PDA

View Full Version : Thome a flub?

jcw218
11-16-2002, 12:15 PM
So far, the Indians and Phillies are the only teams involved in the Thome sweepstakes. However, Rooney told The Plain Dealer that a third team has entered the picture.

That team could be the Chicago Cubs, who hired manager Dusty Baker on Friday and now could be ready to make a move in the free agent market.

Complete article here... http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20021116/ap-indians-thome.html

Any thoughts?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-16-2002, 12:59 PM
The dope is from Peoria and has never hidden his allegiance as a Flubs fan. With He's Chop Suey looking like yet another over-hyped Flubbie bust, I wouldn't be surprised to see Thome spouting all the usual platitudes (you know, "baseball in the sunshine", "greatest fans in the universe", "beeee-ut-iful Wrigley Field") insides the Flubbie clubhouse at the Urinal.

Morons eat that **** up. Thome will fit right in.

kermittheefrog
11-16-2002, 01:27 PM
Given THome's age and the money he'd be making they'd be much smarter to make Hee Seop Choi the first baseman.

jcw218
11-16-2002, 01:36 PM
origionally posted by kermittheefrog

Given THome's age and the money he'd be making they'd be much smarter to make Hee Seop Choi the first baseman.

But this is the cubs that we're talking about. Since when have they done anything smart.

Jjav829
11-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by jcw218
But this is the cubs that we're talking about. Since when have they done anything smart.

Just use this http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/quote.gif button that is located at the bottom of the persons post to get the "originally posted by ____" quote.

jcw218
11-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the tip. :smile:

Lip Man 1
11-17-2002, 12:31 AM
Just a gut feeling but I think the 3rd "mystery team" is the Orioles.

The Baltimore Sun story on Frank Thomas' advances towards them on Thursday, had Thome listed first as the O's primary off season target.

Lip

jcw218
11-17-2002, 02:13 AM
the mystery team might also be the Braves

Braves officials have downplayed reports that have said they are interested in first baseman Alex Cabrera. All indications are that the team is seeking a left-handed bat to play first base. ...

here's the link http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20021115&content_id=178026&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

harwar
11-17-2002, 09:17 AM
I hate the cubs as much as the next guy but the seem to be actually trying to improve their team.

OneDog
11-17-2002, 02:32 PM
The Phillies seem the most likely to put up the big bucks for Thome. After getting rid of Rolen, Philly is looking to prove to their fan base that they are still committed to winning.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
The Phillies seem the most likely to put up the big bucks for Thome. After getting rid of Rolen, Philly is looking to prove to their fan base that they are still committed to winning.

Gee whiz, Dog, you're making me all nostalgic! When was the last time Reinsdorf went out and made a full commitment to winning?

My guess is the Carlton Fisk signing, 1981. :(:

(The Albert Belle signing was a sham, intended to punish JR's fellow baseball owners more than improve the Sox. I've previously explained my position on this issue several times).

FanOf14
11-17-2002, 03:54 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Harwar. I wish the Sox would at least make an attempt to improve the team, anything at all; at this point I am dreading next season to say the least...

Daver
11-17-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I wish the Sox would at least make an attempt to improve the team, anything at all

Jeez,they signed Mark Johnson to a new contract,what more can you ask for?

Ol Aches & Pains
11-18-2002, 06:36 PM
God, I hate Jim Thome (rhymes with "blow me"). Especially his mannerism in the batter's box where he extends the bat in front of him in his right hand until it's pointed straight at the pitcher, and holds it there, before every freakin' pitch! I wish I could put him in a time machine to 1968, and watch him do that with Bob Gibson on the mound. Or Don Drysdale. :angry: