PDA

View Full Version : Hinskie,Jennings win ROY

Daver
11-04-2002, 05:21 PM
The first time A member of the Rockies has wan the award. (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20021104/437349.html)

WinningUgly!
11-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Hinskie & Jennings just like I predicted in March. :D:

RKMeibalane
11-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Another brilliant move by the Cubs font-office. Why they traded Hinskie is beyond me.

OneDog
11-04-2002, 08:36 PM
For years they whined and cried about not having a 3rd Baseman since Ron Santo and then they trade away a 3rd baseman who wins rookie of the year. How can Cubs fans (the word fans is used loosely) continue to support an organization that continually spits in their faces. :?:

hold2dibber
11-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
For years they whined and cried about not having a 3rd Baseman since Ron Santo and then they trade away a 3rd baseman who wins rookie of the year. How can Cubs fans (the word fans is used loosely) continue to support an organization that continually spits in their faces. :?:

Uh, I hate to be seen as siding with sCrUBS fans, but don't we do the same thing?

jortafan
11-05-2002, 07:58 AM
Just curious if anyone can refresh my memory as to what constitutes a rookie. I'm curious if Joe Crede will still qualify as one during 2003, or if he got in enough playing time this season that he could not be considered for ROY in '03, provided that he has the season we're all hoping he's capable of.

kermittheefrog
11-05-2002, 02:11 PM
I remember back in the day on the ESPN boards I was talking on the Cubs board and I said a lot of good things about Hinske and they were like "what the hell are you talking about? you should trade Crede for him if he's so great." Nice to see the guy succeed.

Vsahajpal
11-05-2002, 02:44 PM
Hinske had a very solid year, still Bellhorn outdid him. Hinske was never a top prospect in the system, and his emergence is quite stunning. He could've very easily performed like Julio Zuleta or Roosevelt Brown, he still may. While I agree that the trade looks bad now, I never complained at the time of the trade, and I won't now. Moreover, we'll see how long he stays at 3b; he's a very mediocre fielder. If I had to choose between him and Choi, no-brainer.

DrCrawdad
11-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Hinske had a very solid year, still Bellhorn outdid him. Hinske was never a top prospect in the system, and his emergence is quite stunning. He could've very easily performed like Julio Zuleta or Roosevelt Brown, he still may. While I agree that the trade looks bad now, I never complained at the time of the trade, and I won't now. Moreover, we'll see how long he stays at 3b; he's a very mediocre fielder. If I had to choose between him and Choi, no-brainer.

Was it a choice between Choi or Hinske? I thought it was Kelton or Hinske, since 3rd has been Hinske's position.

I've heard that Kelton did well in the AFL. But in your opinion is Kelton going to be make it as a 3rd baseman?

What I've found interesting is how many Cub fans dismiss Hinske's year as a fluke and also his defense but on the other hand talk about Bellhorn as though there were no doubt that he'll reproduce his 2001 career year again.

Sure Hinske is no great 3rd baseman, but then Bellhorn is not a good fielder either.

Vsahajpal
11-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Was it a choice between Choi or Hinske? I thought it was Kelton or Hinske, since 3rd has been Hinske's position.

I've heard that Kelton did well in the AFL. But in your opinion is Kelton going to be make it as a 3rd baseman?

What I've found interesting is how many Cub fans dismiss Hinske's year as a fluke and also his defense but on the other hand talk about Bellhorn as though there were no doubt that he'll reproduce his 2001 career year again.

Sure Hinske is no great 3rd baseman, but then Bellhorn is not a good fielder either.

DC, I'm saying that if Eric makes the switch as many feel he will, I'd take Choi.

Kelton did well at the AFL last year, did alright at double-A this year, and is currently playing in Mexico.

I have my reservations about him at 3b, but according to this article (from this morning) he's doing better than they hoped.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20021104&content_id=170146&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp

I don't know who is dismissing Hinske's year as a fluke, he's always been a nice hitter with questionable defensive skills, which is exactly what he was for Toronto this year. I don't think his offensive numbers will decline, he'll be a productive offensive player for the Jays at any position. I read where the Jays were looking to trade Delgado and shed his huge salary. Either Hinske or Phelps would move to 1b, and Lopez would field the hot corner.

