PDA

View Full Version : yanks - sox talking trade with maggs

baggio202
11-16-2002, 04:50 PM
this is from a venezuelan newspaper ran through a spanish to englis translator..its hard to follow but it looks like something could be happening with the yanks...

The Yankees tempting

- ¿Is certain that the Yankees are you "tempting"? "They carry time conversing with the White sox". - ¿AND have advanced something? "I ignore it. Have also conversed with me, but not to have something concrete". - ¿You would go with the yakees? "That will depend on the situation of the White sox to middle of the next season. If the equipment follows without giving results, inevitably there will be movement. There possibly it it will be defined mine"

whitesoxwilkes
11-16-2002, 04:57 PM
post the quote in spanish, i'll be glad to translate it into something a bit more intelligible.

baggio202
11-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
post the quote in spanish, i'll be glad to translate it into something a bit more intelligible.

http://www.meridiano.com.ve/20021115/ver_entrevistas.asp

thanks

Jjav829
11-16-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
http://www.meridiano.com.ve/20021115/ver_entrevistas.asp

thanks

That link doesn't work. Change the 5 to a 6 and it will work.

whitesoxwilkes
11-16-2002, 05:46 PM
maggs says that of course the sox and yankees talk about trades, but all teams do that, and that if the sox aren't producing come next July, of course trades are gonna happen, and who's to say that he won;t be part of it? at no point does he express an interest in wanting to leave los medias blancas though, unlike his compadre jefe liefer.

Jjav829
11-16-2002, 05:49 PM
maggs says that of course the sox and yankees talk about trades, but all teams do that, and that if the sox aren't producing come next July, of course trades are gonna happen, and who's to say that he won;t be part of it? at no point does he express an interest in wanting to leave los medias blancas though, unlike his compadre jefe liefer.

Well, thats a relief. Thanks for the translation.

RedPinStripes
11-16-2002, 05:51 PM
That dont sound as bad as i thought it was at first. :cool:

baggio202
11-16-2002, 05:56 PM

thanks for the translation..it sounded worse to me too through the translator

whitesoxwilkes
11-16-2002, 06:18 PM
BTW, if you didn;t figure it out, there's nothing in the article about Liefer. I just liked the wam "Jefe Liefer" sounded.

harwar
11-17-2002, 10:21 AM
I just wonder what will happen when Maggs" contract is up after the 2004 season.Will reinsDORF pay the exorbitant amount that it will take to keep him.

jeremyb1
11-17-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by harwar
I just wonder what will happen when Maggs" contract is up after the 2004 season.Will reinsDORF pay the exorbitant amount that it will take to keep him.

the way the market's dried up if maggs were a free agent today we wouldn't have to pay him more than 15 million i don't think. that's what thome's going to get and i think we're already paying maggs over 10 million for at least one of these last two years on his deal. i don't think it be a huge problem for us to pay maggs 15 a year. the only issue is how long he'd want the deal to be but i think reinsdorf would lock him up like he did with thomas. maggs is the franchise player.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Here's my translation. (I don't speak a word of Spanish). :smile:

"El signor Ordonez, hero to the People of Venezuela, please enlighten us why your extraordinary talents aren't recognized and utilized by the remarkable Yanquis of New York? Have you heard of any interest by El Signor Steinbrenner to acquire your services for his champion baseball team Americanos?"

"And furthermore, el Signor Ordonez, who are these Medias Blancos a Chicago, and how long have they been playing at the level of beisbol Americanos maximos? Most of your countrymen thought they dropped to division el segundo after the great Luis Aparicio went to Baltimore 40 years ago.

:maggs
"Look, I've already opened my trap far more than I should have. Let's just say, 'Drink Pese, and I'll see you at the ballpark," okay?"

SI1020
11-17-2002, 05:57 PM
maggs says that of course the sox and yankees talk about trades, but all teams do that, and that if the sox aren't producing come next July, of course trades are gonna happen, and who's to say that he won;t be part of it? at no point does he express an interest in wanting to leave los medias blancas though, unlike his compadre jefe liefer. Muchas gracias senor whitesoxwilkes. Hablo y leo el espanol un poco. Deseo a apprender el espanol muy bueno.

whitesoxwilkes
11-17-2002, 06:08 PM
De nada. I lived in Mexico City for a year, let me tell you, anyone who says learning Spanish is easy must be on crack.

jortafan
11-17-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

"And furthermore, el Signor Ordonez, who are these Medias Blancos a Chicago, and how long have they been playing at the level of beisbol Americanos maximos? Most of your countrymen thought they dropped to division el segundo after the great Luis Aparicio went to Baltimore 40 years ago.

I realize this post is a gag, but actually Venezuela is one of the few places outside the South Side where the White Sox are greatly respected, possibly more so than the Yanquis de Nueva York. Has something to do with that string of native shortstops, Carrasquel, Aparicio and Guillen, along with current beisbol star Ordonez.

Ol Aches & Pains
11-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
I realize this post is a gag, but actually Venezuela is one of the few places outside the South Side where the White Sox are greatly respected, possibly more so than the Yanquis de Nueva York. Has something to do with that string of native shortstops, Carrasquel, Aparicio and Guillen, along with current beisbol star Ordonez.

If the Sox are so well connected in Venezuela, how did we miss getting first crack at Francisco Rodriguez? Kid K would look muy bueno en el uniforme de los Calcetines del Blanco de Chicago.

Ventura23Fan
11-20-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
If the Sox are so well connected in Venezuela, how did we miss getting first crack at Francisco Rodriguez? Kid K would look muy bueno en el uniforme de los Calcetines del Blanco de Chicago.

I worked a few months down in Mexico and I once called the White Sox "Calcetines Blancos." I was laughed at and was told the correct term en espanol is Medias Blancas. I think calcetines are like women's stockings or pantyhose. It wasn't the first nor the last time this gringo was laughed at for his poor Spanish.

Ol Aches & Pains
11-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
I worked a few months down in Mexico and I once called the White Sox "Calcetines Blancos." I was laughed at and was told the correct term en espanol is Medias Blancas. I think calcetines are like women's stockings or pantyhose. It wasn't the first nor the last time this gringo was laughed at for his poor Spanish.

(Sigh) Whatever. At least I tried. On the Alta Vista Babelfish website, "los Medias Blancas" translates to "the Average White".

Daver
11-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
(Sigh) Whatever. At least I tried. On the Alta Vista Babelfish website, "los Medias Blancas" translates to "the Average White".

The Babelfish is an imperfect creature,like all of us.Even if it is a fictional creature.

Viva Magglio
11-21-2002, 08:04 AM
:maggs
"¡Los Cachorros son basura! ¡Viva los Medias Blancas!"

harwar
11-21-2002, 08:46 AM
When i was younger i used to go to mexico quite a bit and i've found that the drunker i got the better my spanish seemed to be.