PDA

View Full Version : Three-year deal for Konerko


the scorekeeper
11-14-2002, 02:35 PM
From an e-mail sent by my season ticket rep:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, November 14, 2002

WHITE SOX AGREE TO TERMS WITH PAUL KONERKO ON THREE-YEAR DEAL


CHICAGO : First baseman Paul Konerko and the Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a three-year contract through the 2005 season. The agreement, terms of which were not disclosed by the club, was announced this afternoon by Rick Hahn, White Sox assistant general manager. Konerko, who turns 27 on March 5, batted a career-high .304 (173-570) with 27 home runs and 104 RBI in 151 games for the White Sox in 2002. The All-Star finished second on the team in hits, doubles (30), slugging percentage (.498), total bases (284), average and RBI, and was third in home runs and runs scored (81).

"Paul is a key member of this team both on and off the field, and our focus has been on signing him to a multiyear contract," said Hahn. "He is one of the top hitters in the game, has been extremely consistent over the past four seasons, and is a major influence and leader in our clubhouse. Paul brings a very professional, intense approach to the ballpark each day, and we are pleased to have him under contract through 2005."

Konerko is a .291 (644-2,189) hitter with 104 home runs and 381 RBI in 592 games with the Sox after being acquired from Cincinnati for Mike Cameron on November 10, 1998. He is a lifetime .287 (692-2,413) batter with 111 home runs and 410 RBI in 673 career games with the Dodgers (1997-98), Cincinnati (1998) and the White Sox (1999-2002).

ozzman
11-14-2002, 03:21 PM
holy moly, could sox management finally have made a good move?

Iguana775
11-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
holy moly, could sox management finally have made a good move?

somehow it will become a bad move.... :angry:

cheeses_h_rice
11-14-2002, 03:34 PM
No mention of $ terms?

jeremyb1
11-14-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
holy moly, could sox management finally have made a good move?

definately good news. everyone likes to know that their team will extend players' contracts following a good performance.

ozzman
11-14-2002, 03:50 PM
sorry about that, here is a link to the source, its on chicagosports.com

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-021114soxkonerko,0,6804598.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2D headlines

hold2dibber
11-14-2002, 04:06 PM
ESPN reports that the deal is worth $23 million over the three years.

Konerko deal (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1114/1460813.html)

FanOf14
11-14-2002, 04:13 PM
holy crap that is a lot of money! I am a bit biased being FanOf14 and all, but I still have to ask, is he really worth that kind of dough?

voodoochile
11-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
holy crap that is a lot of money! I am a bit biased being FanOf14 and all, but I still have to ask, is he really worth that kind of dough?

In todays market? Absolutely...

FanOf14
11-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Cool. Just checking...those dollar amounts are hard for my cheap brain to get wrapped around...

DrCrawdad
11-14-2002, 06:01 PM
I'm waiting for Lip to find something negative about the signing of Konerko to a multi-year deal.

:o:

Iguana775
11-14-2002, 06:04 PM
that is actually a really good price considering the amount of money some average players make. i wouldnt be surpised if walnuts put up .315/40/130 within the next year or so. he just needs to learn to be consistent throughout the whole year.

maurice
11-14-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i wouldnt be surpised if walnuts put up .315/40/130 within the next year or so. he just needs to learn to be consistent throughout the whole year.

Right. He has the talent to put up big numbers but always has hot months and cold months. This year he had a case of JB: one hot half-season and one cold half-season. If he ever puts together a solid full season, .315/40/130 is well within his reach.

bc2k
11-14-2002, 06:33 PM
Great move by the Chicago White Sox organization. Great move by Paulie. Great news for every Sox fan. $7.6 million per year is less than I thought it would take to sign Mr. Konerko.

1 down, now let's go sign Buehrle.

Konerko stayed consistant while his team was in the division race, he was hot when his team needed him to be. And even when he wasn't putting up those huge first half numbers, he stayed consistant in the fact that he recognized his struggels and made quality outs. We can count on Konerko in the late innings with the tying run on second, and to hit well in the months when the Sox are still in a division race.

