PDA

View Full Version : Dick Allen Story

Lip Man 1
11-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Sox fans...if you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read the story on Dick Allen that's just come out on the main page at WSI.

It's author is Craig Wright a baseball scout for over twenty years who worked with Allen when both were in the Rangers organization.

I can assure you, it's a tour de force story. Be prepared... it's looonnngggg (6 parts!) but amazing.

Especially noteworthy is the part where Allen gets traded to, plays for, and retires from the White Sox.

Wright spoke with BOTH Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond and those men revealed some previously unknown things about Allen, especially when he retired (in part because of a bad injury that very few people knew about!)

Just an incredible saga about an incredible player.

Lip

Vsahajpal
11-11-2002, 05:14 AM
Heh, I've actually been researching Craig Wright all day today, how ironic. He wrote a book in 1989 with contributions by renowned pitching guru Tom House, entitled The Diamond Appraised. I was mostly looking at his essay regarding the overuse of young pitchers ("Learning How to Live to Pitch Another Day") since it appears Dusty Baylor, err, Baker is headed to the northside.

Kudos Lip, PHG, and/or whomever else is responsible for Wright's piece on Richie.

Sox fans...if you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read the story on Dick Allen

yeah Sox fans!

:gulp:

Daver
11-11-2002, 07:05 PM
I agree,very well done,a lot of the misconceptions about Dick Allen get dispelled right there,and I always felt Bill James was full of it anyway.

baggio202
11-11-2002, 10:56 PM
i have 2 dick allen stories..both are very positive..

in '74 (if memory serves me correct) i met dick allen at the track with my dad...we were there with a friend of my dad's who was a part-time major league scout...he was friends with dick allen and he bumped into him that day...he introduced my dad amd me to dick and he was very cordial(he didnt say much but was very polite)..he gave my dad tips on two horses to bet on and both came up winners...

a couple years ago i was coaching my sons baseball team...one of the other coaches one day showed me a bat he had gotten from dick allen when he was a kid (40 oz...i could barely swing it)...he said he was at comiskey early watching bp by the sox dugout and dick allen w/o saying a word just handed him the bat as he finished...he has had it ever since

those two stories seem to be very contridictory to the media 's image of dick at the time...and consistent with this article on the front page...

dck reminds me alot of frank thomas...i imagine in 25 years a story about frank thomas will be written similiar to this one...some guys are just constantly misunderstood by people who really dont get the chance to know them very well...

TornLabrum
11-12-2002, 12:08 AM
I admit that I haven't had time to read the Allen saga as thoroughly as I'd like to, but I will just as soon as I can find the time. However, skimming through it, one thing I noticed that was missing was the devisiveness that Rich Lindberg described in the Sox clubhouse in '74 after Ron Santo came over.

As I recall, Lindberg described Santo as leading an anti-Allen faction in the clubhouse. As I recall it, Santo didn't like the idea of Tanner having one set of rules for Allen and another for anyone else.

Dadawg_77
11-12-2002, 12:30 AM
I throughly enjoyed the article. As a younger Sox fan, well almost middle aged it seems at this board, I would like read and see more stories about the Sox past before I was 80's. I hear stories about the 72 Hitman, Dick Allen, the Go Go Sox, but I wasn't there so there really is no connection. Those are the stories I would love WSI to provide to help establish that connection with the history of the team I love. And the the off season is the perfect time to post those. But that is just MHOP

Lip Man 1
11-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Hal:

I don't know how to answer your question.

I have Rich's book and know the section you are talking about. I also saw both Hemond's and Tanner's quotes that said he wasn't a problem.

Perhaps you can e-mail Rich to see if he may be able to shed more light on this contradiction.

By the way, make sure you DO, in fact, take the time to completely read the story. I assure you it'll be worth it!

Lip

Lip Man 1
11-12-2002, 01:26 AM
Dad:

Make sure you browse through the historical sections and archived articles here at WSI. They have detailed histories of the 59 team, the 72 club, the 77 team and so forth.

Also look through the link titled : WSI Interviews (just below the baseball card of the week on the main page.) Click on it and it'll take you to all of the archived Q&A's that I have done.

By the way, ERIC SODERHOLM , one of the 1977 Southside Hit Men will be visiting WSI soon (in interview form!)

That should run probably Thanksgiving week. He was one of the most fascinating interviews I have ever had the chance to do. A great guy!

Lip

Dan H
11-12-2002, 02:13 PM
While writing my book, I heard good stories about Allen from several sources. I think people can judge him rather harshly and there was more to him than many thought.

Having said that, I also think Allen brought some of his problems on himself. Because he kept so much to himself, he allowed others to form opinions without other information. Those others can't be blamed for that.

In his own book, Allen sounded bitter about his time with the Sox. But he was treated very well in Chicago even with his run-ins with Santo. I still think Allen's biggest enemy was Dick Allen.

SI1020
11-12-2002, 07:44 PM
He carried the team in 72. I never saw a Sox player generate more excitement just by appearing in the on deck circle in a tight game. I specifically remember a rocket he hit into the center field bullpen in old Comiskey in a game against the Yanks in the summer of 72. After 72, hopes were so high in 73 and the team got out of the gate fast. Then a series of unbelievable injuries including Allen's broken leg doomed them. They never recovered the momentum. Anyway, it was great reading this piece, once again the folks who run this outfit deserve credit for delivering something that you rarely if ever see anywhere else.