PDA

View Full Version : Tonight, in retrospective

doublem23
08-11-2001, 01:47 AM
Yes, it was a great win, and yes, there is little to diminish my joy, but lost in all the comeback hoopla, a few things show through.

A) Alan Embree sucks - This guy is just brutal. I mean, it was like watching 16-inch softball with him on the mound.

B) Jerry Manuel is a whack-job - The score is 3-1, we're at SAFECO Field, home of baseball's best team since like 1906, and what do we do? Bring in a pitcher who sucks? And then let's leave Ol' Rockhands Jeff Liefer at 1st. I've been very patient with Jerry Manuel this season, citing the fact that injuries have really diminished his options, but he had better options than what he chose.

C) Ray Durham - I'm losing patience with him as well. He didn't show hustle, and then in the 9th, he has the balls to argue a strikeout. I don't know what his problem is, but he'd better figure it out soon.

D) Jon Garland still doesn't look great as a starter - Well, he's not letting runs score, which is all that really matters, in essence, but he's making sure that any Sox fans listening to the game or watching it on TV go through peroids of temporary hypertension. I do think we should just let him pitch out of it. I'd rather have Garland start than Kip or Rocky the way things have gone recently.

E) Our bullpen is thin - Alan Embree, Rocky Biddle, Matt Ginter, Keith Foulke, Bobby Howry, and Kip Wells is, at best an average bullpen. This is obviously where injuries have hurt us most. Our bullpen is being turned into a 1950s-style "place for the pitchers not good enough to start" thing. I don't know what the solution is, other than score more runs!

Good things - Sox win (duh), Maggs is on fire, Canseco & Perry are clutch personified, Aside from Liefer there were no big defensive gaffs that I saw, Rocky settled down after giving up that grand slam, and hey, we won games without the dinger!That, and Jose Valentin is pure guts! He also made a nice play at 3rd to end the disaster 6th inning.

Plus, this is my 500th post. And I am a Personality.

Posts to Catch JM=902.

doublem23
08-11-2001, 01:49 AM
Dammit. I have to read things better. I wish I wasn't so illiterate.

Posts to catch JM=901

danman31
08-11-2001, 01:52 AM
The bullpen will hopefully better next year. All of the guys may not come back 100%.

Posts to Catch JM=901

That's gonna take a lot of hard ass wasted time(jk Jerry).

voodoochile
08-11-2001, 01:52 AM
NIce 500th post, most people blow the big ones and type something like "WOOOHOOO 500!!!"

You are correct, our bullpen is thin... real thin...That is why, IMO JM didn't have a choice but to use Embree. The 6 man rotation certainly looks like a tough idea. Glover would have been great to have available in the 6th...

They fought back, they won... the rest is moot. Still kicking and closer than ever...

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2001, 01:54 AM
I can't be a personality until I get a personality...lol

FarWestChicago
08-11-2001, 01:57 AM
Good things - Sox win (duh), Maggs is on fire, Canseco & Perry are clutch personified, Aside from Liefer there were no big defensive gaffs that I saw, Rocky settled down after giving up that grand slam, and hey, we won games without the dinger!

I guess you were in the can or kitchen when Manos doubled after Ray's incredible weakness in his at bat.

Daver
08-11-2001, 01:58 AM
Before long you can add Biddle to the DL rank,unless the Sox plan to kill him off entirley,why he is pitching now is beyond me.
But then agian what the hell do I know.

doublem23
08-11-2001, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You are correct, our bullpen is thin... real thin...That is why, IMO JM didn't have a choice but to use Embree. The 6 man rotation certainly looks like a tough idea. Glover would have been great to have available in the 6th...

Well, in the end, its the W's and L's that matter, but cmon. Embree? I'd rather see, well, anybody! But I can see there may be some small room for argument....

But there is no argument for keeping Liefer at 1B when Walnuts is your DH. Just switch 'em. You don't take anyone off the bench, and you keep Liefer's left handed bat in the lineup, which is what we so desperately want. I mean, when he dropped Boone's pop up, dread just spread all over my body.

doublem23
08-11-2001, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I guess you were in the can or kitchen when Manos doulbed after Ray's incredible weakness in his at bat.

Hey, I'm not PHG here. I'm just a goofy high school newspaper guy. I couldn't come up with anything witty for that.

Iguana775
08-11-2001, 03:03 AM
embreo is the equalivant of a batting tee. this guy freaking sux. i saw him tonite at the bar and this guy throws meat or balls. he had no idea how to pitch. what a freaking joke!!!!!!

LuvChiSox
08-11-2001, 10:20 AM
Embreeo<-----that's funny!

I agree he is a nob! I'm wondering if JM threw him out there because he's another one of Williams' experiments. Seems the only way to get KW off Jerry's back is to put these losers out there to prove what a dipsh*t KW is. I mean, Ramirez cost us too many games to mention, and it took Clayton how many games to start playing like a professional?

I'm seriously considering writing a letter to the big kahuna, JR, asking that he PLEASE get rid of KW. Not that it will do any good, but I might feel a little better.