PDA

View Full Version : If the Cubs get Baker...

Viva Magglio
11-07-2002, 09:12 AM
...watch for their disciples to start planning the Grant Park rally.

:chunks

Foulke You
11-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...watch for their disciples to start planning the Grant Park rally.

:chunks

It'll be ten times worse than the "best 3-4-5 hitters in baseball history" hype we put up with last year. I can hear it now...

:moron
"My Cubbies have a manager!!! They certainly don't have a manager like this at the ballmall! In a perfect world the Sox wouldn't exist and everyone will worship Sammy, Wrigley, and newly hired Dusty Baker"

Kilroy
11-07-2002, 12:42 PM
they'll still suck ass.

doublem23
11-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
they'll still suck ass.

1 vote for Post of the Year!

:)

Iwritecode
11-07-2002, 12:54 PM
From Rick Morrissey in the trib. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-021106morrissey,0,7925582.column?coll=cs%2Dhome%2D utility)

I like this part:

Baker needs to disabuse himself of a few notions. If one of the attractions for him is the possibility of doing what no manager has done for the Cubs since Frank Chance in 1908, he needs to get the stars out of his eyes and see the truth here.

The truth is that the Cubs don't have a payroll problem, they have a leadership problem.

Could the club use more money to spend on players? Absolutely. But that's not what has kept the team from competing year after year. Both the Giants and the Anaheim Angels, the World Series champions, had lower payrolls than the Cubs this season.

The truth is that team President Andy MacPhail has made more dreadful decisions than good ones.

The truth is that year after the year, the Cubs have signed older players who are down to their last fumes and hoped they could get a magical year out of them.

Mostly the Cubs have turned into reality TV and 70-win seasons.

The truth is that Sammy Sosa thinks he runs the franchise. Before you do anything, Dusty, you need to get that straightened out. You did it with Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent. Now you might get a chance with Sosa, whose large ego is well hidden behind those heart taps and those kisses.

Still interested, Dusty?

Cubs fans need to disabuse themselves of a few notions too. If the Cubs can sign him, Baker is one piece of the puzzle. A nice piece of the puzzle, but one piece nonetheless.

This is a team with a bullpen that has a habit of spontaneously combusting, two huge financial drains in underachievers Todd Hundley and Moises Alou and a lineup that has been known, in rare fits of discipline, to swing at balls in the strike zone.

A few other things: Baker didn't have the greatest World Series. He's thin-skinned. Of course, we'd take his thin skin and the chance to watch him make poor World Series decisions here in Chicago, wouldn't we?

What do they have that would make Dusty want to come here? Rick mentions a good starting rotation and of course Shammy's zingers but that's about it. I just don't get it...

voodoochile
11-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
What do they have that would make Dusty want to come here? Rick mentions a good starting rotation and of course Shammy's zingers but that's about it. I just don't get it...

And how long is Dusty going to put up with ShamME swinging wildly for the fences every at bat?

Lip Man 1
11-07-2002, 01:13 PM
The question was asked "what do the Cubs have that would want to make him (Baker) come here...?"

Two answers:

1 $$$$$ (Baker LOVES it and the Cubs have said they'll pay him 4-6 million a season)

but more importantly is 2

The fact that the Cubs are now THE ONLY JOB AVAILABLE to Baker. M's G.M. Pat Gillick said the Mariners WILL NOT pursue him. he named the four last candidates for Seattle's job and Dusty wasn't one of them.

Even THAT works in the Cubs favor. If Baker is so intent on managing in 2003 the Cubs can LOW BALL him on a contract and still pick him up.

Amazing the breaks the Cubs get isn't it???

Lip

Tragg
11-07-2002, 05:07 PM
If you buy a Yugo and get Jeff Gordon to drive it, it doesn't turn into a ferrari; it remains a yugo.

Jjav829
11-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
If you buy a Yugo and get Jeff Gordon to drive it, it doesn't turn into a ferrari; it remains a yugo.

*****!! I love it! That would be Post of the Week material if it still existed.

duke of dorwood
11-07-2002, 05:25 PM
Any post that mentions Jeff Gordon is post of the week for me.

Bruce Levine says Flubs likely to pursue Pudge Rodriguez once the manager is signed since they will have unloaded much payroll.

:KW

Hey dont underestimate Steve Traschel

cheeses_h_rice
11-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Bruce Levine says Flubs likely to pursue Pudge Rodriguez once the manager is signed since they will have unloaded much payroll.

Gosh, but I thought Todd Hundley was supposed to solve all their problems at catcher?

rmusacch
11-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Any post that mentions Jeff Gordon is post of the week for me.

:KW

Hey dont underestimate Steve Traschel

I can't believe you called him Pudge on a Sox board. There is only one Pudge.

DrCrawdad
11-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Dusty? I love Dusty!

http://www.dustyspringfield.co.uk/images/memphis.jpg

Viva Magglio
11-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Dusty? I love Dusty!

http://www.dustyspringfield.co.uk/images/memphis.jpg

She's dead. But I propose that we hire DS as Sox GM because in her present state, DS would be a definite improvement over...

Iwritecode
11-08-2002, 01:13 PM
How about this Dusty?

Iwritecode
11-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Or maybe this one?

Iwritecode
11-08-2002, 01:14 PM
OK last one, I promise...

moochpuppy
11-08-2002, 02:24 PM
I've been arguing with these guys on the ESPN board all week about Baker. The majority of them don't want him. They rather have a Bob Melvin, or Larry Rothschild.

After managers such as Lee Elia, Jim Frey, Jim Essian, Gene Michaels, Don Zimmer, Jim Lebvere, Tom Trebelhorn, Jim Riggleman, Don Baylor, Bruce Kimm they would want a PROVEN WINNING MANAGER.

What they are worried about is that Baker won't know how to handle their young players or young pitching staff. Sure, the Cubs right now are loaded with young talent but as WE ALL know young talent doesn't always pan out.

I just find it bizare that they don't want the best manager that is available.

Iwritecode
11-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I just find it bizare that they don't want the best manager that is available.

I think this statement sums it up best Mooch...

I don't even think Joe Torre could turn that team around...

OneDog
11-08-2002, 03:07 PM
Baker has proven that he can handle a team and a touchy superstar at the same time, so maybe the cubbies would actually fall into making the right decision this time. I'm still hoping against hope that they won't.

Daver
11-10-2002, 07:15 PM

Now that is the post of the week,we'll have it up later tonight.

Daver
11-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by daver
Now that is the post of the week,we'll have it up later tonight.

And here it is. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)