Jjav829
11-14-2002, 06:41 PM
Hey, the Sox actually made a good move! Wow. Smart move to lock him up. Hes definately worth it.

maurice
11-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Konerko stayed consistant while his team was in the division race, he was hot when his team needed him to be.

Or, stated differently, Konerko (along with the majority of the Sox lineup) began slipping at mid-season, knocking them out of contention in a very weak division. The Sox didn't start playing well again until KW finally made major roster changes late in the season. Billy Beane did the same thing in Oakland...except that he did it early enough that the A's were able to salvage their season.

That's the problem with KW: even when he does something right (cutting Choice and promoting Crede), he still manages to screw it up (by making the move way too late).

Daver
11-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Or, stated differently, Konerko (along with the majority of the Sox lineup) began slipping at mid-season, knocking them out of contention in a very weak division. The Sox didn't start playing well again until KW finally made major roster changes late in the season. Billy Beane did the same thing in Oakland...except that he did it early enough that the A's were able to salvage their season.

That's the problem with KW: even when he does something right (cutting Choice and promoting Crede), he still manages to screw it up (by making the move way too late).

The Crede move was delayed to make sure he will be eligible for the ROTY next season.

Foulke You
11-14-2002, 08:00 PM
He did have some drop off in production after the break but Paulie played through most of August and September with a sore ankle which had an adverse effect on his production.

Great move. I'm happy that we'll be seeing Paulie in a ChiSox uniform for at least 3 more years. We haven't seen the best from him either.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-14-2002, 08:06 PM
If Paulie didn't have hip displaysia, it would be the PERFECT move!

Ruff! Ruff!

:)

Jjav829
11-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Crede move was delayed to make sure he will be eligible for the ROTY next season.

Umm...are you sure? I thought that the ROTY requirement was less than 45 days on a major league roster, or less than 130 AB's, both of which Crede surpassed this year.

duke of dorwood
11-14-2002, 08:20 PM
I'm happy with this. Lets get Burly-man next.

Daver
11-14-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Umm...are you sure? I thought that the ROTY requirement was less than 45 days on a major league roster, or less than 130 AB's, both of which Crede surpassed this year.

This has come up before,but I beleive it is 90 games on the roster,but I never did check it out to be positive,so you may be right.

I based that post on a comment made by the update guy on ESPN radio to be honest.

jeremyb1
11-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by daver
This has come up before,but I beleive it is 90 games on the roster,but I never did check it out to be positive,so you may be right.

I based that post on a comment made by the update guy on ESPN radio to be honest.

i'm pretty sure elligibility for rookie of the year is at least partially determined by plate appearances and crede had far too many to be a rookie next year. i did check at one point though and rauch will be a rookie next year.

Daver
11-14-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'm pretty sure elligibility for rookie of the year is at least partially determined by plate appearances and crede had far too many to be a rookie next year. i did check at one point though and rauch will be a rookie next year.

They base it for innings pitched for pitchers,and the number of innings allowed is quite generous.

I guess I am guilty of trusting the guy at ESPN Radio to be correct,and it burned me,silly me,thinking a guy that works for the station that broadcasts the Sox games to know what he was talking about.

chisox06
11-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Thats great news! Paulie is one of the key factors to the White Sox offense (obviously). He has the potential to only get better. Wasn't maggs looking for a new contract too?

Daver
11-14-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Thats great news! Paulie is one of the key factors to the White Sox offense (obviously). He has the potential to only get better. Wasn't maggs looking for a new contract too?

Magglio Ordonez signed an extension last season here are the numbers;

2002: $6.5M
2003: $9.0M
2004: $14.0M

chisox06
11-14-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by daver
Magglio Ordonez signed an extension last season here are the numbers;

2002: $6.5M
2003: $9.0M
2004: $14.0M

Thanx Daver

NewyorkSoxFan
11-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Great Move,

Congrats Pauly, now don't blow it. :)

NYSF

Lip Man 1
11-14-2002, 11:10 PM
Great move on the part of the Sox...except..... (you KNEW this was coming didn't you??)

Dr. Crawdad says:

"I'm waiting for Lip to find something negative about the signing of Konerko to a multi-year deal."

