PDA

View Full Version : Age requirement for bat boys

Paulwny
11-12-2002, 06:18 AM
Alderson said the age will be determined after talking with GMs about what requirements individual teams have, looking at state laws and insurance issues.

There is already a directive limiting teams to two bat boys, a rule the Giants violated during the postseason. Sons of Barry Bonds and Shawon Dunston were among those who also served as bat boys.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam021111/mlb_meet-ap.html

rmusacch
11-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Alderson said the age will be determined after talking with GMs about what requirements individual teams have, looking at state laws and insurance issues.

There is already a directive limiting teams to two bat boys, a rule the Giants violated during the postseason. Sons of Barry Bonds and Shawon Dunston were among those who also served as bat boys.

Apparently Bonds' son was a regular batboy during the season.

RichH55
11-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

If they put any new rules on batboy ages(instead of just finding old rules they weren't obeying) then wouldn't little Baker be grandfathered in?

voodoochile
11-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
If they put any new rules on batboy ages(instead of just finding old rules they weren't obeying) then wouldn't little Baker be grandfathered in?

I wouldn't think so. That would defeat the purpose. It isn't like he will never be a bat boy again, either, just has to wait a coupld of years. Personally I was rooting for them allowing him to continue. It would give the Wrigley lemmings one more thing that isn't baseball to root for.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Darren Baker running around in blue pinstripes is one reason that Flubbies management wants Baker so badly...

RichH55
11-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I wouldn't think so. That would defeat the purpose. It isn't like he will never be a bat boy again, either, just has to wait a coupld of years. Personally I was rooting for them allowing him to continue. It would give the Wrigley lemmings one more thing that isn't baseball to root for.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Darren Baker running around in blue pinstripes is one reason that Flubbies management wants Baker so badly...

Although it would defeat the purpose I would still think Darren would be grandfathered in....how a 3 year can be used in conjunction with the term grandfathered is beyond me, but that would seem to be the case, unless they uncover some IL law that frowns upon this, or problems within the ballclub's insurance

bc2k
11-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
how a 3 year can be used in conjunction with the term grandfathered is beyond me,

Hilarious

ScottyTheSoxFan
11-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

actually i hear KW is going to get little baker to play center and hit leadoff next season.