PDA

View Full Version : Williams comment on Rowand

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2002, 08:52 PM
"This doesn't change our plans," Williams said Wednesday night. "It was something I would have preferred was kept quiet in case something popped up down here."

Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

It sounds like he is saying he is looking to move Rowand. Which is fine. Now when he says in case something pops up, I'm sure he means a trade. So he'd be trading a guy who can't play till April or May.

Am I wrong here? Or would be trading a hurt guy once again?

Hullett_Fan
11-14-2002, 09:11 PM
That's funny. KW implicated himself. Why shouldn't the media report that he hurt himself? I'm sure he checked into a hospital and it became public knowledge quickly.

Was KW going to hide it and try to deal him away without telling the other team's GM?

Wouldn't get much for him...healthy or hurt.

voodoochile
11-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

It sounds like he is saying he is looking to move Rowand. Which is fine. Now when he says in case something pops up, I'm sure he means a trade. So he'd be trading a guy who can't play till April or May.

I spotted this in the newspaper earlier tonight and was thinking about posting it myself. Certainly puts the Sirotka trade in a new light, IMO. Yes, I know the burden lies with the Bluejays, but the current comment certainly makes it seem that KW is not adverse to trading players with injuries and trying to hide the injury until the deal is finalized or at least close to being finalized.

KW better get his head out of his ass, because comments like these do not make it easier for the Sox to make trades and certainly harder to get fair value if the other teams think you are hiding something.

cheeses_h_rice
11-14-2002, 09:30 PM
Just another brick in the Wall of Proof that KW is one of the biggest control-freak GMs I've ever seen in professional sports.

Reporting that Rowand messed up his body while riding motocross or whatever seems like the right thing to me...hasn't this team learned anything about not "fully disclosing" crap?

Sheesh.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2002, 10:14 PM
I'm confused...(it won't be the first time!)

The newspaper and some fans here at WSI are saying that Rowand won't be able to play until April or May, yet the newspaper said the rehab is going to take three or four months.

Let's see, it's mid November. Three months means he'll be back in mid February. Four months in mid March.

Why shouldn't he play able to play from the start of the season?

Of course if the Sox go out and somehow find an actual center fielder it won't matter anyway, Rowand will be back on the bench.

Lip

harwar
11-15-2002, 08:03 AM
If anyone deseved the nickname "slick" its KW.I mean i wouldn't buy anything from this guy,let alone a used car.

hold2dibber
11-15-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I'm the first guy to agree that KW has done a lousy job, overall, as the Sox GM. However, I think all of you are misinterpreting this quote. I mean, there's no way KW is dumb enough to try to trade Rowand without disclosing the accident. No one would EVER make a deal with him again. Instead, my interpretation of the quote, and, frankly, the only interpretation that seems reasonable to me, is that he wanted it kept quiet so that if he had the opportunity to pick up an outfielder, the other team wouldn't know of Rowand's injury. If the team on the other side of a trade knows Rowand is hurt and thinks the Sox are therefore more desperate for a replacement, the price for the replacement is likely to rise. Its a simple supply/demand kind of thing.

To trade Rowand without disclosing the injury would make KW the stupidest man on earth. And although we can all criticize some of KW's deals, and we can all criticize the way he has managed people/personnel under him, I certainly don't think we have reason to conclude that he is a complete and utter, irredeemable idiot.

Yet.

voodoochile
11-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm the first guy to agree that KW has done a lousy job, overall, as the Sox GM. However, I think all of you are misinterpreting this quote. I mean, there's no way KW is dumb enough to try to trade Rowand without disclosing the accident. No one would EVER make a deal with him again. Instead, my interpretation of the quote, and, frankly, the only interpretation that seems reasonable to me, is that he wanted it kept quiet so that if he had the opportunity to pick up an outfielder, the other team wouldn't know of Rowand's injury. If the team on the other side of a trade knows Rowand is hurt and thinks the Sox are therefore more desperate for a replacement, the price for the replacement is likely to rise. Its a simple supply/demand kind of thing.

To trade Rowand without disclosing the injury would make KW the stupidest man on earth. And although we can all criticize some of KW's deals, and we can all criticize the way he has managed people/personnel under him, I certainly don't think we have reason to conclude that he is a complete and utter, irredeemable idiot.

Yet.

This exact thought occured to me after I shut down the computer last night. Perhaps you are correct, but I wouldn't rule out the idea that KW is the stupedist man on earth, or at least the most egotistical. Heck, he may look at it as a source of pride that he smoked Gord Ash in the Sirotka trade and is looking forward to doing it again to see if he can get away with it. If Wynona can steal for a thrill, why can't KW?

pearso66
11-15-2002, 09:30 AM
i highly doubt they would trade him without telilng the other team he is injured, that is just plain stupid. and going back to the sirotka deal, he was checked out by 2 blue jay's doctors and cleared able to play, thats not williams fault, thats their fault. now let this go on record as probably the only time i back williams

Iwritecode
11-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Of course if the Sox go out and somehow find an actual center fielder it won't matter anyway, Rowand will be back on the bench.

Well... there's this Japanese player nicknamed "Godzilla" that plays CF...

:)

Huisj
11-15-2002, 11:07 AM

Yet.

On the other hand, KW also makes some pathetically horrible trades like the ritchie deal that hugely benefit other teams. Maybe he figures he's gotta balance the scam trades of injured players with just enough steals for other teams in order to keep them coming back.

:KW
"If i throw in that right fielder of ours and some young pitching, i'm sure somebody will take rowand off our hands too"

dougs78
11-15-2002, 12:04 PM
I completely agree with Dibber on this one. KW was not at all implying that he was trying to trade Rowand, he was simply saying that he would prefer not to play poker with all his cards showing. That is completely legit and in fact, I'm happy he tried to do that.
I am not exactly sure how this plays into what he is trying to do, since I haven't really heard about us being on the market for an outfielder. Perhaps hes looking for a CF just as insurance and didn't want to seem like he was desparate.

jeremyb1
11-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Instead, my interpretation of the quote, and, frankly, the only interpretation that seems reasonable to me, is that he wanted it kept quiet so that if he had the opportunity to pick up an outfielder, the other team wouldn't know of Rowand's injury. If the team on the other side of a trade knows Rowand is hurt and thinks the Sox are therefore more desperate for a replacement, the price for the replacement is likely to rise. Its a simple supply/demand kind of thing.

exactly.

CLR01
11-15-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm confused...(it won't be the first time!)

The newspaper and some fans here at WSI are saying that Rowand won't be able to play until April or May, yet the newspaper said the rehab is going to take three or four months.

Let's see, it's mid November. Three months means he'll be back in mid February. Four months in mid March.

Why shouldn't he play able to play from the start of the season?

Lip

Initial reports were that he would be out 6 months.

Chisoxfn
11-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Maybe I enterpretted this wrong, but I understand it to mean the Sox are looking at other people to play centerfield and are not convinced that Rowand will be their everyday centerfielder. That doesn't mean they will trade him.

I think KW felt that he wanted to keep the injury quiet so the teams so he had leverage in adding another centerfielder. IF everyone out their thinks Rowand isn't going to be available then they could ask more from KW.

Ya, I know I'm setting that last comment up for a ton of KW jokes.

RKMeibalane
11-15-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Ya, I know I'm setting that last comment up for a ton of KW jokes.

Indeed. Teams don't have to ask Ken Williams for anything. He is so stupid that they could probably just take players right out from under his nose.