PDA

View Full Version : From TSN

Daver
11-10-2002, 10:20 AM
CHICAGO WHITE SOX

In a switch from normal procedure, the team is expected to make a multiyear offer to LHP Mark Buehrle when he returns from an all-star tour of Japan. The team usually refrains from giving starters long deals. But Buehrle is young (23) and durable and has gone 39-21 with a 3.52 ERA since breaking in with the team in 2000. He was 19-12 with a 3.58 ERA in 2002 while making $310,000.

RHP Joe Valentine made just three relief appearances in the Arizona Fall League before being shut down. The move was precautionary and Valentine, who was 4-1 with a 1.97 ERA at Class AA Birmingham, is expected to be ready for spring. --Scot Gregor

cheeses_h_rice
11-10-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by daver
CHICAGO WHITE SOX

In a switch from normal procedure, the team is expected to make a multiyear offer to LHP Mark Buehrle when he returns from an all-star tour of Japan. The team usually refrains from giving starters long deals. But Buehrle is young (23) and durable and has gone 39-21 with a 3.52 ERA since breaking in with the team in 2000. He was 19-12 with a 3.58 ERA in 2002 while making $310,000.

If they pulled this off, it would rank as one of the smartest moves KW and JR have made in years. Lock him up for 4-5 years, I say. Load that contract with incentives, too.

hold2dibber
11-11-2002, 08:27 AM
It is imperative that they get this deal done over the winter. A 4 or 5 year deal (maybe with the last year a club option) will go a long way towards solidifying the rotation, squelching "Buehrle to the Cardinals" rumors and, perhaps, making the other young pitchers feel like they too will get rewarded if they can turn the corner and become consistent producers.

duke of dorwood
11-11-2002, 09:21 AM
This has future ramifications too-if a drafted young pitcher is seeing that there is not a hard line policy against this, he is more apt to sign with us rather than go thru the draft again. I just hope its true.

RichH55
11-12-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
This has future ramifications too-if a drafted young pitcher is seeing that there is not a hard line policy against this, he is more apt to sign with us rather than go thru the draft again. I just hope its true.

It really doesn't have many negatives attached to it does it?