PDA

View Full Version : dusty baker

jortafan
11-15-2002, 08:38 PM
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20021115-083044-9668r

just saw this. Shows you how little I know. I didn't think they'd be able to sign him. It's a good thing Konerko signed yesterday. He'd have been totally ignored if it had happened today.

duke of dorwood
11-15-2002, 08:46 PM
They have one less excuse now

Daver
11-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20021115-083044-9668r

just saw this. Shows you how little I know. I didn't think they'd be able to sign him. It's a good thing Konerko signed yesterday. He'd have been totally ignored if it had happened today.

Why wouldn't they be able to sign him? There are no other jobs available,and they did a fine job of bidding against themselves,they only upped their offer by one million dollars from their initial offer,the sCrUBS usually do worse than that in a one horse race.

I'm sorry but this whole thing makes me laugh.........

HawkDJ
11-15-2002, 09:40 PM
Just curious to know, does anyone know how much $ Jerry Manuel's contract is?

Viva Magglio
11-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Now all the dumbass Flub fans will be burning up the Score's phone lines and chirping.

:chunks

bc2k
11-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by daver
Why wouldn't they be able to sign him? There are no other jobs available,and they did a fine job of bidding against themselves,they only upped their offer by one million dollars from their initial offer,the sCrUBS usually do worse than that in a one horse race.

I'm sorry but this whole thing makes me laugh.........

Baker could threaten to sit out a year to bilk more money out of the Cubs.

Daver
11-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Baker could threaten to sit out a year to bilk more money out of the Cubs.

His tax bill yo the IRS would make that scenario impossible.

Lip Man 1
11-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Jorta says:

"It's a good thing Konerko signed yesterday or he'd be totally ignored ."

He was anyway. ESPN's SportsCenter didn't have a thing on it Thursday night. They did however have the Thomas interested in Baltimore story.

And don't underestimate Baker's ability.

In a perfect world, the Sox would consider his signing a threat and react accordingly to try to improve the club and get their share of PR from the media. But when you have an owner who says on a radio interview that "Chicago has alwas belonged to the Cubs." that's not going to happen. He's surrendered again, just like he did in July 1997.

Lip

DVG
11-16-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jorta says:

He was anyway. ESPN's SportsCenter didn't have a thing on it Thursday night. They did however have the Thomas interested in Baltimore story.

In a perfect world, the Sox would consider his signing a threat and react accordingly to try to improve the club and get their share of PR from the media. But when you have an owner who says on a radio interview that "Chicago has alwas belonged to the Cubs." that's not going to happen. He's surrendered again, just like he did in July 1997.

Lip

Get over the F...in' white flag trade already, Lipster. For crying out loud. I've stated the reasons before, I won't again. I'll admit,
though, that I am annoyed that the team is doing nothing to
counter the Cubs' PR moves. I remember reading a comment by
Frank Lane in one of Bob Vanderberg's books on the Sox that the team was always battling the Cubs for ink space in the papers.
I have to also admit that I was far more annoyed during the
season when the Sox did nothing to counter the abuse that
the Tribune heaped on the team and fans; example the unbeliev-
ably ridiculous house organ story about Sox fans murdering the
sacred ivy.

But look at it this way. Perhaps the Front Office mindset (and I'm
only speculating, nothing I'd ever write in a paper without getting
solid facts) is that they can't win, no matter what. Any PR move
that they make will be ripped and/or held in disdain by the Chi-
cago sports media. They could go out and sign Maddux and Gla-
vine and Reinsdorf's sworn blood oath archenemies in the media
would find a negative spin for it.

SI1020
11-16-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jorta says:

Lip I must be getting positively ancient because I remember when Chicago didn't "belong" to the cubs. By the way, when did he say that? You don't have to be Freud to read between the lines there.

voodoochile
11-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by DVG
Get over the F...in' white flag trade already, Lipster. For crying out loud. I've stated the reasons before, I won't again. I'll admit,
though, that I am annoyed that the team is doing nothing to
counter the Cubs' PR moves. I remember reading a comment by
Frank Lane in one of Bob Vanderberg's books on the Sox that the team was always battling the Cubs for ink space in the papers.
I have to also admit that I was far more annoyed during the
season when the Sox did nothing to counter the abuse that
the Tribune heaped on the team and fans; example the unbeliev-
ably ridiculous house organ story about Sox fans murdering the
sacred ivy.

But look at it this way. Perhaps the Front Office mindset (and I'm
only speculating, nothing I'd ever write in a paper without getting
solid facts) is that they can't win, no matter what. Any PR move
that they make will be ripped and/or held in disdain by the Chi-
cago sports media. They could go out and sign Maddux and Gla-
vine and Reinsdorf's sworn blood oath archenemies in the media
would find a negative spin for it.

Two points. I don't think Lip hates the outcome of the WF trade, but he hates the mentality that allowed it to happen and hates the negative publicity it has rightfully earned the Sox. Lip feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I think that on that point you and he and really almost all Sox fans are in agreement on - I know that I am.

As to JR having sworn enemies. I think he has to take some of the blame. The man is hypersensative about his image. Especially that of being a cheapskate (rightfully earned). JR wants to correct his image, he has to stop saying things like "This has always been a flubbie town" and "Anyone who thinks we can catch Cleveland is crazy." He has to start spending more money and stop running good players out of town. His reputation with the media is well earned. It takes two to fight and JR is definitely holding up his end of the bargain...