PDA

View Full Version : KW's Offseason Plan

hold2dibber
11-08-2002, 07:49 AM
It sounds like KW is already laying the ground work for doing absolutely nothing this off season; it's the old "we have a grand plan, but we're happy to go with what we already have and we're not going to make a move just for the sake of making a move" story. Translation: we're not doing a thing.

KW's off-season shopping plans (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox08.html)

duke of dorwood
11-08-2002, 08:09 AM
We might as well be the Royals and in Kansas City. I'm getting really tired of the small market mentality in a large metro area like this.

RKMeibalane
11-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
We might as well be the Royals and in Kansas City. I'm getting really tired of the small market mentality in a large metro area like this.

:reinsy

"It's your own fault. We can't afford to sign any free-agents this offseason, because fans won't come to games anymore. If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, if you come to the park, I will spend money."

voodoochile
11-08-2002, 11:15 AM
Who here expected anything else? For all our wishful thinking and all our hoping that a top tier pitcher would fall into our laps, it wasn't going to happen. Maybe if they managed to chase away Frank, but otherwise, forget it. All that extra money is going right to the bottom line.

KW probably thinks that the pitchers actually responded to his threat to show something the last month of the season and that he is now set at SP. The field positions were never going to undergo a major change.

Like it or not, the "let the kids develop" phase is almost complete. The Sox are going to sink or swim with it now. All the home grown talent is going to make or break this team. 2003 may not be the most successful, but it is going to show the direction and the needs of this team for the next several years...

:reinsy
"And it's going to make me rich beyond my wildest dreams.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Lip Man 1
11-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Duke:

I have to agree with Voodoo, what else COULD have been expected? I wrote in some of my columns that the Sox were projecting a payroll of 45 million for 2003 and that was actually LESS then the Royals payroll this year. In fact I wrote that the Sox would simply become a "more Eastern version of the Royals..."

I don't have an answer to this quandry. It's a loggerhead between the fans and Reinsdorf.

The fans refuse to come out and spend money until Reinsdorf raises the payroll and gives hope for the future...Reinsdorf refuses to spend money until the fans come out and support him (although like I have also written many times, Uncle Jerry has never set a definate number of fans needed, attendance wise, for this to take place...)

I don't see how that will ever change. Phil Rogers was right when he said the only way this franchise can ever reconnect with it's fan base is for Reinsdorf to sell (and that's not going to happen...)

What does it all mean? Simple....for the forseeable future, if the Sox win anything (even a divisonal crown) it'll be like 2000 all over again, nothing but a fluke, an abberation. The best Sox fans can hope for realistically is that the team simply has a "winning season" more often then not and that Uncle Jerry continues to age.

Even the woebegone Cubs have the good PR sense to take aggresive action in signing players and making moves (a la Dusty Baker). It usually doesn't work but remember the motto "the only bad publicity, is NO publicity..." (The Sox seem to subscribe to the latter portion!)

Lip

OneDog
11-08-2002, 02:27 PM
You cannot compete unless you have a high payroll. You cannot have a high payroll unless people come to the stadium. You cannot get people to come to the stadium if you don't compete. 'tis a vicious cycle.

However, Jerry has $$$ lying around. The man owns 2 professional sports franchises for God's sake! You can't do that unless you have some spare cash! So, Jerry, this is what I propose. Open up that wallet of yours for at least one season. Start winning, which will bring all the fans back to Comiskey, and use that revenue to retain all the core players and make $$$ for yourself which is what you really care about.

Until that day comes, however, I think I speak for everyone when I say... :pee :reinsy