PDA

View Full Version : Prospect ten


Daver
10-31-2002, 03:18 PM
From strikethree.com

Name Age Organization Level
1. Joe Borchard 23 Chicago White Sox Majors
As much power as any prospect on the planet.

2. Marlon Byrd 25 Philadelphia Majors
Rejoice, for the Doug Glanville era is over.

3. Rocco Baldelli 21 Tampa Bay AAA
Call it a gut feeling, but he's in for a long year in 2003.

4. Grady Sizemore 20 Cleveland High-A
Tremendously underrated hitter. Great swing.

5. Jeff Francouer 18 Atlanta Rookie
Could be number one on this list next year.

6. Ryan Ludwick 24 Texas Majors
A poor man's Joe Borchard. Might end up in right or left.

7. Alex Escobar 24 Cleveland Majors
Former teenage phenom still trying to make it.

8. David Krynzel 20 Milwaukee AA
Facing a big test after getting overmatched in AA to end year.

9. Jamal Strong 24 Seattle AA
The center field version of Luis Castillo, perhaps with less power.

10. Wily Mo Pena 20 Cincinatti Majors
His career will be hampered by his major-league contract.

OfficerKarkovice
10-31-2002, 03:32 PM
one more comment from him:

The White Sox have had high expectations for Joe Borchard since they bought him away from the quarterback position at Stanford. In light of those standards, some people believe that he's been a disappointment, but I think they are missing the bigger picture. Borchard can really swing the stick and has impressive power. He's not a star defensively, but his bat will more than make up for that. If he becomes a little more selective at the plate, he could easily develop into an all-star cleanup hitter.

RichH55
10-31-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
one more comment from him:


But how will he ever take over for the immortal Aaron Rowand, who took over for the immortal Chris Singleton?

Iguana775
10-31-2002, 10:20 PM
if thomas leaves, i am thinking lee will play DH and LTP will play left.

Daver
10-31-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
if thomas leaves, i am thinking lee will play DH and LTP will play left.

You waste Borchard's talent by playing him in left.

MikeKreevich
11-01-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by daver
You waste Borchard's talent by playing him in left.
A bit of an exaggeration. Hopefully, he won't be playing right anytime soon. As for center, you don't see too many 6'5" 230 lb. players out there for obvious reasons. It would be nice to see someone in leftfield who could throw out a runner at home.

hold2dibber
11-01-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
if thomas leaves, i am thinking lee will play DH and LTP will play left.

I'm no scout, but based on what I know, I don't think Borchard is ready for the majors yet. His AAA numbers last year were above average, but nothing to write home about. I know he was hurt at the beginning of the year, but he still racked up a ton of strikeouts against AAA pitching. I think he'll be a good major league player in 2004 (or maybe even the second half of 2003), but I don't think he's quite ready yet.

Plus, Rowand ain't gonna cut it in CF, so if Frank goes and CLee moves to DH, we're going to be short handed in the OF, even if Borchard is ready now.

kermittheefrog
11-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm no scout, but based on what I know, I don't think Borchard is ready for the majors yet. His AAA numbers last year were above average, but nothing to write home about. I know he was hurt at the beginning of the year, but he still racked up a ton of strikeouts against AAA pitching. I think he'll be a good major league player in 2004 (or maybe even the second half of 2003), but I don't think he's quite ready yet.

Plus, Rowand ain't gonna cut it in CF, so if Frank goes and CLee moves to DH, we're going to be short handed in the OF, even if Borchard is ready now.

So you're saying they should treat him like they treated Crede?

Daver
11-02-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
A bit of an exaggeration. Hopefully, he won't be playing right anytime soon. As for center, you don't see too many 6'5" 230 lb. players out there for obvious reasons. It would be nice to see someone in leftfield who could throw out a runner at home.

The trend of athletes getting bigger and faster applies to baseball too,I don't see a problem having Borchard play center feild,his instinct is on par with Rowand's and his range may be a bit better,and he gets a better initial read off the ball,add to that the fact that he will improve at this level and I have no problem with bringing him north next spring as a center feilder.