PDA

View Full Version : yanks get inside track to japan


baggio202
11-16-2002, 06:46 PM
Yankees team with Yomiuri Giants
By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com


TOKYO -- The New York Yankees and Yomiuri Giants announced an extensive scouting and minor league non-player personnel agreement at a press conference Saturday afternoon in a hotel immediately adjacent to the Tokyo Dome.
The agreement is open ended, said Randy Levine, the Yankees president. It gives the Yankees no inside track on signing Giants slugger Hideki Matsui, a free agent who is playing for the Japan All-Star team and has declared his intentions to play in the Major Leagues next season. Nor is it a first step toward establishing a broadcast agreement that would allow networks in both countries to telecast the other team's games.

"We went into this partnership because we continuously seek ways to improve and get better," Levine said. "Obviously, the Giants have such a fundamentally solid organization. There are so many things that we can learn from them so that we can get better. We welcome an association with an organization that does things so well."

Levine was flanked during the press conference by Stephen Swindal, the team's general partner, Brian Cashman, its general manager, and Jean Afterman, Cashman's assistant. Representing the Giants was Yoshinori Horikawa, their president, Makato Doi, their general manager, and Gyo Ishiguro, the executive officer from Yomiuri's culture and sports project bureau.

"Through this working relationship we're hoping we'll be able to receive tremendous amount of correct information on Major League players," Horikawa said. "The areas we've agreed on are very, very basic. The goal is to work at it in the future and discuss and further strengthen this relationship."

The teams are the most successful in their respective leagues and countries and have combined to win 46 championships. The Yankees have won the World Series a record 26 times and the Giants have won the Japan Series a record 20 times.

Levine said that a memorandum of understanding signed by the two clubs on Saturday was previously analyzed and approved by Major League Baseball's Office of the Commissioner. Levine said any future changes, which might include broadcast or player rights, would be pursued under the strict guidelines of MLB and Nippon Professional Baseball, as were the initial stipulations of the memorandum of understanding.

The document spells out seven facets of the new relationship:


Exchange of general baseball information, including scouting reports on professional baseball players in the U.S. and Japan.

Daver
11-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Baggio,please do not post an entire article here,post a link,it is a violation of copyright law to post the entire article,and this site could get shutdown because of it.You can quote an article,but you can't post the whole thing.

Thank you.

I edited out part of the article above,if you want to edit the post to add a link so that the rest can see the entire article.

baggio202
11-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by daver
Baggio,please do not post an entire article here,post a link,it is a violation of copyright law to post the entire article,and this site could get shutdown because of it.You can quote an article,but you can't post the whole thing.

Thank you.

I edited out part of the article above,if you want to edit the post to add a link so that the rest can see the entire article.

im sorry..i didnt know that...ill make sure it wont happen in the future

Jjav829
11-16-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
im sorry..i didnt know that...ill make sure it wont happen in the future

It was in a thread that was posted while you were wherever the hell you were for those few months. Thats why you didn't know. :smile:

Daver
11-16-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
im sorry..i didnt know that...ill make sure it wont happen in the future

It was posted here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15002&highlight=Everyone+please+read) ,you may not have seen it.

With MLB going after websites the last thing we need is to give them a copyright violation case against us.

baggio202
11-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
It was in a thread that was posted while you were wherever the hell you were for those few months. Thats why you didn't know. :smile:

i was coaching middle school football..wouldnt believe the amount of time it takes...watching film of practices , our games and our upcoming opponents games , putting together gameplans , organizing practices...i can see why NFL coaches have beds in their office...spent a good 25 -30 hours a week doing coaching related stuff

Soxheads
11-16-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i was coaching middle school football..wouldnt believe the amount of time it takes...watching film of practices , our games and our upcoming opponents games , putting together gameplans , organizing practices...i can see why NFL coaches have beds in their office...spent a good 25 -30 hours a week doing coaching related stuff

What was your record?

baggio202
11-16-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
What was your record?

4-5 , we started out 1-4 and had a strong finish..it was my first year as a head coach and i blame most of that 1-4 start on me...didnt properly prepare

RichH55
11-19-2002, 05:52 AM
This could actually be bigger than one might think....Of course Seattle and LA will also be big players in the Japanese market, but I believe that if they go to a worldwide draft that still will not include Japan and at a time where Japan seems to be opening up to outside talent raiders, this would be a good time to get involved....I would love to see the sox make a run at the OF this year or the SS next year(especially the SS)