PDA

View Full Version : Trade vs. FA

pudge
11-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Does it bug anyone that KW always seems to be focusing on trading for a starter rather than aquiring one in the FA market? Maybe it's because of cost, but the FA market is not what it once was. I have to believe quality arms can be had for a decent price. Why do we need to give up players for someone like Lidle or Lilly instead of signing a Moyer or Williams or Byrd? Would they really be that much more expenisve? Somebody enlighten me.

(Note, I'm not opposed to trading for an impact guy like Colon, I understand the value in that, just not in a mediocre player, ie, Todd freakin' Ritchie.)

Vsahajpal
11-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Does it bug anyone that KW always seems to be focusing on trading for a starter rather than aquiring one in the FA market? Maybe it's because of cost, but the FA market is not what it once was. I have to believe quality arms can be had for a decent price. Why do we need to give up players for someone like Lidle or Lilly instead of signing a Moyer or Williams or Byrd? Would they really be that much more expenisve? Somebody enlighten me.

(Note, I'm not opposed to trading for an impact guy like Colon, I understand the value in that, just not in a mediocre player, ie, Todd freakin' Ritchie.)

By trading, Kenny has the ability to dump some salary. He always has to keep an eye on the bottom line.

hold2dibber
11-14-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by pudge

My two cents:

There are no viable (for the Sox anyway) no. 1 or 2 starters on the market. The Sox desperately need another no. 1 or 2 starter. Thus, a trade (for someone like Colon or Vazquez) would make sense to me.

A trade for a "back of the rotation" guy like Lily or Lidle would be okay with me only if: (1) the Sox traded little of value (i.e., the other team was trying to dump salary and willing to trade for little return value) AND (2) the Sox had to move Wright, Garland, Rauch or Biddle to acquire a no. 1 or 2 guy and are now acquiring this second guy to fill that open slot (otherwise, I wouldn't want Lidle or Livian Hernandez, etc., taking starts away from Wright, Garland, et al.)

If the Sox can't pull of a trade for a true no. 1 or 2 starter, then I'd like to see them hit the FA market for someone like Moyer, Williams, Byrd or Omar Daal instead of dealing any of their young pitching. Then you let Garland, Wright, Parque, Ritchie, Biddle and Rauch battle for the last three rotation spots.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Pudge asks:

"Does it bug anyone that KW always seems to be focusing on trading for a starter rather than aquiring one in the FA market?"

I could give a smart assed answer to this but I won't.

The entire Sox philosophy under Jerry Reinsdorf since the mid 80's is summed up this way: "go out get your best offer and then come to us and we'll see if we agree to it..."

Reinsdorf has stated numerous times he won't get into bidding wars over players. That's why the Sox NEVER (or rarely) sign FA's

The trouble with that philosophy is that very few players have the hots to play for the Sox! Therefore nobody ever comes to Uncle Jerry with an offer. When other clubs make them contract offers they take it, and say "screw the Sox" (and with good reason)

Plus the Sox have had a ton of negative publicity, much of their own making, and you have players like Robin Ventura who were treated shabbily (i.e. White Flag Deal). That news gets around and STAYS in the minds of players around the league.

The Sox could overcome that stuff if they had a good organization and team (like from 1991 through 1994 when they were able to get guys like Ellis Burks, Julio Franco etc for below market value because they thought the Sox were a contender and wanted to play with guys like Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Fernandez, Guillen etc...) but they can't now.

Reinsdorf really hasn't been active in the FA market since the early 80's when he HAD to do it to establish some credibility with the fans. (i.e. signing Fisk, Bannister and picking up Luzinski on waivers.)

Lip

jcw218
11-15-2002, 10:05 PM
Go back and look at the strike of '94. It was Jerry who helped to cnovince the owners in the lock-out efforts to try and keep salary levels reasonable. What does he do when the strike is over? Goes out ond signs Belle to that 11 million a year for 5 year deal that broke the bank so to speak. And we cannot for get the fiasco that brought us Jamie.

JR has gotten burned and is now taking the ultra-conservative approach. He has the opinion of "Come and we will build it." It should be "build it and they will come"