I still like Kelton's bat more, he may never produce at Hinske's level until he draws more walks. Fortunately, the problem isn't as severe as say Corey or Soriano. He's not a hacker per se, he just misses pitches.

kermittheefrog
11-06-2002, 12:43 AM
I noticed Hinske after his year in AA, lots of walks and home run power. Typically guys who shows a good batting eye and power in AA can be expected to make the transition to the majors. I wouldn't say his emergence is stunning at all but I will say I'm suprised he's this good this fast. I also think you're confusing a couple trades. Mark Bellhorn was acquired for Adam Morrissey (sp?). Morrissey is an Australian second baseman who put up awesome numbers last year in A ball at a young age but wasn't a big name among scouts and didn't play great in AA this year.

Hinske was essentially traded for Miguel Cairo and Scott Chiasson. Scott Chiasson was selected by the Cubs in the Rule V draft from the A's in 2001. The Cubbies decided Chiasson wasn't quite ready but they liked his arm so instead of sending him back to the A's they made a deal. They were allowed to keep Chiasson and in exchange Hinske was traded to Oakland for Miguel Cairo. The Bellhorn deal was a completely different trade made a year later. Hinske is a much better player than Cairo or Chiasson.

DrCrawdad
05-27-2003, 10:24 PM
...Kelton did well at the AFL last year, did alright at double-A this year, and is currently playing in Mexico.

I have my reservations about him at 3b, but according to this article (from this morning) he's doing better than they hoped.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20021104&content_id=170146&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp

...I still like Kelton's bat more, he may never produce at Hinske's level until he draws more walks. Fortunately, the problem isn't as severe as say Corey or Soriano. He's not a hacker per se, he just misses pitches.

KELTON DONE AT 3RD (http://www.dmregister.com/sports/stories/c6902873/21353407.html)

David Kelton came to the stadium Monday morning expecting to learn the finer points of playing left field.

After abandoning third base, the Chicago Cubs' prospect wanted to play another position, and Monday was supposed to be a day of practice...

Kelton, 23, has 11 errors at third base, four in the past six games.

"It got to where I was not having fun and I felt that I was hurting the team," Kelton said. "When it gets to that point, I shouldn't be there. I feel like I'm a good enough of an athlete to make the move and play the outfield well."

Kelton was taken by the Cubs in the second round of the 1998 draft. He has played third base, first and left field. He entered this season with 101 minor league errors.

"I'd be comfortable at third for a week, then I would go another week without being comfortable," he said.

He has battled injuries. He has battled throwing inaccuracies...

Vsahajpal
05-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Fortunately Brendan Harris has emerged as a legit hot corner prospect, and now 18 year-old Venezuelan phenom Robinson Chirinos is making a name for himself at Lansing. I think Hendry covets Mike Lowell, we'll see what happens.

Getting back to the title of this thread, what the heck happened to Hinske and Jennings?

MHOUSE
05-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Fortunately Brendan Harris has emerged as a legit hot corner prospect, and now 18 year-old Venezuelan phenom Robinson Chirinos is making a name for himself at Lansing. I think Hendry covets Mike Lowell, we'll see what happens.

Getting back to the title of this thread, what the heck happened to Hinske and Jennings?

IIRC Hinske is on the DL for Toronto and Jennings is having a mediocre season at best in Colorado.

DrCrawdad
05-28-2003, 02:20 AM

What the heck happened to "The Horn" (what a goofy nickname by the Excitable Boy Chip)?

Vsahajpal
05-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
What the heck happened to "The Horn" (what a goofy nickname by the Excitable Boy Chip)?

I think it goes back to the offseason when Dusty wanted Bellhorn to change his approach. He wanted him to change his Oakland A's approach or something like that, I don't remember the exact quote. I didn't understand it then, and I certainly don't now. Bellhorn should be leading off, with Grudzielanek 2nd, Patterson 3rd, Sosa 4th, followed by Alou, Choi, and Gonzalez.

Hangar18
05-28-2003, 12:33 PM
What I have come to LOVE about Eric Hinske, is that when he was drafted by the Cubs, Jim Hendry called him to give him the "good news" and tell he was just drafted, and Hinske was like "Sh*t, I dont want to play for this team" so he held out....
and his grandfather, who was old and decrepit and dying, begged his grandson to please sign with the cubs, it was his favorite team and he could watch all the games on WGN (note to Einhorn, taking sox off free tv is STILL hurting the sox to this day). So Hinske, reluctantly signed wth the cubs. When he was traded, he was glad. He was a little miffed the A's traded him to the Jays, but he admits its all worked for the better now..