PDA

View Full Version : tentative sox depth chart

guillen4life13
11-02-2002, 12:55 PM
tell me if you think this is anything close to possible (take a good look at the starting rotation... it may be a bit unrealistic, but i'm an optimist right now)

RichH55
11-04-2002, 01:53 AM
Jimenez was quoted by baseball prospectus last year to put up numbers similar to .283 BA .367 OBP .411 SLG .275 EQA....so they are pretty high on him... The best part of the read was that they said he was already a legitimate lead-off hitter(of course this is before SD gave up on him)...but overall very pleased with that as I was/am worried about production from the leadoff spot

RichH55
11-04-2002, 02:03 AM
BA HR RBI SB
Jimenez .273 5 55 19
Valentin .259 34 90 15
Thomas .307 35 137 0
Mags .336 43 140 12
Konerko .290 32 103 0
C Lee .309 33 96 10
Borchard .260 24 68 5 (maybe not a full season)
Crede .270 19 69 4
C Olivo .254 10 52 7

Overall even with all that youth, that's a pretty damn good lineup, of course bringing back Thomas is key to that lineup, but you have some real power throughout the lineup and we aren't talking Rob Deer HR or nothing power either

bc2k
11-04-2002, 04:18 AM
I agree that is the probably lineup but I do believe Paul Konerko will have a better batting average, more home runs, and definately more rbi than Frank Thomas. And Carlos Lee will have more than 20 home runs. Other than that, everything looks accurate and if our GM sits on his hands, will be the 2003 team.

jortafan
11-04-2002, 07:40 AM
I like the lineup and the starting pitching rotation. It's just too bad that KW will insist on trying to redeem his reputation by sticking Ritchie in there, AND probably picking up another old arm in trade. We'd be legitimate contenders if we could only keep the GM from mucking things up.

doublem23
11-04-2002, 07:44 AM
Ouch, that team looks like it'd be lucky to finish .500.

And I personally think you're crazy if you expect Olivo to hit .260 right now.

hold2dibber
11-04-2002, 08:13 AM
I don't see anything in your predictions that struck me as absurd or impossible. But taken as a whole, the predictions seem highly unlikely to me. You have given basically, the most we could expect out of any of those guys in every single case. It is not likely that every single player on the team will play at the top of the range of his potential next season. In other words, could Jon Rauch put up the numbers you're predicted? Certainly feasible. But it is just as feasible that he'll fail up here, go 2-6 with a 5.27 ERA and spend most of next year at Charlotte. Or that Jimenez won't get it together, will hit .232 with a .297 OBP through the first two months and lose his job to Harris or Graffy. My point being, you've given best case scenario. Worst case scenario is just as possible.

pearso66
11-04-2002, 09:37 AM
worst case scenario is always possible, ordonez could have an off year, or konerko could get injured. it can happen to any player, or for any team, doesnt necessarily have to happen to a young player

maurice
11-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
tell me if you think this is anything close to possible (take a good look at the starting rotation... it may be a bit unrealistic, but i'm an optimist right now)

Pretty good guesses, though certainly optimistic. Heck, it's the time of year for optimism. A few notes:

1. Anyone who thinks they can accurately predict the performance (or even the identity) of the 2003 Sox rotation is nuts. Your guess is as good as mine. My guess: we'll see the same pitching staff that finished 2002 but with slightly improved stats overall.

2. I doubt Valentin will put up the numbers you predict. At this point in his career, he's basically a platoon player (riding the pine in favor of Graffy versus southpaws) with limited speed. I'd rather see Crash or CLee batting second, though the Sox don't have an ideal candidate for that spot in the order.

3. Your SB guesses are probably too high. This team isn't going to steal very may bases in 2003.

4. I have a gut feeling that CLee will have a better year than Paulie. Hopefully, they'll both be great.

5. I doubt that either Olivo or LTP will put up quality stats before the All-Star break, but I hope I'm wrong.

OneDog
11-04-2002, 02:26 PM
Nothing wrong with being optimistic, if we weren't optimistic we would have stopped caring about Chicago baseball a long time ago.

