PDA

View Full Version : Per George Ofman...

Viva Magglio
11-01-2002, 10:34 AM
..."a former Cub is looking for a job with the White Sox." He did not say who but will do so at 11:00 a.m.

Randar68
11-01-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
..."a former Cub is looking for a job with the White Sox." He did not say who but will do so at 11:00 a.m.

Joe Girardi...

cheeses_h_rice
11-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Joe Girardi...

Make my 2003 World Series Champion t-shirt a Large, please.

Foulke You
11-01-2002, 11:01 AM
When are we going to learn? You don't tap the Cubs to improve your team. (Navarro anyone?) Let's just hope it isn't Fred McWhiff...

Viva Magglio
11-01-2002, 11:03 AM
It's Bruce Kimm!!!

FarmerAndy
11-01-2002, 11:04 AM
It's Bruce Kimm!!!

We're gonna battle!!!

duke of dorwood
11-01-2002, 11:16 AM
He IS a friend of KW

Randar68
11-01-2002, 11:22 AM
It's Bruce Kimm!!!

Where would they put him? Hopefully the Sox can put Razor Shines out to pasture, but that's way down there!

Daver
11-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Where would they put him? Hopefully the Sox can put Razor Shines out to pasture, but that's way down there!

Put him in Winston/Salem and bring Nick Leyya up here to be third base coach.

Iwritecode
11-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Make my 2003 World Series Champion t-shirt a Large, please.

There's a good chance it won't say White Sox across the front of it... :(:

voodoochile
11-01-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
There's a good chance it won't say White Sox across the front of it... :(:

Ahh the curse of being a Sox fan - realism is our constant companion...

I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi in a Sox uniform at all. He would be an improvement over MJ or Paul and would be a good tutor for Olivo. I thought of it when I saw the list of FA's and thought he would make a good pickup, provided they dump the other two...

bc2k
11-01-2002, 12:37 PM

Greg Maddux, please be Greg Maddux.

SoxxoS
11-01-2002, 12:49 PM
So who is the ex-cub we are looking at.

Please dont be Girardi...or McGriff...or Grace...or Jerome Walton :smile:

How about me?

Daver
11-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
So who is the ex-cub we are looking at.

Please dont be Girardi...or McGriff...or Grace...or Jerome Walton :smile:

How about me?

Viva already told us in this thread,former manager Bruce Kimm.

ChiSoxBobette
11-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Fred McWiff
:gulp:

Vsahajpal
11-01-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi in a Sox uniform at all. He would be an improvement over MJ or Paul and would be a good tutor for Olivo. I thought of it when I saw the list of FA's and thought he would make a good pickup, provided they dump the other two...

Joe Girardi has to be the worst hitter in baseball, if they want him to tutor Olivo, they should make him a bench coach, or bullpen coach.

His catching skills are overrated too

MarkEdward
11-01-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Joe Girardi has to be the worst hitter in baseball, if they want him to tutor Olivo, they should make him a bench coach, or bullpen coach.

His catching skills are overrated too

Totally agree. Girardi had a line of .226/.275/.291 for the 2002 season. Just stirring! He offers nothing that Mark Johnson can't do defensively. And what kind of mentor could Girardi be? He will be able to teach Olivo how to hit terribly for 14 seasons and still have a job.

NewyorkSoxFan
11-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Totally agree. Girardi had a line of .226/.275/.291 for the 2002 season. Just stirring! He offers nothing that Mark Johnson can't do defensively. And what kind of mentor could Girardi be? He will be able to teach Olivo how to hit terribly for 14 seasons and still have a job.

That is so ridiculous it doesn't merit a response. I am sure that working with the cutting edge coaching staff of Don Baylor and crew did wonders for him. How you can say he doesn't offer more than MJ is ridiculous. How many other players struggled with the flubs to leave and actually be a functioning member of baseball society?

NYSF

Daver
11-02-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
That is so ridiculous it doesn't merit a response. I am sure that working with the cutting edge coaching staff of Don Baylor and crew did wonders for him. How you can say he doesn't offer more than MJ is ridiculous. How many other players struggled with the flubs to leave and actually be a functioning member of baseball society?

