PDA

View Full Version : North Tells Listeners to Boycott Comiskey Park


Viva Magglio
11-14-2002, 05:02 PM
Why? Becuase Paul Konerko is not coming on HIS show.

North's an ass.

nut_stock
11-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Pardon me for asking, (I don't live in Chicago) but North is on the Score right, and not ESPN 1000....

Daver
11-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Pardon me for asking, (I don't live in Chicago) but North is on the Score right, and not ESPN 1000....

Correct.

WinningUgly!
11-15-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Why? Becuase Paul Konerko is not coming on HIS show.

North's an ass.

Good for Pauly! Screw Mike North, and any listener who could be weak-minded enough to be influenced into following North's boycott.

scottmt
11-15-2002, 02:47 AM
Did anyone honestly need this to confirm that North is an ass? Why he's on the radio is a mystery to me.

harwar
11-15-2002, 08:35 AM
I have yet to run into anyone that actually likes the guy.The guy is an obnoxious moron.I would love to see Julie Swieca get more air time.Shes' a Sox fan and not only does she love baseball(unlike north)she actually knows the game.

voodoochile
11-15-2002, 10:25 AM
Here's a suggestion: Turn the tables on him.

Tell every Sox fan that you know to boycott his show because he is trying to ruin the team and then do it. Stop listening to him. Stop giving him ratings. Stop giving his advertisers your business and write them to tell them why.

Me, I don't listen to he radio, but all of you are griping about him and yet still allowing him to use you as his audience.

If ever there was a job for the "Sox Army" this would be it. He is trying to hurt the team financially and this franchise cannot afford it. Teach him who has the real power...

Anyone got a list of the advertisers for his show?

duke of dorwood
11-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Well that station paying that hot dog vendor 1.5 million was worse than us giving the Choice 4 mil a year. For years I have refused to tune in ANYTHING he is on. Know what? I havent missed anything. Just turn this JAG--off.

OneDog
11-15-2002, 11:23 AM
I hate to say it, but look at Comiskey's attendance. It looks like people have been boycotting because of Jerry for years. North just wants to take credit for it.

Foulke You
11-15-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Here's a suggestion: Turn the tables on him.

Tell every Sox fan that you know to boycott his show because he is trying to ruin the team and then do it. Stop listening to him. Stop giving him ratings. Stop giving his advertisers your business and write them to tell them why.

Me, I don't listen to he radio, but all of you are griping about him and yet still allowing him to use you as his audience.

If ever there was a job for the "Sox Army" this would be it. He is trying to hurt the team financially and this franchise cannot afford it. Teach him who has the real power...

Anyone got a list of the advertisers for his show?

If you click on "Friends of the Program" on the AM670 website you will see a list of advertisers for the station. I don't know if they specifically list who advertises on which show though. I imagine they buy up spots for all the shows.

No-Neck
11-15-2002, 12:12 PM
Can anyone post the website address for the score so we can e-mail our disgust with the hyperass Mike North? I can no longer stand the idiot, he's been taken off of CLTV on Sunday nights.

Hitting a radio station with a lot of negative e-mails will wake up the management at the Score more than just ranting on this site. Does North still own the score? I think he was its original owner.

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl
11-15-2002, 12:43 PM
http://www.wscr670am.com

No-Neck
11-15-2002, 01:05 PM
Cheryl, this just sent:

How fitting that Chicago's Sports
Station is now calling for a boycott of Comiskey Park because Paul Konerko wasn't able to make one of your shows.

In keeping with the Chicago "Tradition" of promoting losing semi-pro teams like the Bears and Cubs, the only team with even a remote possibility of having respectable seasons, the White Sox, is denigrated on a daily basis. Yesterday, 11-4-02, the morning starts with your dillusional Cub lapdog boldly claiming "the White Sox are going to be contracted"
followed the next day by calling for a boycott of Comiskey Park for a pretty lame reason.

The Score proudly keeps the "Tradition" of Chicagoland alive by promoting only total losers like the Bears and Scrubs. Are you guys a bunch of WGN wannabees or what? I have a better idea, no more listening to the Score for me, a six year listener.

You guys at the Score can keep the "Tradition" alive without me

Cheryl
11-15-2002, 03:44 PM
I've never once listened to this guy. I wouldn't know who he is except for the complaints about him here. Maybe I should write and tell him that.

WinningUgly!
11-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Just sent this...

Just passing this along to anyone at WSCR who still gives a damn.

I've been an everyday Score listener since your days at AM 820, but I can no longer stomach your station for one reason...Mike
North. I am now an ESPN radio guy, thanks to Mike North's little "Boycott Comiskey campaign" because of Pauly Koneko not
being on his show. Terry Boers & Dan Bernstein are the only people still on the station that are worth listening to, but I refuse to even do that as long as North runs things there. My guess is that Terry Boers will be over at AM 1000 as soon as he's able to be & I'll have to wait until then. I am also contacting every WSCR sponsor & passing along my disgust with Mr. North.

Another former listener,
Jim Lowe

No-Neck
11-15-2002, 04:05 PM
Godd job Winning ugly. I'm personally fed up with everyone in this Town just slamming the White Sox at will because it's the PC thing to do.

It's gotten to the point where 90% of the press the Sox get is negative. Pissonem.

Jjav829
11-15-2002, 04:31 PM
First off the Score couldn't care less what you think. As long as the ratings are there, it doesn't matter. A station doesn't fire someone because they get email complaints. They read your complaint, and throw them out. They don't care. You could write 1000 letters and it wouldn't make a difference. If you want them to get the message, turn the dial! That's the reason North stays on. Regardless of how many people like him, people listen to him! That's all that matters in the business. You draw listeners. However you draw the listeners, just make sure you draw them. North pisses people off, but they'll still tune in everyday to listen to him and get mad at what he says.

As far as his sponsors, for places like Basta Pasta, and all the places in Edison Park that North advertises for, that's the best advertising they will get. Plus they get free advertising everytime that North talks about his "world tours" he's constantly mentioning Gibson's and Basta Pasta and Tony's Italian Deli, etc.

Sorry, but it's the truth. Unless the ratings drop significantly, or North says something that is extremely outrageous, he won't be leaving anytime soon.

voodoochile
11-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
First off the Score couldn't care less what you think. As long as the ratings are there, it doesn't matter. A station doesn't fire someone because they get email complaints. They read your complaint, and throw them out. They don't care. You could write 1000 letters and it wouldn't make a difference. If you want them to get the message, turn the dial! That's the reason North stays on. Regardless of how many people like him, people listen to him! That's all that matters in the business. You draw listeners. However you draw the listeners, just make sure you draw them. North pisses people off, but they'll still tune in everyday to listen to him and get mad at what he says.

As far as his sponsors, for places like Basta Pasta, and all the places in Edison Park that North advertises for, that's the best advertising they will get. Plus they get free advertising everytime that North talks about his "world tours" he's constantly mentioning Gibson's and Basta Pasta and Tony's Italian Deli, etc.

Sorry, but it's the truth. Unless the ratings drop significantly, or North says something that is extremely outrageous, he won't be leaving anytime soon.

I agree, but it never hurts to tell a station WHY you are turning them off. They get enough complaints AND the ratings drop, they just might put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4.

Of course if North still owns the station, this is all moot...

Wonder if the Sox and WSCR share any advertisers? Now that might make an impact if the Sox tell the advertisers to stop spending money on WSCR ads...

RedPinStripes
11-15-2002, 05:12 PM
North is an idiot. He sucked alone and now he's ruining Bufone. Doug is a good football guy and North cant even comprehend what bufone is talking about half the time. I listen to Bores and Bernzy, and after that, i cant wait till 3:00 to turn espn on for the ride home. I dont even bother listening or writing them. I just dont listen to north. And my new screen name I'll be using soon is a shot at him. not a tribute. :D: . A few of you already know it.

IronFisk
11-15-2002, 06:08 PM
north is a knob...nuff said!



:cleo
Suddap...Lofton made it to the World Series, so technically I'm right! Pay up!

Jjav829
11-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I agree, but it never hurts to tell a station WHY you are turning them off. They get enough complaints AND the ratings drop, they just might put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4.

Of course if North still owns the station, this is all moot...

Wonder if the Sox and WSCR share any advertisers? Now that might make an impact if the Sox tell the advertisers to stop spending money on WSCR ads...

Sure it doesn't hurt to tell them why you are tuning out. Im just saying don't expect anything to happen.

Thats a good point about the Sox and WSCR sharing sponsors. I can't think of any offhand, but if there are any, that could hurt WSCR.

Jerry_Manuel
11-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by No-Neck
I can no longer stand the idiot, he's been taken off of CLTV on Sunday nights.

No, he still has the show.

Jerry_Manuel
11-15-2002, 08:13 PM
I believe North said that Konerko wouldn't even come on the station.

RedPinStripes
11-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I believe North said that Konerko wouldn't even come on the station.

Can you blame him?

jortafan
11-15-2002, 09:44 PM
For those people with little else to do with their lives (myself included), Friday night's showing of Chicago Tonight (WTTW) was notable for Mike North's appearance. For those of you with lives who didn't see it (I hope that's most of you), North wanted to ramble on and on about the Cubs and Dusty Baker, and only begrudgingly even mentioned Konerko's contract. You'd think it didn't happen and that Paulie didn't exist. But it was funny to listen to North try to expand his views into political issues. He tried an attack on Gov.-elect Rod Blagojevich and his transition team appointments, only to have to be beaten down verbally by real political reporters who informed him his facts were so far off from reality. Why anybody listens to this guy is beyond me. I just don't get it.

Jjav829
11-16-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
No, he still has the show.

No, actually he doesn't. Steve Kashul and Lou Canellis will take over for him starting this Sunday night.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-16-2002, 02:02 PM
Forget about being an embarrassment to his radio station, Mike North is an embarrassment to the entire city of Chicago.

Anyone who regularly listens to him really needs to have their head examined.

Do the rest of us a favor, and waste your time watching the Blues Brothers movie instead. Believe me, you won't be missing a thing--except a lot of lame attempts at humor and base opinions. You'll be a lot better off for the switch, too.

soxtalker
11-16-2002, 03:47 PM
I'm not familiar with any issues regarding Konerko being or not being willing to come onto Mike North's show. However, I regularly tape the Chicago Week in Review show that jortafan mentioned. North did spend most of his segment talking about the Baker signing, but that was the big news of the day. (Actually, he came down pretty hard on the Cubs for paying too much for someone who wasn't being sought by any other team.) However, when asked about Konerko, he was very clear that he thought this was a good signing for the Sox and something that they should do.

Soxheads
11-16-2002, 03:51 PM
I'm glad I don't have to hear mindless drivel on the radio like that...oh, wait, I live in Iowa. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
11-16-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
No, actually he doesn't. Steve Kashul and Lou Canellis will take over for him starting this Sunday night.

Oh, I didn't hear that. I just saw him on there with Buffone last week.

Jjav829
11-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Oh, I didn't hear that. I just saw him on there with Buffone last week.

Yeah he was on last week. It was reported in the paper this week that he quit after 16 months of doing the show. Im assuming thats true.

Dan H
11-16-2002, 07:22 PM
I don't know why anyone posting on WSI would care one way or the the other what Mike North says about the Sox. Why bother getting your dander up about some jerk?

Truth is the whole station is worthless. Boers and Bernsie take pride in acting like idiots and then get pissed when they get idiot callers. Their show can only be described in one word: Bad.

Other than the Cub fan Murph who isn't all there, no one really prepares for their show. Besides, how can you spend 24 hours talking about how bad the Bears are?

I almost never listen to the station. They treat fans like garbage. I don't agree with many of the opinions posted on this board, but it is more entertaining than any day on the Score. That station appeals to the lowest common denominator. That is reflected in their low life ratings.

Daver
11-16-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I don't agree with many of the opinions posted on this board, but it is more entertaining than any day on the Score.

Your not supposed to agree with the opinions here,if we all agreed this place would be as boring as a day spent watching paint dry.

:)

Iwritecode
11-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I don't know why anyone posting on WSI would care one way or the the other what Mike North says about the Sox. Why bother getting your dander up about some jerk?

Because there are thousands of people out there that still listen to and believe what this idiot says. The fact of the matter is that the Sox need all the casual fans they can get. If they all listen to this idiot and thing that the Sox are bad and Comiskey is in a bad neighborhood etc... then that gives JR all the more reason not to spend any money to improve the team because not enough people are showing up to watch the games. Maybe if there were more media people actually talking about the good points of the Sox and the staduim instead of bowing down in front of the shrine that is Wrigley , we wouldn't worry so much. But as it stands, the Sox get almost zero good publicity from the media.

No-Neck
11-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Jerry Manual,

I think Mike North was fired from his Sunday evening show on CLTV last week, double check it, I could be mistaken, sorry, if that's the case, in advance. The Tribs on the cheap after signing God to manage the Flubs.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Iwritecode postulates:

If they all listen to this idiot and thing that the Sox are bad and Comiskey is in a bad neighborhood etc... then that gives JR all the more reason not to spend any money to improve the team

Iwritecode, with respect it's time you learned the facts of White Sox life.

Jerry Reinsdorf WILL NOT EVER spend large amounts of money on improving the team ever again. (He did in 81 through 83) It doesn't matter HOW many fans come out. The Sox could draw THREE MILLION and Uncle Jerry won't do a damn thing.

Why? Because it's against his very nature to spend money on player salaries when he absolutely, positively, abhors that very notion along with the idea of player agents.

Reinsdorf's history since the mid 80's confirms that time and time again. His part in "collusion" to hold down salaries and player movement, his anti player and union attitude during the 1994 impasse and strike. His insistance that he won't pay guaranteed long term (4 year) deals to pitchers WHEN THAT IS THE NORM in MLB.

So it's a waste of time to think anything will change depending on attendance. If it would, why hasn't Reinsdorf and the Sox issued a challenge to Sox fans to get it done?

When was the last time you heard Reinsdorf or the organization EVER state categorically "if 3 million come out, we'll spend X amount on payroll. If 2.5 million come out, we'll spend X amount" and so forth...

You've never heard that because then the Sox would have to ante up if it happened. The Sox deliberately keep the attendance issue nebulous because that way they can rile against their fan base without having to put up when the time comes.

So don't go native and go nuts over North, what he says or doesn't say concerning the Sox doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Nothing changes until Uncle Jerry is in his grave. (He's 66) Unfortunately all we can do is hope to outlive him.

Just my opinion.

Lip

Hangar18
11-19-2002, 01:27 PM
North does get a little too much on the
Cubwagon. At least hes not like that other
jackass in the morning Murphy...all he does
is complain, and moan and groan about whats
wrong with the Cubs (esp in 2000, instead
of talking about whats good w the Sox)
He leads the listeners on by suggesting "topics"
and like sheep with no opinions of their own,
callers call in and moan about the bullpen use
of Baylor, or the lack of Direction of "mcsweater vest".
If the Cubs happened to be off that nite, then
he Leads the listeners on such "what Ifs" by suggesting
trades and free agents to be, and of course, the
Sheep we call Cubs Fans call in and agree with him.
If they win....they talk about how they can get the
train in the right direction. When they lose (which is most
of the time) they Moan and Complain.
If those guys wouldve devoted that much
criticism Towards KWilliams/Reinsdorf/Manuel,
we wouldve seen all the changes/moves here too.
Ive emailed them to start giving equal time to the
Sox , but always Ignored.......so I stopped listening to
WSCR in the AM. Who Agrees With Me ?

Iwritecode
11-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jerry Reinsdorf WILL NOT EVER spend large amounts of money on improving the team ever again. (He did in 81 through 83) It doesn't matter HOW many fans come out. The Sox could draw THREE MILLION and Uncle Jerry won't do a damn thing.

Why? Because it's against his very nature to spend money on player salaries when he absolutely, positively, abhors that very notion along with the idea of player agents.

Maybe I'm just more of an optimist but I don't think this is necessarily true. JR has shown that he's willing to spend money but only after the attendance starts to rise. It's just the fact that he's been burned every time he does it. See Wells, David or Bell, Albert. Even Clayton and Ritchie to a lesser extent. I think it's making him a little trigger shy. I honestly believe that if Wells would have pitched in 2001 the way he did in 2000 or 2002 and the Sox would have produced a winning team JR would be much more willing to raise the payroll more.

Reinsdorf's history since the mid 80's confirms that time and time again. His part in "collusion" to hold down salaries and player movement, his anti player and union attitude during the 1994 impasse and strike. His insistance that he won't pay guaranteed long term (4 year) deals to pitchers WHEN THAT IS THE NORM in MLB.

I'm waiting to see what kind of deal they strike with Burly. If they lowball him again I'll be calling for JR's head.

So it's a waste of time to think anything will change depending on attendance. If it would, why hasn't Reinsdorf and the Sox issued a challenge to Sox fans to get it done?

When was the last time you heard Reinsdorf or the organization EVER state categorically "if 3 million come out, we'll spend X amount on payroll. If 2.5 million come out, we'll spend X amount" and so forth...

You've never heard that because then the Sox would have to ante up if it happened. The Sox deliberately keep the attendance issue nebulous because that way they can rile against their fan base without having to put up when the time comes.

I don't think that having them say they are going to spend X amount of money if X amount of people show up is going to do anything to increase the attendance. The only way to make the fans start showing up is to start winning. I don't mean once every couple of years either. JR needs to make the first move.

So don't go native and go nuts over North, what he says or doesn't say concerning the Sox doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Obviously if he's pulling in the ratings people are listening to him and probably believing everything he says. If he says the Sox are spawns of satan go to see the Cubs instead, that's exactly what most of them will do...

Nothing changes until Uncle Jerry is in his grave. (He's 66) Unfortunately all we can do is hope to outlive him.

I don't disagree that things won't be better once JR is gone. I've got a lot more time than he does. :cool:

Dan H
11-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
North does get a little too much on the
Cubwagon. At least hes not like that other
jackass in the morning Murphy...all he does
is complain, and moan and groan about whats
wrong with the Cubs (esp in 2000, instead
of talking about whats good w the Sox)
He leads the listeners on by suggesting "topics"
and like sheep with no opinions of their own,
callers call in and moan about the bullpen use
of Baylor, or the lack of Direction of "mcsweater vest".
If the Cubs happened to be off that nite, then
he Leads the listeners on such "what Ifs" by suggesting
trades and free agents to be, and of course, the
Sheep we call Cubs Fans call in and agree with him.
If they win....they talk about how they can get the
train in the right direction. When they lose (which is most
of the time) they Moan and Complain.
If those guys wouldve devoted that much
criticism Towards KWilliams/Reinsdorf/Manuel,
we wouldve seen all the changes/moves here too.
Ive emailed them to start giving equal time to the
Sox , but always Ignored.......so I stopped listening to
WSCR in the AM. Who Agrees With Me ?

I will agree that Murphy has little use for the Sox or their fans, and I stopped listening during the morning a long time ago. I do think the Sox get plenty of air time on other shows. But I don't have much use for the Score anymore because I really don't think they care how we fans feel about anything. I want intelligent talk on sports not someone just trying to get people mad by insulting them and then hoping for good ratings.

That is why I don't concern myself with what they say. Mike North can call for all the boycotts he wants, and I don't think it will matter one bit. The problems of the Sox run much deeper than what some big mouth says on the Score.

duke of dorwood
11-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I don't know why anyone posting on WSI would care one way or the the other what Mike North says about the Sox. Why bother getting your dander up about some jerk?

Truth is the whole station is worthless. Boers and Bernsie take pride in acting like idiots and then get pissed when they get idiot callers. Their show can only be described in one word: Bad.

Other than the Cub fan Murph who isn't all there, no one really prepares for their show. Besides, how can you spend 24 hours talking about how bad the Bears are?

I almost never listen to the station. They treat fans like garbage. I don't agree with many of the opinions posted on this board, but it is more entertaining than any day on the Score. That station appeals to the lowest common denominator. That is reflected in their low life ratings.

Dan H is my new hero.