PDA

View Full Version : info on hampton to braves

jeremyb1
11-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Baseball America columnist Mike Berardino reports in Sunday's editions of the Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale) that Florida indeed will trade Hampton to Atlanta for Tim Spooneybarger and a mid-level prospect. Berardino also reports that Hampton personally paid for Johnson's $1 million relocation bonus, and that the Marlins will assume $38 million of Hampton's remaining $84.5 million salary. That means Colorado has saved $26.3 million, Florida has trimmed $9.2 million and Atlanta gets six years of Hampton for $35.5 million. When the Marlins-Braves transaction is officially completed, we'll provide a more detailed analysis.

my question is how are the braves getting away with paying hampton just 6 million for the next 6 years (only about a third of his contract) and giving up only spoonybarger and a midlevel prospect? why couldn't we have done this or any other team? i can't believe someone like the cubs wouldn't have been interested and willing to give up more.

RichH55
11-19-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Baseball America columnist Mike Berardino reports in Sunday's editions of the Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale) that Florida indeed will trade Hampton to Atlanta for Tim Spooneybarger and a mid-level prospect. Berardino also reports that Hampton personally paid for Johnson's $1 million relocation bonus, and that the Marlins will assume $38 million of Hampton's remaining $84.5 million salary. That means Colorado has saved $26.3 million, Florida has trimmed $9.2 million and Atlanta gets six years of Hampton for $35.5 million. When the Marlins-Braves transaction is officially completed, we'll provide a more detailed analysis.

my question is how are the braves getting away with paying hampton just 6 million for the next 6 years (only about a third of his contract) and giving up only spoonybarger and a midlevel prospect? why couldn't we have done this or any other team? i can't believe someone like the cubs wouldn't have been interested and willing to give up more.

Just a good move by the Braves... 6 million per? Hell even if he flops thats a good move....I think they are betting more on Millwood maintaining his form rather than Hampton regaining his......worst case scenario they move Smoltz back to the rotation

hold2dibber
11-19-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

First, Hampton had a no trade clause in his contract, and I'm quite certain he would have invoked it to remain in Colorado if he had not been assured of landing with a contender in a city he likes. Thus, even if we offered Maggs, PK and Crede, he wouldn't have been coming to the South Side.

Second, it's still a pretty big risk for the Braves. Six years at $6 mm per year isn't exactly peanuts for a guy who was, arguably, the worst starting pitcher in the majors last year. I agree Hampton has big upside, but it's a risky deal either way.

Iwritecode
11-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
First, Hampton had a no trade clause in his contract, and I'm quite certain he would have invoked it to remain in Colorado if he had not been assured of landing with a contender in a city he likes. Thus, even if we offered Maggs, PK and Crede, he wouldn't have been coming to the South Side.

Second, it's still a pretty big risk for the Braves. Six years at $6 mm per year isn't exactly peanuts for a guy who was, arguably, the worst starting pitcher in the majors last year. I agree Hampton has big upside, but it's a risky deal either way.

Hampton would never come to the south side. He only wants to play for NL teams.

Dadawg_77
11-19-2002, 10:07 AM
This raises a question, if a pitcher like Mike wants to bat so badly he won't come to the AL, how good would that pitcher have to be in order for an AL team to not use a DH every five games?

voodoochile
11-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
This raises a question, if a pitcher like Mike wants to bat so badly he won't come to the AL, how good would that pitcher have to be in order for an AL team to not use a DH every five games?

Couldn't he just BE the DH if that were the case?

jeremyb1
11-19-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

recent reports have the number at more like 8 million instead of 6 so that makes a difference. my point was necessarily that i thought we actually should or could aquire hampton ourselves but i'm suprised a team like the cubs who can take on 20 million in salary this season or a team like the cardinals wouldn't go after him.

Lip Man 1
11-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Tim Kurkjian at ESPN.com has a story breaking down the deal. Here's the killer though for Sox fans...

Kurkjian reports that BOTH the Rockies and Marlins will be paying a MINIMUM of 30 million over the life of the deal to the Braves for taking Hampton.

30 MILLION DOLLARS!!

That is a crystal clear difference between a winning organization (Atlanta) and a loser (Sox)

Atlanta gets a pretty good pitcher and has two garbage teams helping to pay for it!

The Sox meanwhile have to PAY the Giants, Rockies and A's to take our players!

Absolutely amazing! (and some of you out there STILL think the Sox will eventually win something under Reinsdorf / Williams???)

The Sox couldn't win a pennent if they were the ONLY team in the damn league.

Lip

ma-gaga
11-19-2002, 03:22 PM
I've spent way too much time looking at this deal and here's what I have:

Pre-trade commitments:
Marlins - $55.7
Braves - $ 0.3
Rockies - $111.1

Post-trade commitments:
Marlins - $30.4
Braves - $48.5
Rockies - $88.2

Savings:
Marlins - $25.3
Braves - $(48.2)
Rockies - $22.9

Most of the Rockies savings and Braves commitments are backloaded. So I don't know what that does to 'todays' dollars. Should decrease the amount that Atlanta is spending and the amount that Colorado is saving.

I know people are throwing around numbers like 'Colorado is saving $40 million...' but I can't seem to figure out how that works. Regardless, the Marlins/Rockies got Atlanta to split the difference on a bunch of bad contracts, and Atlanta got Mike Hampton. This is an interesting deal.

Daver
11-19-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

I know people are throwing around numbers like 'Colorado is saving $40 million...' but I can't seem to figure out how that works. Regardless, the Marlins/Rockies got Atlanta to split the difference on a bunch of bad contracts, and Atlanta got Mike Hampton. This is an interesting deal.

Here is Dave Pease's take on it from Baseball Prospectus. (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20021118daily.shtml)

ma-gaga
11-19-2002, 05:28 PM
I saw that. Even D.Pease admits that he doesn't quite know the situation. As I understand, the Marlins are paying for the majority of the front end of the deal not the backend like D.Pease's article assumed...

I could still be wrong too. But todays papers seem to indicate that Atlanta is paying the entire BACKEND of the deal, and the Marlins are paying the majority of the FRONTEND of the deal, and the Rockies are paying the rest (signing bonus's, 2009 buyout, donation to the M.Hampton charity, and money to the Marlins to help pay the first couple of years...)

:cool: