PDA

View Full Version : Should Sox go after Pudge Rodriguez

chisox06
11-11-2002, 10:07 PM
I couldnt think of a better match for the sox makeup. A great veteran catcher, that can give the young pitches a good foundation. A great bat and he seems like a pretty personable guy to. I have nothing against Mark Johnson but it just doesnt seem that he has it right now to be a good everyday catcher. But of course, ticket prices get bigger and the payroll gets smaller, so I wouldnt count on it.

(By the way I'm new to the forum, looking forward to talking with you all)

Daver
11-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
I couldnt think of a better match for the sox makeup. A great veteran catcher, that can give the young pitches a good foundation. A great bat and he seems like a pretty personable guy to. I have nothing against Mark Johnson but it just doesnt seem that he has it right now to be a good everyday catcher. But of course, ticket prices get bigger and the payroll gets smaller, so I wouldnt count on it.

(By the way I'm new to the forum, looking forward to talking with you all)

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

There is only one pudge,he is a scout for the Red Sox right now......

Lip Man 1
11-11-2002, 10:59 PM
He'd be great for the Sox except for one small detail....he wants to be paid BIG dollars. According to The Sporting News he's seeking a deal worth over 15 million per season.

Even if he was completely healthy, that's far more then the Sox will ever pay anybody as long as Reinsdorf owns the team. Of course anything over 2 million a year gets you traded OFF the Sox!

LOL

Lip

guillen4life13
11-11-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

There is only one pudge,he is a scout for the Red Sox right now......

meanwhile he really should be crouching behind home plate at new comiskey park during the summer because he'd be better than the guys they have in there now, even if he is in his 50's (isn't he?)

just messin'.

welcome home chisox06

kermittheefrog
11-11-2002, 11:16 PM
As nice as it would be to have Rodriguez's talent on our team I doubt he'd be worth the money because he has trouble staying off the DL. Plus he's getting old for a catcher. There's a lot to be worried about other than his great play and a reason Texas hasn't already resigned him.

duke of dorwood
11-11-2002, 11:24 PM
He's caught a lot of games in very hot weather too. There is more wear on him than one might think. He'd be nice for a couple years while Olivo develops.

Dadawg_77
11-12-2002, 12:23 AM
Not sure, but Pudge has a rep for not being the best catcher at calling a game. Not sure it is true but it is something that is more imporant then the type of bat a guy has. Is Damian Miller a FA? I know he isn't a great bat but he is great behind the plate and knows what is takes to win. He would be cheaper then I Rod and might suit the Sox needs better.

Paulwny
11-12-2002, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Not sure, but Pudge has a rep for not being the best catcher at calling a game.

I also had heard this a few years ago. I-Rod refused to attend pitchers' meetings prior to a series to review opposing batters. He was not liked by many on the Rangers' staff, who felt that his continually " calling for a fast ball" with a fast runner at first showed he was more concerned with his " % of runners thrown out stats" then getting the batter out.

hold2dibber
11-12-2002, 09:16 AM
Too much money, too many risks. They'd be better served using the $10 million/year + that it would cost to sign I-Rod and use that money on acquiring front line starting pitching. Olivo will be ready in '04, so signing a big money FA at this point in time doesn't seem like the best idea to me.