PDA

View Full Version : BA scouts Edwin Yan

Daver
11-08-2002, 06:18 PM
The second baseman the Sox got in the Guerrier for Marte trade.

Chicago White Sox
A Speedy Payoff

CHICAGO–Trading righthander Matt Guerrier was a big risk for the White Sox. But it looks like that deal, made just before the 2002 season began, could pay off in a big way.

While Guerrier had a middling 7-12, 4.59 season in Triple-A for the Pirates, lefthander Damaso Marte opened eyes by picking up 10 saves while compiling a 2.83 ERA in 60 innings for the White Sox.

And second baseman Edwin Yan turned in a solid season for Class A Winston-Salem. Yan, 20, led the Carolina League with 88 stolen bases in 107 attempts despite batting just .253.

"I just think what you saw this year is the tip of the iceberg," Warthogs manager Razor Shines said.

The 6-foot, 165-pounder has excellent instincts on the bases, and his speed was a plus for a team on which first baseman/DH Eric Welsh was the only player with more than eight home runs. The Warthogs averaged 3.9 runs a game while finishing 50-90.

The highlight of Yan’s season was breaking the club record of 79 stolen bases, which was set by Ced Landrum in 1987. He took second base as a souvenir after getting his 80th steal on Aug. 24.

"I’m going to get it signed and take it with me to remember the great day," Yan said. "It feels nice to have it over with."

Speed has always been Yan’s game. Signed by the Pirates out of the Dominican Republic in 1999, Yan stole 48 bases in 69 games in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League in 1999. Yan stole 56 bags in 128 games in 2001 while hitting .283 for low Class A Hickory. After that season, he was ranked as Pittsburgh’s No. 26 prospect.

Yan usually puts the ball in play early in the count but seldom drives it–all but 17 of his 124 hits were singles. He did show some understanding of the strike zone, as he had a 57-42 strikeout-walk ratio. His .318 on-base percentage was largely hurt by his low batting average.

Chi-Lites

Lefthander Paulino Reynoso, a converted first baseman, showed enough at low Class A Kannapolis (6-8, 4.24) to land a winter job pitching for the Del Cibao Giants in the Dominican League.

Third baseman Edgar Valera, a 31st-round pick from Long Beach State, was one of the Sox’ biggest surprises in the 2002 draft. After missing all but eight games in his senior season at Long Beach because of two hand injuries, Valera hit .330-8-40 to help Rookie-level Bristol win the Appalachian League.

RichH55
11-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Should we put this in KW's positive column? He seems to do well on the smaller deals, but fail on the bigger ones....so much for the old saying watch your pennies and your dollars will watch themselves

hold2dibber
11-12-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Should we put this in KW's positive column? He seems to do well on the smaller deals, but fail on the bigger ones....so much for the old saying watch your pennies and your dollars will watch themselves

Unless or until Guerier does something on the MLB level, this trade is a W for Williams; Marte has already contributed for the Sox (and given reason to believe he will continue to contribute in the future) and Yan seems to have some promise.

NC_sox_fan
11-12-2002, 11:22 PM
I noticed there was nothing mentioned about Yan's lack of fielding. Also, the only way he got on base was NOT because he could hit. He either walked or bunted. He should be back in A ball again next year. Believe me, he's a LONG way from Chicago!