
btw i do read most of your articles and even agree with you most of the time. when i come across the nicks they are usually together and without knowing which name applies to whom i can just sluff over them.

sorry my remark got so blown up everyone.

My comments have been to facilitate banter. I think of message boards as being like a bar where the patrons go to talk baseball and banter back and forth. I'm glad you have taken my returned barbs in just that light. I really have a lot of fun here.

SouthSideHitman
11-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Don't tell me Mark Johnson is more valuable than Cory Lidle, please. Johnson will be gone by July anyway with any luck and a strong showing from Olivo and any from Paul. Besides, there is no way the Sox have four starters better than Lidle. As for dawdling, he has made two good trades, someone for Marte and the Garland and Singleton for Erstad (damn Eisner!).

Daver
11-21-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Don't tell me Mark Johnson is more valuable than Cory Lidle, please. Johnson will be gone by July anyway with any luck and a strong showing from Olivo and any from Paul. Besides, there is no way the Sox have four starters better than Lidle. As for dawdling, he has made two good trades, someone for Marte and the Garland and Singleton for Erstad (damn Eisner!).

The fact that the Sox signed Mark Johnson pretty much indicates it will be Josh Paul who is shown the door,the sooner the better.

maurice
11-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
As for dawdling, he has made two good trades, someone for Marte and the Garland and Singleton for Erstad (damn Eisner!).

The Marte trade looks great, but I'm not so sure about that second one. Erstad is a good defensive player and fun to watch, but his offensive production is way down since his career year in 2000. In fact, Singleton (.706 OPS) and Erstad (.702 OPS) were almost the same player in 2002. It looks like Garland will be our #2 or #3 starter out of spring training.

moochpuppy
11-22-2002, 01:02 PM
The White Sox are looking for a No. 2 starter

I think I'm having deja-vu.

RichH55
11-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The Marte trade looks great, but I'm not so sure about that second one. Erstad is a good defensive player and fun to watch, but his offensive production is way down since his career year in 2000. In fact, Singleton (.706 OPS) and Erstad (.702 OPS) were almost the same player in 2002. It looks like Garland will be our #2 or #3 starter out of spring training.

Erstad is definately one of those overrated guys....I guess we lucked out there