Regarding Miguel Olivo, he may be better off spending another year in the minors. The Sox took that approach with Crede and it appears to be paying dividends. They also seem to be taking that approach with LTP and 2000 1st round pick Kris Honel which also seems to be paying off. So it may be better for Olivo to spend a season at Charlotte.

Only question is can the Sox afford to keep him down there. I'm sure none of us want to sit through another episode of the Mark and Josh show.

RKMeibalane
11-04-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I agree that is the probably lineup but I do believe Paul Konerko will have a better batting average, more home runs, and definately more rbi than Frank Thomas. And Carlos Lee will have more than 20 home runs. Other than that, everything looks accurate and if our GM sits on his hands, will be the 2003 team.

Yes, bc2k, we know you hate Frank Thomas. We know you don't want him back. You've made your position clear a thousand times over. Now, please keep your opinions to yourself, and shut the hell up.

Daver
11-04-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by OneDog

Regarding Miguel Olivo, he may be better off spending another year in the minors. The Sox took that approach with Crede and it appears to be paying dividends. They also seem to be taking that approach with LTP and 2000 1st round pick Kris Honel which also seems to be paying off. So it may be better for Olivo to spend a season at Charlotte.

Only question is can the Sox afford to keep him down there. I'm sure none of us want to sit through another episode of the Mark and Josh show.

Kris Honel is being fed slowly because he was picked out of HS,I doubt you will see him with the Sox till 2005,he has to fill out a lot and get some stamina.

I for one will sit through half a season of the Mark and Josh show,if it means bringing up Miguel Olivo when he is ready to handle the pitching staff,or at the very least have a good understanding of handling the pitching staff,catcher is the one ONE position you simply cannot rush,it affects a hell of a lot more than the catcher himself,it affects the pitchers and the the rest of the infeild.Bringing him north without being ready for the sake of saving Josh or Mark's payroll is an injustice to the entire team.

But then again,what the hell do I know? ©

RKMeibalane
11-05-2002, 09:05 AM
:reinsy

"If promoting Olivio means we can lower the payroll, then that's exactly what we're going to do. Miguel will be the Opening Day starter at catcher."

RichH55
11-06-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by daver
Kris Honel is being fed slowly because he was picked out of HS,I doubt you will see him with the Sox till 2005,he has to fill out a lot and get some stamina.

I for one will sit through half a season of the Mark and Josh show,if it means bringing up Miguel Olivo when he is ready to handle the pitching staff,or at the very least have a good understanding of handling the pitching staff,catcher is the one ONE position you simply cannot rush,it affects a hell of a lot more than the catcher himself,it affects the pitchers and the the rest of the infeild.Bringing him north without being ready for the sake of saving Josh or Mark's payroll is an injustice to the entire team.

But then again,what the hell do I know? ©

I dont think that bringing Olivo north will have that much to do with payroll....as neither Paul nor MJ make alot...I think it will have more to do with the fact that as of today even expecting pretty decent growing pains Olivo is the best catcher in the system and all things considered equal he would put up better numbers than either MJ or Paul

RichH55
11-06-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by maurice
Pretty good guesses, though certainly optimistic. Heck, it's the time of year for optimism. A few notes:

1. Anyone who thinks they can accurately predict the performance (or even the identity) of the 2003 Sox rotation is nuts. Your guess is as good as mine. My guess: we'll see the same pitching staff that finished 2002 but with slightly improved stats overall.

2. I doubt Valentin will put up the numbers you predict. At this point in his career, he's basically a platoon player (riding the pine in favor of Graffy versus southpaws) with limited speed. I'd rather see Crash or CLee batting second, though the Sox don't have an ideal candidate for that spot in the order.

3. Your SB guesses are probably too high. This team isn't going to steal very may bases in 2003.

4. I have a gut feeling that CLee will have a better year than Paulie. Hopefully, they'll both be great.

5. I doubt that either Olivo or LTP will put up quality stats before the All-Star break, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think your sentiment matches pretty well with my predictions earlier in the thread