PDA

View Full Version : cubs fans, an idiotic species

jortafan
11-06-2002, 02:35 PM
Couldn't help but get a chuckle after reading this:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-cub06.html

What is most pathetic is that most Cub fans will fall for this gimmick, assuming they can even get Baker to manage them. I'd like to think we're too intelligent and would see through it. Then again, our management just goes ahead and raises prices without even seriously pretending to improve the ballclub.

duke of dorwood
11-06-2002, 02:49 PM
They could do an entire season of The X Files about Flub fans and it wouldn't explain them

voodoochile
11-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by jortafan

What is most pathetic is that most Cub fans will fall for this gimmick, assuming they can even get Baker to manage them. I'd like to think we're too intelligent and would see through it. Then again, our management just goes ahead and raises prices without even seriously pretending to improve the ballclub.

:reinsy
"Whadyameen? I improved the ball club. In fact I promise the fans that every big name in the game will be playing at Comiskey next year."

Dan H
11-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
They could do an entire season of The X Files about Flub fans and it wouldn't explain them

It really doesn't take much to explain Cub fans. They have no knowledge of baseball or sense of reality.

Foulke You
11-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by jortafan

You're assuming that most Cub "fans" will actually care about a baseball related decision that management makes. They are more concerned with windscreens, rooftops, portapotties, public urination, and possible Wrigley expansion. As long as the beer is cold, the sun is shining, and there are many bars outside the park, the Tribune can quote whatever price they like for their baseball themed amusement park and the sheep will show up to "beuuuuuuuuuutiful Wrigley Field" in droves.

:woo-woo
"WOO! I'll be first in line!! WOO!"

voodoochile
11-06-2002, 03:44 PM
The Cubs' plan is to hire Baker as their fourth manager in the last five years by next week, then follow that coup with news of the price hike. They can use Baker's credentials, including his World Series appearance last month with the San Francisco Giants, and the expected public approval of his hiring as justification for boosting their financial bottom line

I thought they were going to spend all that extra moolah to field a winner next year... I'm shocked...

"It's glaringly apparent that whenever we lose, it's because of something I did to make us lose,'' Baker said from his Pacific Bell Park office after answering fan mail. "You get tired of getting it handed to you what you did to screw up, especially when you're doing the best job you can do. I'm tired of hearing I screwed up.''

Well come coach at scenic Wrigley Field, Dusty. No one there even knows the score and losing is a way of life. It will be your dream come true, because no one will ever complain when your team finishes out of the running year after year after year after... For them, it's just a way of life...

Lip Man 1
11-06-2002, 05:53 PM
You have to give the Cubs PR department some credit though...if you're going to raise ticket prices raise them AFTER you make a big "positive" splash. (Unlike the Sox...)

And I wouldn't underestimate the impact a manager like Baker could have on the Cubs, he's a hell of a field leader, one of the best in the game. He should be on the SOUTH side, not the North!

Lip

WinningUgly!
11-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
It really doesn't take much to explain Cub fans. They have no knowledge of baseball or sense of reality.

If you were to go to Wrigley on opening day, how many times would you hear somebody say, "Hey, when did Don Baylor get glasses?"

jortafan
11-06-2002, 08:33 PM
Actually, I'd think they'd be more interested in seeing cute little Cubbie batboy Darren Baker.

Tragg
11-06-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
They are more concerned with windscreens, rooftops, portapotties, public urination, and possible Wrigley expansion.

Don't forget Beanie babies and bubble-head dolls.

duke of dorwood
11-07-2002, 08:02 AM
I dont get this big deal over Baker. Last time I looked-Giants have had as many lousy years as good. Even Manual had a winning season. Flukes happen.

voodoochile
11-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I dont get this big deal over Baker. Last time I looked-Giants have had as many lousy years as good. Even Manual had a winning season. Flukes happen.

Um... in the last 6 years the Giants have won at least 86 games every year, have won their division twice, made the playoffs a third time as a WC where they lost the WS in 7 games.

Prior to that they struggled, but since 1997, they have been one of the elite teams in the league...

Giants Yearly team records (http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sf/history/sf_history_results.jsp)

ma-gaga
11-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Actually, I'd think they'd be more interested in seeing cute little Cubbie batboy Darren Baker.

Oh dear god. My eyes are burning already. And I'm not subjected to cubbie-dom on a daily basis.

I've seen the future, the future is cute.