PDA

View Full Version : Old WGN video

wassagstdu
11-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know where there might be recordings of Sox games on WGN from pre-VCR days? I remember one year -- late 50s or early 60s -- WGN showed condensed versions of good Sox games from the preceding season once a week during the winter. So WGN must have had some kind of recording at that time. I have written to them, but never got a reply. Maybe they burned everything with Sox on it.

I see the MLB store has just offered a CD recording of game 5 of the '59 series -- the high water mark of Sox history during my lifetime -- and of course I do have the video of the 59 series (agony), but no Jack Brickhouse!

Or, how about audio recordings of Bob Elson on WCFL way back when? Anyone?

Lip Man 1
11-05-2002, 08:25 PM
This is going to take some doing but here goes..... Recordings in those days were made on 2 INCH wide videotape, it was a process called "kinescope." Needless to say those tapes took up large amounts of room and needed special warehouses to be stored in. I found being in the TV business myself, that tapes generally go bad and decay after about ten years if they are not stored in air conditioned, climate controlled locations. (I worked in Louisiana with very high heat and humidity!)

According to an article in TV Guide from sometime in the late 80's (I remember reading it at my desk in the sports office) MLB will pay a king's ransom for ANY material (even home movies) from the time period of the mid 60's through the mid 70's. Before that they have a decent amount of newsreel footage that was shot of ballgames by the Fox and Movietone companies.

During the period from 65 through 75, TV stations were switching from the 2 INCH videotape to the "new" smaller, lightweight ENG gear (ENG stands for eletronic news gathering) and discarding all of the old stuff.

Quoted in the TV Guide story was the news director of WGN in the early 60's who stated that when WGN moved to their "new" location on West Bradley Place they threw out EVERYTHING concerning the Sox and Cubs from the 50's. It was too expensive to keep, and store and frankly they didn't think anybody would want it in the future. So to answer your question, unless somebody kept something in an air conditioned attic, it's all gone. For example MLB has no known footage anywhere, of anykind, of Catfish Hunter's perfect game in 1967 or Steve Carlton's 19 strikeout performance in 1972.

I'm curious where you got that Game #5 CD of the 59 Series? I have Game #1 of the Series on audio cassett and I also have about 25 minutes of footage from the Sox in the period from 1956 through 1960 (from the Movietone files...) on a VCR tape.

Lip

Lip Man 1
11-05-2002, 08:29 PM
I also have a complete audio of a game from September 1967, including pre and post game done by Bob Elson and Red Rush.

Lip

CiscoCarlos
11-06-2002, 07:34 AM
There's a company called Holley Music that sells an audio WCFL game from 9/2/67 in which Bob Elson and Red Rush announce the Sox beating the Red Sox 4-1. It can be ordered over the net at www.cooperstownmusic.com or by phone (far easier) at 1-800-526-9441. or even by mail. P.O. Box 226, Cooperstown, NY 13326.

wassagstdu
11-06-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I'm curious where you got that Game #5 CD of the 59 Series?

Thanks for the info, Lip. Kind of sad.
Here is the address for the '59 series game 5 recording -- from mlb.com:
http://shop.mlb.com/dr/sat2/Ec_Main.entry24?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=401228&xid=34935&search_id=500628034&doc_id=3&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

wassagstdu
11-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
There's a company called Holley Music that sells an audio WCFL game from 9/2/67 in which Bob Elson and Red Rush announce the Sox beating the Red Sox 4-1. It can be ordered over the net at www.cooperstownmusic.com or by phone (far easier) at 1-800-526-9441. or even by mail. P.O. Box 226, Cooperstown, NY 13326.
Thanks, Cisco. I see by the way that those folks also have games 1, 4, and 5 of the '59 series.

Ol Aches & Pains
11-06-2002, 09:08 PM
You might want to look around in here: http://www.raresportsfilms.com/index.html

It's a guy in Naperville who buys up old sports films and restores them frame by frame, and color corrects them (if they're in color). He does a great job, he has some beautiful old baseball videos. I don't think he has any complete Sox games, but plenty of highlights in the 1956-1960 tape, and lots of other good stuff. I'm a Milwaukee Braves fan, used to go up there several tmes a summer with my dad when I was a boy, and this guy has the old Braves season highlight films for every year from 1953 through about 1961, I think. He sells World Series highlight films that put the other sources to shame, even 1959 if you can stand it. Well worth a look.

awesomefan
11-08-2002, 08:10 PM
Ol Aches & Pains: Thanks for the website address. I'll check it out. I searched the web awhile back & found some decent old baseball viedos for sale. I think I did a search for "vintage baseball video".

Wsoxmike59
11-13-2002, 09:36 PM
After reading this thread, which the topic has always interested me BTW, I went to Ebay to see if they had some older games and stuff on their site and I ran across this game.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1581928424

wassagstdu
11-23-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
You might want to look around in here: http://www.raresportsfilms.com/index.html

It's a guy in Naperville who buys up old sports films and restores them frame by frame, and color corrects them (if they're in color). He does a great job, he has some beautiful old baseball videos. I don't think he has any complete Sox games, but plenty of highlights in the 1956-1960 tape, and lots of other good stuff. I'm a Milwaukee Braves fan, used to go up there several tmes a summer with my dad when I was a boy, and this guy has the old Braves season highlight films for every year from 1953 through about 1961, I think. He sells World Series highlight films that put the other sources to shame, even 1959 if you can stand it. Well worth a look.
I just received a tape with newsreel highlights from 13 Sox games at Comiskey 1956-60 from this guy. It is really amazing. He is good. Starts with opening day 1956 showing Aparicio after his first major league game congratulating the WP Pierce. Pierce laying down a suicide squeeze with 2 strikes and Minoso scoring. Lots of Nellie Fox and Minnie Minoso. One of Aparicio's patented jumping throws from the hole (Woodie Held was safe), and a double play pivot you have to see in slow motion. Sammy Esposito taking called strike 3 with the bases loaded to end the game, throwing his bat and getting ejected (how does that work?). Great stuff, beautifully restored.

HITMEN OF 77
11-25-2002, 01:07 AM
There have been a few video VHS Chi Sox games for sale on eBay lately. Most of them are from the early 1980's, but someone had one from the mid 70's. I don't know if they are complete games or not. They had 6 or 7 bids on the one's I have seen and were around the $30 area.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2002, 12:51 PM
The same guy who offered that Cardinals / Dodgers TV game has 20 minutes of TV video of two Sox / Red Sox games from 1970.

It's a high price for a team that was a disaster.

If your looking for more then that contact me, maybe we can work something out. I've got for example 1 hour and 15 minutes of highlights from the 83 season, including all the post game celebrations and interviews the night the Sox clinched. y Bears TV stuff (complete games) goes back to 1984, Bulls (complete games) 1989 and Hawks (complete games) 1985

Lip

Sox-on-TV44
07-16-2004, 05:48 PM
There's a company called Holley Music that sells an audio WCFL game from 9/2/67 in which Bob Elson and Red Rush announce the Sox beating the Red Sox 4-1. It can be ordered over the net at www.cooperstownmusic.com (http://www.cooperstownmusic.com/) or by phone (far easier) at 1-800-526-9441. or even by mail. P.O. Box 226, Cooperstown, NY 13326.
I got that game.One correction,it was on WMAQ.WCFL finished airing Sox games after the 1966 season.

In a related question.Where are all the games that Channel 44 showed (1973-80)?And is it for sale?I got to know.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Harry and Jimmy."Taking Care Of Business" on TV44:harry&jimmy

Brian26
07-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Hasn't there been several flashbacks this year to highlights from the '72-'74 seasons during the Sox games? I wonder where they got all of the video?

Lip Man 1
07-16-2004, 08:55 PM
The flashbacks have been on all WGN and WCIU TV games sponsored by the Illinois State Lottery, and their 30th anniversary, ergo the 'highlights' are from 1974.

They might have gotten them from the Chicago Radio / TV Broadcast Museum or more then likely then got them through Phoenix Communications, the 'official' video arm of MLB.

Just so you know Phoenix Communications will sell you highlights and material from the late 60's / 70's. Of course the matter of cost could be a factor...they want $1,800 per minute!

That's right...I checked with them on it.

They didn't get them from WGN-TV themselves because Rich King in his interview with me for WSI said the archives only go back to 1985.

Lip

TDog
07-16-2004, 10:48 PM
There's a company called Holley Music that sells an audio WCFL game from 9/2/67 in which Bob Elson and Red Rush announce the Sox beating the Red Sox 4-1. ...
If I'm not mistaken Cisco, Sox pitcher Cisco Carlos shut out the Tigers eight days later. That would have been a good tape to own, particularly if it included the first game of the doubleheader, when Joe Horlen no-hit the Tigers.