PDA

View Full Version : Draft Report Card

Daver
11-01-2002, 11:35 AM
From BA:

White Sox Draft Report Card
Best Pro Debut: Managers rated previously unheralded 3B Micah Schnurstein (7) as the No. 2 prospect in the Arizona League. He hit .332-3-48 and led the Rookie-level circuit with 48 RBIs and a league-record 26 doubles. LHP Daniel Haigwood (16) topped the AZL in wins and went 8-4, 2.28. OF Jeremy Reed (2) went right to low Class A and hit .319 with 17 steals.

Best Athlete: 1B Eric Keefner (22) played linebacker for Arizona State as a freshman before transferring to Mesa (Ariz.) CC. An Astros fourth-round pick out of high school, he has size, strength and speed but needs to get some of the football stiffness out of his body. Reed has decent all-around tools, and the White Sox considered him the best college outfielder in the draft.

Best Pure Hitter: Reed batted .366 to lead the U.S. college team last summer. Australian OF Thomas Brice (24) has masterful bat control and hit .480 in his first nine pro games before injuring his shoulder. He finished with a .327 average in Rookie ball.

Best Raw Power: Keefner and OF Seth Morris (21) are strong but have to make more contact to maximize their power. 3B Edgar Varela (31) may be a safer bet after hitting .330-8-40 in Rookie ball. Draft-and-follow OF Tom Collaro has more pop than any of them.

Fastest Runner: Reed runs a 6.75-second 60-yard dash. On a bunt, he can get from the left side of the plate to first base in 3.8 seconds.

Best Defensive Player: Schnurstein or Reed.

Best Fastball: RHP Todd Deininger (9) throws 91-94 mph with heavy sink. For sheer velocity, RHP Rick Hummel’s (32) fastball touches 96 but isn’t as lively or consistent.

Best Breaking Ball: LHP Royce Ring (1) repeats a curveball that grades as a 55 on the 20-80 scouting scale. RHP Josh Rupe (3) uses a violent delivery to unleash curves that range from a 30 to a 70.

Most Intriguing Background: Haigwood won the first 43 decisions of his high school career before losing in the Arkansas 2-A semifinals last spring. 2B Anthony Manuel’s (48) father Jerry manages the White Sox, while C Jeremy Paul’s (46) brother Josh catches for Chicago. Neither signed.

Closest To The Majors: Ring, a first-team All-America closer at San Diego State, throws three pitches for strikes, including a 91-92 mph fastball. He’s also lefthanded and the Sox need bullpen help, which aids his cause.

Best Late-Round Pick: Haigwood’s velocity is slightly below-average, but he has a knack for missing bats because he’s so deceptive.

The One Who Got Away: SS Chris Getz (6) has all-around tools but still needs to develop. He’ll benefit from deciding to attend Wake Forest.

Assessment: The White Sox have drafted conservatively since signing Joe Borchard for a record $5.3 million bonus in 2000. They targeted pitching, taking pitchers with 11 of their first 14 picks, but may have uncovered some hidden gems in Schnurstein, Haigwood and Brice.

Iwritecode
11-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Fastest Runner: Reed runs a 6.75-second 60-yard dash. On a bunt, he can get from the left side of the plate to first base in 3.8 seconds.

I used to could do that. Probably one of the biggest reasons I made the team my junior year in high school. We ran it twice and the first time I got horrible start and ended up with 4.?... Second time my coach looked at the time, then looked at me and said "What was your first time again?" I just grinned and said "not good". :cool:

bc2k
11-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks Daver, it's always nice to read about promising prospects I've never heard of (outside of Ring). Reed sounds like a hell of a player. I'm going to eagerly follow this guy's progress.

MikeKreevich
11-02-2002, 07:53 AM
Thanks Daver, for keeping us informed.