PDA

View Full Version : new Hurt development?

Iguana775
11-14-2002, 05:00 PM
well, i havent heard this but i got it from the article about Walnuts extension...

Thomas and the White Sox have discussed a deal that would guarantee him about $20 million over four years and allow him to make more in bonuses.

anyone else hear this?? if this is true, i would be all for it.

here is the whole story... (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-021114soxkonerko,0,6804598.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2D headlines)

it is from chicagosports.com so you might not be able to see it if you dont have an account there.

jcw218
11-15-2002, 09:42 PM
I read the article about Konerco's contract extension. The only part of the article that talks about contract is as follows...

Magglio Ordonez will earn $10 million in '03 and $13 million in '04. The Sox have eight players signed for 2003 at a combined $36 million, which rises to nine players at $46 million if Thomas returns. Though about half of Thomas' $10 million salary will be deferred, it still will be listed as $9,927,000 on the Sox's payroll. Several key players, including Buehrle, Rowand, Jon Garland and D'Angelo Jimenez, are not yet arbitration-eligible, meaning the Sox can renew their salaries in 2003 if the two sides don't come to an agreement in spring.

The Sox's next signing target is Buehrle. Sox sources say Buehrle has a standing multiyear offer on the table and negotiations will heat up when he returns next week from playing in Japan. Trainer Herm Schneider said Buehrle's left shoulder is OK after being hit by a line drive last Monday by Hideki "Godzilla" Matsui in an exhibition series.

Buehrle may be more difficult to sign than Konerko. He's not eligible for arbitration and was upset last March after the Sox lopped $15,000 off their final contract offer when he wouldn't sign, renewing him at $310,000.

Buehrle would like a deal on a par with the one Cleveland gave C.C. Sabathia last spring, a four-year contract for a guaranteed $9.5 million, with potential earnings of up to $20 million. Buehrle's numbers compare favorably to Sabathia's, though Cleveland had the attendance base to justify the expenditure, a luxury the Sox don't have right now. ...

Where does it say that Frank will get 20 Mil guarenteed with the potential for more via bonuses.

bc2k
11-15-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by jcw218
Buehrle would like a deal on a par with the one Cleveland gave C.C. Sabathia last spring, a four-year contract for a guaranteed $9.5 million, with potential earnings of up to $20 million. Buehrle's numbers compare favorably to Sabathia's, though Cleveland had the attendance base to justify the expenditure, a luxury the Sox don't have right now. ...

The way I see it, locking up Buehrle for four years at $9.5 mil is a no brainer. And if he continues to be successful, he would be worth 20 million over four years. If he makes all his incentives each year, he would earn 5 million per year. That sounds like a good deal for the Sox. Or they can lowball him, save a few million, and anger him to where he'll leave for St. Louis.

Reading past threads about Moyer possibly commanding $7 million per year only makes it clearer to lock up Buehrle at $5 million for the next four years. Why would the Sox not agree with this?

I haven't been the biggest Frank Thomas supporter but I would love to have him back at the above mentioned contract. If he agreed to that contract, he would be sending a strong message to us Sox fans, especially his doubters.

jcw218
11-15-2002, 11:00 PM
I agree that Buehrle deserves a heafty pay raise this season. Lets lock him up for 4 years for $25 million (6.25 mil a year) with the opportunity to earn yearly raises.

From what I've heard and read about Thomas' contract, he is now guarenteed 40 mil over the next 4 years portions of it being deffered. I know for fact that if he were to be traded or the team was sold, the remaining portion of the contract became immediately guarenteed. I do not know if that is true of the "diminished skills clause" as well.

voodoochile
11-15-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by jcw218
I agree that Buehrle deserves a heafty pay raise this season. Lets lock him up for 4 years for $25 million (6.25 mil a year) with the opportunity to earn yearly raises.

From what I've heard and read about Thomas' contract, he is now guarenteed 40 mil over the next 4 years portions of it being deffered. I know for fact that if he were to be traded or the team was sold, the remaining portion of the contract became immediately guarenteed. I do not know if that is true of the "diminished skills clause" as well.

If the team is sold or he is traded, none of the money gets deferred. It all gets payed up front.

I haven't been the biggest Frank Thomas supporter but I would love to have him back at the above mentioned contract. If he agreed to that contract, he would be sending a strong message to us Sox fans, especially his doubters.

Why does Frank need to give back money to send a message to the fans? I still don't understand the premise.

The greatest hitter in team comes back from a major injury that by all accounts takes 2 years to fully recover from and puts up good numbers that were not on par with his past years, but showed signs of returning to form late in the year - so now he has to take a major pay cut and return guaranteed money to prove something? Makes no sense to me, but hey, I want Frank back at any price.

You know for all our bitching about Frank signing the contract and having to live with it, JR signed the contract to. Why should Frank be forced to bail out JR? In the end, who can afford it more?

Daver
11-15-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

You know for all our bitching about Frank signing the contract and having to live with it, JR signed the contract to. Why should Frank be forced to bail out JR? In the end, who can afford it more?

JR told Frank not to sign the contract,as written,and Frank's agent at the time told him to sign it,so who is to blame?

jcw218
11-15-2002, 11:27 PM
I want Frank to return as well. Lets see where things stand on Dec 7. Frank should not be forced to give anything back to bail out JR. Now, if Frank was asked to restructure his contract to free more money to extend current contracts (Buehrle) and/or obtain quality pitching help (Maddux sp??), I think by him doing so, it shows a willingness on both parties to do what is best for the team.

Kilroy
11-15-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by daver
JR told Frank not to sign the contract,as written,and Frank's agent at the time told him to sign it,so who is to blame?

I never heard that one. I heard about JR telling Pippen not to sign his deal, but not Thomas.

Regardless, Voodoo's question is a valid one. Why should Frank have to give back half of what he's due to send a message to the fans? If all goes well, Frank will send about 45 messages into the Comiskey park stands next summer, another 45 into the gaps and corners, and drive home about 150 messages, all while wearing Sox colors.