PDA

View Full Version : Damian Miller to sCrUBS

WinningUgly!
11-13-2002, 03:59 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, nice pick up. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1113/1460396.html)

hold2dibber
11-13-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
As much as I hate to admit it, nice pick up. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1113/1460396.html)

Sounds like a good deal for the Cubs; I'd be interested in Vic's take. Sounds to me like a salary dump by the D'Backs.

duke of dorwood
11-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Scrubs seem to seek out salary dumps and cash in-like Matt Clement for nothing.

duke of dorwood
11-13-2002, 04:14 PM
And we had more to give than the Flubs gave up.

voodoochile
11-13-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Scrubs seem to seek out salary dumps and cash in-like Matt Clement for nothing.

That is because they have consistently outspent the Sox the last several years and are not afraid to take on more salary. Meanwhile, the Sox seek inexpensive good players whom they will trade a ton for. For once I would like to see the Sox go after someone being dumped for salary reasons instead of being the team dumping players for salary reasons...

Vsahajpal
11-13-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Sounds like a good deal for the Cubs; I'd be interested in Vic's take. Sounds to me like a salary dump by the D'Backs.

I think the thread should be entitled "Miller to the Cubs for Scrubs."

Gary Johnson and David Noyce? That's a decent trade.

Miller is 33 and had a bad 2nd half last year, but he's a very good receiver who has worked with the game's top pitchers in the past few seasons. He should bring a lot to the table in that regard.

I think Hendry feels he's got a pretty good chance of dumping Hundley somewhere, and Girardi's gone too I'd imagine. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hendry make a run at Montreal's Michael Barrett.

MarkEdward
11-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Nice acquisition for the Cubs. Noyce and Johnson seem like nothing, and Miller is a good hitting catcher in a league where there are few hitting catchers.

As for Arizona, this is a straight salary dump. Unless they are planning on going after Rodriguez, they're faced with Barajas and Chad Moeller for next year. That's Josh Paul-bad.

Jjav829
11-13-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Nice acquisition for the Cubs. Noyce and Johnson seem like nothing, and Miller is a good hitting catcher in a league where there are few hitting catchers.

As for Arizona, this is a straight salary dump. Unless they are planning on going after Rodriguez, they're faced with Barajas and Chad Moeller for next year. That's Josh Paul-bad.

Well, the Dbacks like their depth at catcher.

Good move by the Cubs though. They picked up a solid catcher, are probably going to dump Hundley, will most likely sign Dusty Baker, and seem like they might make a big splash in the FA market (Jeff Kent possibly). It's looks like their offseason will be a lot better then the Sox.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Let's see...the Cubs pick up Miller and are about to sign Baker BEFORE raising ticket prices...

The Sox dump on Thomas, THEN raise ticket prices without doing a damn thing to improve the team...

Any wonder the Sox play second fiddle in Chicago? God I am sick of our incompetent organization and their dedication to being "fiscally responsible."

Lip

Lip Man 1
11-13-2002, 07:25 PM
of course this now guarantees Joe Girardi is available! (as well as Chad Kreuter whom the Dodgers let go...)

ANYBODY but that boob, Josh Paul.

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
11-13-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
of course this now guarantees Joe Girardi is available! (as well as Chad Kreuter whom the Dodgers let go...)

ANYBODY but that boob, Josh Paul.

Lip

Girardi will end up back in the Bronx.

RichH55
11-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Girardi will end up back in the Bronx.

Sounds about right....Krueter sounds like our option

RichH55
11-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well, the Dbacks like their depth at catcher.

Good move by the Cubs though. They picked up a solid catcher, are probably going to dump Hundley, will most likely sign Dusty Baker, and seem like they might make a big splash in the FA market (Jeff Kent possibly). It's looks like their offseason will be a lot better then the Sox.

Watch out when the Cubs make a "big splash" the last two were trades for Mcgriff and the signing of Alou...and hell even the signing of Hundley was big at the time

Jjav829
11-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Watch out when the Cubs make a "big splash" the last two were trades for Mcgriff and the signing of Alou...and hell even the signing of Hundley was big at the time

Well, maybe they considered them to be big signings at the time, but I thought all three were bad moves at the times, and they all were. But this year, unfortunately, I think they might make a big signing that is actually good.

Tragg
11-13-2002, 11:12 PM
The Sox have their own Damien Miller - his name is Mark Johnson. Lord another no-hit catcher - this one is 33 and costs a buck or two. As for catching johnson and schilling - uh, how hard can that be???

Daver
11-13-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
The Sox have their own Damien Miller - his name is Mark Johnson. Lord another no-hit catcher - this one is 33 and costs a buck or two. As for catching johnson and schilling - uh, how hard can that be???

Have you ever played that position on a competitive team?

Lip Man 1
11-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Rich says:

"Watch out when the Cubs make a "big splash" the last two were trades for Mcgriff and the signing of Alou...and hell even the signing of Hundley was big at the time"

I agree they didn't work out on the field, of course McGriff at least put up decent numbers, but my point is those moves generated a ton of publicity!

With the Sox struggling to draw flies, a little of that PR wouldn't hurt one damn bit.

You've got to give Sox fans SOME reason to dream the impossible. By doing nothing, or next to nothing, you don't give them one reason to come out, spend money and come back.

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
11-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Lip, you should use the http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/quote.gif button, makes things alot easier.

Vsahajpal
11-13-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

The deal for McGriff was ridiculously good, the Cubs gave up Manny Aybar and Jason Smith to take on McGriff's salary, which wasn't that bad. Surprisingly, his OPS was narrowly better than Konerko's this year.

Problem was the bullpen, they collapsed the 2nd half in 2001, and forgot to show up this past year.

Alou hasn't worked out, yet; looking at his 3 year splits prior to coming to Chicago, I couldn't complain about acquiring him. He rebounded a bit the 2nd half, and he is one of the few low K/high BB guys on the Cubs. His contract is worrisome.

Hundley's struggled, but has been league average at C. His salary, however, merits more than average. I wanted CJ...he's absolutely sucked.

Miller's a decent, not great, pickup. I like Jim Hendry a lot, and making this move buys him time. Worst case, he can't dump Hundley, and Miller/Hundley platoon (much better than Girardi/Hundley). Best case, Hendry can dump Hundley, sign I-rod, and either tender/non-tender Miller (kind of like Boston did with Pokey Reese last year).

MarkEdward
11-13-2002, 11:34 PM

Are we talking about the same Damian Miller. The player that has posted an average OPS of .775 for the past five years?

FarWestChicago
11-13-2002, 11:45 PM
Lip, you should use the http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/quote.gif button, makes things alot easier. Jerry had a good point here. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
11-13-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Jerry had a good point here. :smile:

Might want to print this thread, doesn't happen often.

FarWestChicago
11-14-2002, 12:09 AM
Might want to print this thread, doesn't happen often. LOL!!!! Funny, but not true. :D:

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
LOL!!!! Funny, but not true. :D:

Took me three reads to catch the "not" part. :smile:

FarWestChicago
11-14-2002, 12:29 AM
Took me three reads to catch the "not" part. :smile: I'm glad you caught it. :smile:

bc2k
11-14-2002, 12:41 AM
McPhail is a fruit. I've been following the Cubs all offseason and McPhail just doesn't want to give up the perks of playing General Manager. He had to tag along with Hendry (who's been on the job a while now) to all the Baker negotiations and out to dinner with Baker and his agent.
Back when McPhail seized control of the GM position he said he wouldn't leave the GM spot until he leaves the Cubs in a better position than when he took over control. Hiring a GM ASAP would have been the professional way to handle the situation, but he wanted to play GM.
McPhail is sticking his nose where it doesn't belong just because he wants to fulfill his dream of play-time. And if Hendry fails, you know who will take the blame - Hendry of course. And McPhail will go back to soaking up the attention he craves and dining with baseball greats for free. McPhail is a loser and a fruit.

WinningUgly!
11-14-2002, 01:52 AM
Jer says:
"Lip, you should use the http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/quote.gif button, makes things alot easier."

Nah, I like the "Rich says:" thing...it cracked me up. I might start doing that. :D:

RichH55
11-14-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rich says:

"Watch out when the Cubs make a "big splash" the last two were trades for Mcgriff and the signing of Alou...and hell even the signing of Hundley was big at the time"

I agree they didn't work out on the field, of course McGriff at least put up decent numbers, but my point is those moves generated a ton of publicity!

With the Sox struggling to draw flies, a little of that PR wouldn't hurt one damn bit.

You've got to give Sox fans SOME reason to dream the impossible. By doing nothing, or next to nothing, you don't give them one reason to come out, spend money and come back.

Lip

I'll take a smart baseball move over a smart PR move any day.....we aren't the Indianapolis Ice signing Manute Bol here

Twins8791
11-14-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
McPhail is a loser and a fruit.

Not so much in '87, when his team won the World Series. I'm not aware of his sexual preference.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Rich55 says:

"I'll take a smart baseball move over a smart PR move any day.....we aren't the Indianapolis Ice signing Manute Bol here."

and THAT's the problem Rich, the Sox don't make ANY smart baseball ones or smart PR ones!

That's why this franchise is in the shape it's in. At least do SOMETHING right.

Lip

duke of dorwood
11-14-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
[. McPhail is a loser and a fruit. [/B]

In that order?

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Jer says:
"Lip, you should use the http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/quote.gif button, makes things alot easier."

Nah, I like the "Rich says:" thing...it cracked me up. I might start doing that. :D:

I'm all for it, Winning.

Tragg
11-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by daver
Have you ever played that position on a competitive team?

Professioally? No I haven't. Have you? Is playing a position the qualification that one should have before posting about something? I'll keep that in mind.

Daver
11-14-2002, 11:05 PM
Professioally? No I haven't. Have you? Is playing a position the qualification that one should have before posting about something? I'll keep that in mind.

I was referring to your comment on how hard it is to catch,you mentioned Johnson and Schilling as the pitchers,but that is beside the point,catcher is the toughest position on the feild,no matter who the pitcher is.

Tragg
11-17-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by daver
I was referring to your comment on how hard it is to catch,you mentioned Johnson and Schilling as the pitchers,but that is beside the point,catcher is the toughest position on the feild,no matter who the pitcher is.

I don't argue with that. My point was that imo it is harder to catch todd ritchie than to catch for 2 hall of fame pitchers.