PDA

View Full Version : "Godzilla" not headed to New York after all?

doublem23
11-14-2002, 03:16 PM
I don't know one way or the other, but according to Hideki Matsui, he hasn't heard from the Yankees yet; nor is he expecting them any time soon.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021114/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_yankees_matsui_4

Iwritecode
11-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I don't know one way or the other, but according to Hideki Matsui, he hasn't heard from the Yankees yet; nor is he expecting them any time soon.

Replace "Yankees" with "White Sox" and it's still a true statement...

:whiner:

hold2dibber
11-14-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021114/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_yankees_matsui_4

Rumor has it that the Yankees are trying to trim some payroll and are trying, in particular, to unload Mondesi and Rondell White (good luck). My guess is that they're waiting to sign Matsui until they have some success in unloading one of these overpaid outfielders. But he'll end up a Yankee, there's no doubt in my mind.

Jjav829
11-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Hes lying about the Yankees not contacting him because he really wants the White Sox to offer him a contract so he can come play for an organization thats committed to winning, unlike those Yankees.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Brian Cashman and other Yankee executives left Los Angeles today to go to Japan, that was mentioned during the news story that the Yanks had picked up the option on Andy Pettitte.

Cashman and company are going over to seal a business deal with the Tokyo Giants that will make the two partners. Giant games will be shown on the YES Network while Yankee games will be shown in Japan. Those Yankee games will draw a LOT more viewers in japan if Matsui is in pinstripes.

Let's put it this way, they aren't going over there just to sample the saki.

The Yanks will sign him for two years, 24 million.

The only reason Steinbrenner allowed Giambi and Bernie Williams to go over there on the All Star tour is so that they can start recruiting Matsui. ESPN reported two days ago that already started happening so Matsui is being less then honest in his statement. (Perhaps his agent is trying to get some other team involved in the bidding to drive the price for him up.)

Lip

Dadawg_77
11-14-2002, 11:41 PM
This guy or his people already know the game. He claims the yankees haven't talk to him in order to get other teams to talk to him. How many teams would just think the Yankees want him so there is no use trying, thus they don't even make an offer. This would lower the demand thus the price which he could get for his services.