PDA

View Full Version : I want your opinion on Chris Singleton

CubKiller
08-11-2001, 02:44 AM
I want to hear Sox fans general opinion of Chris Singleton. Here's mine (I'll try to be quick).

Excellent rookie year in '99. Rough sophomore effort, but still the best defensive player on a team that won 95 games (with Charles Johnson).

Then the Sox wrote him off next spring. Then they fumbled around with Valentin and Julio Ramierez - all the while you never heard any whining from Singleton. Then he had a chance to play regularly for a while and he played well, despite sorta being bounced around in the line-up until he cooled off. Now they're high on Rowand (and yes, he has been impressive) and it looks like #12 is the odd man out -- yet again.

Unless Rowand's wife is having a baby, then Chris gets to play.

But Singleton does so many things well. Runs, hits, fields, throws, sacrifices, bunts. My biggest complaint is that he gets caught stealing too much (at least this year).

Anyway, shouldn't this guy be in CF every day and batting second? Instead, it looks like his days are numbered. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks.

At least we Sox fans can always remember the 8-6-2 he started to gun down Gary Matthews Jr. at the plate in the rubber game versus the sCrubs at Comiskey this year. And also the 2-out homer off of Lieber in the same game.

Iguana775
08-11-2001, 02:54 AM
my thought is that rowand should get the majority of the time in Cf when he is 100%. he hurt his shoulder but i dont know how sever his injury is. chris is a pretty damn good CF but i would take rowands bat over chris's anyday. he seems to have a lot more patients and willing to take the walk. also, rowand has a little more power. and all this without sacrificing too much defense. personally, i think chris will be delt somehow in the offseason. IMHO

CubKiller
08-11-2001, 03:00 AM
Well, if Rowand keeps doing what he's done so far, then that is the right move. (As long as he doesn't kill himself by repeatedly running into walls). Especially since Chris has hinted that he wants out. And I agree, Chris won't be here next year.

Iguana775
08-11-2001, 03:05 AM
i think that once rowand learns the OF of comisky, he will become better at nailing the wall and full speed. but, i love that he goes full boar at all times.

butl, tonite, i really loved the bunt for a hit by singleton. that was one of the most perfect bunts you can make when trying to get a hit.

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2001, 03:11 AM
Singleton's bunt was a beaut. Ichiro has been showing that American baseball has gotten so used to everyone swinging from the heels that they don't know what to do with a slap hitter/bunter. Here's hoping that smallball makes a comeback. Let's see guys under 5'10" choking up on the bat, making contact.

They made a big deal tonight about Ichiro's few number of strikeouts. Little Nel had several entire seasons in which he struck out fewer times than Ichiro has already. Put the ball in play and see what happens.

MikeKreevich
08-11-2001, 08:48 AM
Singleton is one of the weakest 6'2" 210lb. players I have ever seen. He couldn't break a pinyata with a full swing. He needs to talk to Sammy about getting some muscle medicine.
He's a little too easy going. Did you see him make that weak throw on a guy going first to third. He did it while blowing a gum bubble.
With no improvement, he's a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner on a good team.

harwar
08-11-2001, 09:37 AM
Chris is ok.Thats the problem hes' just ok.I really like this Aaron Rowand kid.Hes' my kinda player.I also think the future in center field belongs to Borchard or Ramierez.

doublem23
08-11-2001, 11:44 AM
Singleton is a good player, but Rowand has proven that he may be a better CF.

Personally, I'd take Rowand over Singleton. I've always wondered how much longer Singleton will be around - seeing as we have that OTHER hot prospect - Joe Borchard.

I think Singleton could be a good 4th outfielder, but here, he's going to pushed out by better talent.