OK...here it is. Despite all the hoopla over this, Konerko can STILL become a free agent after the 2004 season. Why is that such a big deal? Because in his original deal he could become a free agent after the 2003 season.

Meaning all the Sox did was postpone his potential free agency ONE YEAR AND it's the SAME year that Ordonez can become a free agent.

So if the Sox get off to a slow start in 2004 look for the media to start speculating where both Konerko and Ordonez are going to be traded to in July.

If the Sox really wanted to make a statement, the deal would have been for four or five years!

Outside of that I'm happy with what happened but they could have done better for the fans with this. Obviously the Sox are still driven by nothing but being "fiscally responsible..."

Lip

DrCrawdad
11-14-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Great move on the part of the Sox...except..... (you KNEW this was coming didn't you??)

Dr. Crawdad says:

"I'm waiting for Lip to find something negative about the signing of Konerko to a multi-year deal."

OK...here it is. Despite all the hoopla over this, Konerko can STILL become a free agent after the 2004 season. Why is that such a big deal? Because in his original deal he could become a free agent after the 2003 season.

Meaning all the Sox did was postpone his potential free agency ONE YEAR AND it's the SAME year that Ordonez can become a free agent.

So if the Sox get off to a slow start in 2004 look for the media to start speculating where both Konerko and Ordonez are going to be traded to in July.

If the Sox really wanted to make a statement, the deal would have been for four or five years!

Outside of that I'm happy with what happened but they could have done better for the fans with this. Obviously the Sox are still driven by nothing but being "fiscally responsible..."

Lip

You go guy!

I just knew that you'd turn a positive into a negative. I enjoy reading your opinions though.

I'm not out to stifle you. I've seen it over and over on that other Chicago team's forums that when someone is less than a happy talker then that fan gets attacked. Jez, at the end of the season fans turned on one other fan because he pointed out how bad they were last year. 28 games under .500, I think it's within reason to say that you inhaled.

On the other hand Sox fans, in general, are skeptical and I love that about Sox fans. Although Lip you take it further than most.

Lip Man 1
11-15-2002, 12:29 AM
Doctor:

No problem. I just like to point out all sides of things. In that respect I'm like Phil Rogers of the tribune who told me he liked to project things down the road to see if they'll all fit and with this organization more often then not they don't. (The won / lost record since 1997 proves that!)

Lip

-

Lip Man 1
11-15-2002, 01:56 AM
There seems to be some disagreement on the terms of Konerko's contract extension.

Dan Rohn on the WGN News said it was three years through 2004. Paul Sullivan is reporting it's through 2005.

If Sullivan is correct then I have to remove my objections in a previous post. 2005 would make more sense, but if Rohn is right then my objections stand.

Lip

MisterB
11-15-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Umm...are you sure? I thought that the ROTY requirement was less than 45 days on a major league roster, or less than 130 AB's, both of which Crede surpassed this year.

per Baseball-Almanac.com (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/) :

Eligibility requirements were set forth in 1971 and a rookie was formally defined as a player with less than 130 at-bats, a pitcher with less than 50 innings pitched, or anyone with less than 45 days on any Major League roster.

harwar
11-15-2002, 08:31 AM
I can't say how nice it is to hear some positive news concerning the Sox.I can't wait for the winter meetings to start.I mean everything went bad last year.This year,by the law of averages,it has to turn around,right?

Iwritecode
11-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
There seems to be some disagreement on the terms of Konerko's contract extension.

Dan Rohn on the WGN News said it was three years through 2004. Paul Sullivan is reporting it's through 2005.

If Sullivan is correct then I have to remove my objections in a previous post. 2005 would make more sense, but if Rohn is right then my objections stand.

Lip

How in the world could a 3-year deal only last through 2004? Someone's math was off on that one. Anyway...

From ESPN:
Konerko will get $6.25 million in 2003, $8 million in 2004 and $8.75 million in 2005. His salary would increase by $500,000 in each of the final two years if he's traded.

RichH55
11-15-2002, 11:19 PM
KW has actually been pretty good at the extentions/actual money of contracts....granted when you trade for Royce, etc that tends to get overlooked, but no doubt signing Paulie is a good move