PDA

View Full Version : Sox Top 10 'spects

kermittheefrog
11-06-2002, 09:13 AM
The guy who did this, Kevin Goldstein, does a simple daily report on minor league action by just giving us the stat lines of the best prospects in action today with short comments. It's a cool thing, he seems to know a lot about the minors and his newletter has MLB front office men on it. Here's his Sox top 10 prospects list:

http://www.theprospectreport.com/top10cws.html

duke of dorwood
11-06-2002, 10:21 AM
I'm still not a Willie Harris booster. How many bunt singles can you get? This Webster seems like a real rising star.

ozzman
11-06-2002, 11:47 AM
i know corwin malone had an off year, but i didnt think that would knock him out of the top 10 prospects

maurice
11-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks, kermit. This was a good read with some interesting snippets.

1. He thinks that Olivo could be ready:

The failure of Mark Johnson and Josh Paul to establish themselves as major league catchers has opened the door wide open for Olivo in 2003. He'll arrive in spring training with a solid chance to win the starting job.

2. He's not high on Borchard's defense:

Borchard would be tough to take defensively in center, especially with the White Sox starting Carlos Lee in left . . . .

3. As noted, he's also high on 19-year-old OF Anthony Webster, who could be a long-term solution in CF, if Borchard's defense doesn't improve.

4. He had disturbing, Nardi-esque, info to report on Honel.

His fastball is consistently in the 88-91 mph range, which is 2-3 mph under what he threw in high school.

5. He's very high on Rauch, despite ranking him fourth:

He'll go to spring training as a leading candidate for a slot in the White Sox rotation. He's most definitely still a potential ace.

6. He also reported the following on 18-year-old 2B Pedro Lopez:

Offensively, he's reminiscent of Luis Castillo.

I'll take that! Does anyone else have info on Lopez?

Randar68
11-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The guy who did this, Kevin Goldstein, does a simple daily report on minor league action by just giving us the stat lines of the best prospects in action today with short comments. It's a cool thing, he seems to know a lot about the minors and his newletter has MLB front office men on it. Here's his Sox top 10 prospects list:

http://www.theprospectreport.com/top10cws.html

Well, if you are still going to include Rauch in a prospect report, I find it awefully hard to rank him behind Olivo or Honel. I love both those guys, but Honel has a long way to go to get to the majors, and Olivo is not the second coming of Ivan Rodriguez. However, Rauch is still a #1 or #2 pitcher 2 years down the road IMO.

RichH55
11-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Thanks, kermit. This was a good read with some interesting snippets.

1. He thinks that Olivo could be ready:

2. He's not high on Borchard's defense:

3. As noted, he's also high on 19-year-old OF Anthony Webster, who could be a long-term solution in CF, if Borchard's defense doesn't improve.

5. He's very high on Rauch, despite ranking him fourth:

6. He also reported the following on 18-year-old 2B Pedro Lopez:

I'll take that! Does anyone else have info on Lopez?

Regarding Borchard's D...he also said that is was better than expected, so I don't think it will be a huge issue as long as the other option out there is Rowand

Daver
11-06-2002, 05:14 PM

His fastball is consistently in the 88-91 mph range, which is 2-3 mph under what he threw in high school.

Kris never consistently threw over 90-91 in high school,he would occasionally get one up there at 94-95 MPH range,but not more than a few times a game,his fastball range was a consistent 90-92 range.

He doesn't throw a fastball all that much anyway,though he may be throwing it more now in the pro's.

maurice
11-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by daver
Kris never consistently threw over 90-91 in high school.

Strangely, in this context, this news is a relief to hear. I'm not a big proponent of radar guns, but a 4 MPH drop at his age has disturbing implications.

Daver
11-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Strangely, in this context, this news is a relief to hear. I'm not a big proponent of radar guns, but a 4 MPH drop at his age has disturbing implications.

The radar gun is the worst thing that ever happened to pitching in MLB,closely followed by the trend in pitching coaches to be slaves to the pitch count.You'll notice that pitching coaches that were successful MLB pitchers use the pitch count far less than those that were not,because they can tell from simple mechanics if a pitcher is done or not.Any good catcher can tell you the same thing,which is why I wonder why teams have not created the position of assistant pitching coach and hired a few good catchers to fill that role,though most of the good cathers that have been interested in coaching usually end up as managers.

RichH55
11-07-2002, 11:23 PM
The radar gun is the worst thing that ever happened to pitching in MLB,closely followed by the trend in pitching coaches to be slaves to the pitch count.You'll notice that pitching coaches that were successful MLB pitchers use the pitch count far less than those that were not,because they can tell from simple mechanics if a pitcher is done or not.Any good catcher can tell you the same thing,which is why I wonder why teams have not created the position of assistant pitching coach and hired a few good catchers to fill that role,though most of the good cathers that have been interested in coaching usually end up as managers.

Daver did you ever see Grant Johnson from Lyons pitch during Honel's senior year? If you have I was just wondering on your take about him

maurice
11-08-2002, 09:34 AM
The radar gun is the worst thing that ever happened to pitching in MLB,closely followed by the trend in pitching coaches to be slaves to the pitch count.

Those two are pretty bad, though they can be useful in some very limited ways. My pet peves are making repeated pitching changes because of lefty/righty matchups, and bringing in a closer for the sole purpose of increasing his saves total. In my mind, if a pitcher is getting quick outs, you don't pull him until he stops pitching effectively. The more pitchers you use in a game, the more likely you'll insert a pitcher who is ineffective that day. If your so-called "setup man" cruises through the eighth inning, don't take him out of the game to start the ninth; not for your "closer" and certainly not for a LHP with a 6.00 ERA who will only pitch to one batter.

Daver
11-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Daver did you ever see Grant Johnson from Lyons pitch during Honel's senior year? If you have I was just wondering on your take about him

I only saw him once,and that day was not a good one for him,he has potential but he needs a lot of work,hopefully he gets a scholarship,because he would benefit from the chance to work on his game before going into the draft.

RichH55
11-08-2002, 09:41 PM
I only saw him once,and that day was not a good one for him,he has potential but he needs a lot of work,hopefully he gets a scholarship,because he would benefit from the chance to work on his game before going into the draft.

Oh he did get a scholarship....Full Ride to Notre Dame....pitched at a true freshman in the college World Series