NYSF

If you base it on the numbers alone MarkEdward is right,and Johnson is a hell of a lot younger than Girardi is.

Just what the Sox need,another aging veteran catcher ala Sandy Alomar........

NewyorkSoxFan
11-02-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by daver
If you base it on the numbers alone MarkEdward is right,and Johnson is a hell of a lot younger than Girardi is.

Just what the Sox need,another aging veteran catcher ala Sandy Alomar........

That's not a fair comparison Sandy has been hurt his entire career. We don't need Girardi to be Mike Piazza our line up is much better than the flubs, we need him to be steadying to the pitching staff, and I don't care about his age I think we have plenty of kids if he gets tired.

NYSF

Daver
11-02-2002, 04:03 PM
I think we have plenty of kids if he gets tired.

NYSF

How many catchers do you expect the Sox to carry on the roster?

NewyorkSoxFan
11-02-2002, 04:07 PM
How many catchers do you expect the Sox to carry on the roster?

Only 2 of course Olivo and a backup.

Daver
11-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Only 2 of course Olivo and a backup.

I wouldn't be so sure that Olivo will come north next spring,it is real likely we will see the stunning combo of Mark Johnson and Josh Paul.

NewyorkSoxFan
11-02-2002, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that Olivo will come north next spring,it is real likely we will see the stunning combo of Mark Johnson and Josh Paul.

God could we end the JP experiment, nice kid but he's a pinch runner for some team. Olivo is definitely coming north KW has got to show off his trade trophy.

NYSF

Daver
11-02-2002, 04:15 PM
God could we end the JP experiment, nice kid but he's a pinch runner for some team. Olivo is definitely coming north KW has got to show off his trade trophy.

NYSF

But do you bring him north at the cost of the pitching staff?

He needs at least half a season at Charlotte to hone his game calling skills,the only part of his game that is not ready for the majors,but the most important part.......

NewyorkSoxFan
11-02-2002, 04:20 PM
But do you bring him north at the cost of the pitching staff?

He needs at least half a season at Charlotte to hone his game calling skills,the only part of his game that is not ready for the majors,but the most important part.......

I agree with you on this one Dave, his skills their are suspect. The only way to solve that problem is go out and get a experienced but solid catcher. I don't think you send him down, I think you catch him twice a week and learn on the fly.

NYSF

Daver
11-02-2002, 04:24 PM
I agree with you on this one Dave, his skills their are suspect. The only way to solve that problem is go out and get a experienced but solid catcher. I don't think you send him down, I think you catch him twice a week and learn on the fly.

NYSF

There are exactly two free agents that fit that bill,both will be looking for big paydays,Dan Wilson and Ivan Rodriguez.Both will be looking for fairly long term deals to boot.

NewyorkSoxFan
11-02-2002, 04:28 PM
There are exactly two free agents that fit that bill,both will be looking for big paydays,Dan Wilson and Ivan Rodriguez.Both will be looking for fairly long term deals to boot.

I think the Free agent market will be different this year, teams won't be maxing out marginal players this year. I Rod might get his but I think Dan Wilson might be in for a rood awakening. But of course the Sox will wait until training camp and find some other teams sludge.

NYSF

Daver
11-02-2002, 04:48 PM
I think the Free agent market will be different this year, teams won't be maxing out marginal players this year. I Rod might get his but I think Dan Wilson might be in for a rood awakening. But of course the Sox will wait until training camp and find some other teams sludge.

NYSF
The list of FA catchers

Eduardo Perez, c
Matt Walbeck, c
Greg Myers, c;
Ivan Rodriguez, c
Joe Girardi, c
Sandy Alomar Jr., c
Jorge Fabregas, c
Keith Osik, c
Mike DiFelice, c
Tom Lampkin, c

And thats all folks!

OneDog
11-02-2002, 05:34 PM
Add Todd Pratt to that list. Unfortunately, knowing the depth of Jerry's studpidity, they might actually think of making a run at him.

Daver
11-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Add Todd Pratt to that list. Unfortunately, knowing the depth of Jerry's studpidity, they might actually think of making a run at him.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck