PDA

View Full Version : Glavine / Maddux News

Lip Man 1
11-05-2002, 01:09 AM
For those of you who have posted comments about the Sox making a pitch (no pun intended) for either Tom Glavine or Greg Maddux (and that includes Steve Rosenbloom) hear this:

ESPN reported tonight that the Phillies are prepared to pay free agent 1st baseman Jim Thome four million bucks a season MORE then he's been offered by the Indians.

The story also said they have been "burning up" the phones lines to Glavine's agent to get his client to come to Philly. The Braves apparently have offered Glavine a one year, eight million dollar contract and both Glavine and his agent feel "insulted" by it. The story ended by saying that Maddux is also a Phillies target.

For those of you wondering why the Phils have suddenly decided to spend a ton of money it's because they open a new ballpark in 2004 and if the team is garbage, Philly fans won't show up, new park or not. The team is trying to be proactive to guarantee interest in 2004.

Geez... wish the Sox would be proactive instead of blaming the media and the fans for their stupidity.

Lip

bc2k
11-05-2002, 02:07 AM
Will their new park have grass or turf?

DVG
11-05-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For those of you who have posted comments about the Sox making a pitch (no pun intended) for either Tom Glavine or Greg Maddux (and that includes Steve Rosenbloom) hear this:

ESPN reported tonight that the Phillies are prepared to pay free agent 1st baseman Jim Thome four million bucks a season MORE then he's been offered by the Indians.

The story also said they have been "burning up" the phones lines to Glavine's agent to get his client to come to Philly. The Braves apparently have offered Glavine a one year, eight million dollar contract and both Glavine and his agent feel "insulted" by it. The story ended by saying that Maddux is also a Phillies target.

For those of you wondering why the Phils have suddenly decided to spend a ton of money it's because they open a new ballpark in 2004 and if the team is garbage, Philly fans won't show up, new park or not. The team is trying to be proactive to guarantee interest in 2004.

Geez... wish the Sox would be proactive instead of blaming the media and the fans for their stupidity.

Lip

8 million for one year is an insult??? I wish someone would insult
me like that. Just once, I'd like to see them try.

duke of dorwood
11-05-2002, 08:14 AM
I have read that the 1 year offer was from the Braves, and Glavine hasnt met with the Phillies yet. The Phillies have a presentation waiting that includes their 2004 park, so a one year offer makes no sense. Glavine apparently would like to go to Boston since he's from near there. The Red Sox havent contacted him yet.

34 Inch Stick
11-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Looks like my Steve Trachsell prediction is getting closer and closer to becoming a reality.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2002, 11:17 AM
The new Phillies park will be grass.

Lip

voodoochile
11-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DVG
8 million for one year is an insult??? I wish someone would insult
me like that. Just once, I'd like to see them try.

Yes, in the world of MLB a 1 year contract for $8M is an insult to a player of Glavine's stature. He is toward the end of his career and is looking for some security. Since all contracts are guaranteed, he would be better off signing for 4 years at $6M. In fact from a financial perspective he would be 3 times better off. Since someone is sure to offer him 3Y at $10M/Y (IMO) he would be stupid to even consider taking the Braves offer.

Yes, any of the people who post here would gladly take that money and laugh all the way to the bank, but none of us has Glavine's arm or ability. How would you feel if you were Glavine and they offered you that contract and you knew it might be your last contract and that you were nearing the end of your career and that one year contracts are a bigger and bigger risk?

Randar68
11-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yes, in the world of MLB a 1 year contract for $8M is an insult to a player of Glavine's stature. He is toward the end of his career and is looking for some security. Since all contracts are guaranteed, he would be better off signing for 4 years at $6M. In fact from a financial perspective he would be 3 times better off. Since someone is sure to offer him 3Y at $10M/Y (IMO) he would be stupid to even consider taking the Braves offer.

Yes, any of the people who post here would gladly take that money and laugh all the way to the bank, but none of us has Glavine's arm or ability. How would you feel if you were Glavine and they offered you that contract and you knew it might be your last contract and that you were nearing the end of your career and that one year contracts are a bigger and bigger risk?

I'm not so sure anyone is going to offer more than 8 million per season for either he or Maddux, especially considering their October performances this year and their age.

duke of dorwood
11-06-2002, 02:44 PM
You know we wont.

Foulke You
11-06-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I'm not so sure anyone is going to offer more than 8 million per season for either he or Maddux, especially considering their October performances this year and their age.

I tend to think they will get their money from somebody. All it takes is two teams that want him bad enough to drive up the bidding.