PDA

View Full Version : The Score reports

Jjav829
10-31-2002, 03:12 PM
George Ofman reported on The Score that sources have told him that the Baltimore Orioles want no part of Thomas.

He says the Red Sox may still have a little interest.

BTW, Nomar Garciaparra rumored to be available via trade. I can just see him in a White Sox uniform now. Ahhh....

Daver
10-31-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

BTW, Nomar Garciaparra rumored to be available via trade. I can just see him in a White Sox uniform now. Ahhh....

Where the heck would Nomahh play in Chicago,we already have a SS..................

Jjav829
10-31-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by daver
Where the heck would Nomahh play in Chicago,we already have a SS..................

Well, I think he would look great in CF. Rowand can go to 3rd, and Crede over to 2nd. Sounds good to me!

duke of dorwood
10-31-2002, 03:43 PM
They want to dump that bum Nomar and make room for me

:hitless

Paulwny
10-31-2002, 06:17 PM

The Bosox would like Thome. If they don't acquire him I expect them to at least talk to Frank.

Foulke You
10-31-2002, 06:23 PM
George Ofman reported on The Score that sources have told him that the Baltimore Orioles want no part of Thomas.

Rumor or no rumor, Nomar isn't going anywhere. The man is bigger than Jesus in Boston. They would have mass hangings in Beantown for the people responsible for trading him.

Picturing Nomar in a White Sox uniform is a nice dream to have though. Nomar is probably my favorite non-White Sox player. The guy is super in the clutch and a gold glove at shortstop. (Sigh) It's depressing to know that every time a big name player is rumored to be available you can INSTANTLY scratch the White Sox off the list of suitors.

Paulwny
10-31-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
[B It's depressing to know that every time a big name player is rumored to be available you can INSTANTLY scratch the White Sox off the list of suitors. [/B]

Even if JR wanted to spend $$$, it would be interesting to know how many players have in their contracts the sox listed as a "no trade to team".

doublem23
10-31-2002, 06:56 PM

Picturing Nomar in a White Sox uniform is a nice dream to have though. Nomar is probably my favorite non-White Sox player. The guy is super in the clutch and a gold glove at shortstop. (Sigh) It's depressing to know that every time a big name player is rumored to be available you can INSTANTLY scratch the White Sox off the list of suitors.

How can he be a Gold Glover when he lead American League shortstops in errors in 2002? You mean, errors are decieving?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

:hitless
Shut up!

maurice
11-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Nomar isn't going anywhere. The man is bigger than Jesus in Boston.

Jesus...maybe. There is no way that he is bigger than Basketball Jesus (Larry Bird), though.

Nomar is probably my favorite non-White Sox player.

I second that. I always favor the twitchier players (even if it is due to crack cocaine withdrawal -- e.g., Tony Phillips).

Nellie_Fox
11-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
How can he be a Gold Glover when he lead American League shortstops in errors in 2002? You mean, errors are decieving?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
No, it means that the Gold Glove award is, more often than not, an award to the best hitter at the position who doesn't embarrass himself with the glove. It rarely goes to a purely defensive player except when someone is so clearly superior that they can't ignore it.

RKMeibalane
11-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
No, it means that the Gold Glove award is, more often than not, an award to the best hitter at the position who doesn't embarrass himself with the glove. It rarely goes to a purely defensive player except when someone is so clearly superior that they can't ignore it.

Exactly. That's why Ozzie Smith won so many Gold Gloves. He was by far the best defensive shortstop of his era, and he is probably the best defensive shortstop of all time.

TornLabrum
11-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Exactly. That's why Ozzie Smith won so many Gold Gloves. He was by far the best defensive shortstop of his era, and he is probably the best defensive shortstop of all time.

And why Rafael Palmeiro won the gold glove a couple of years ago after playing something like 5 games in which he wasn't the DH.

voodoochile
11-02-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
And why Rafael Palmeiro won the gold glove a couple of years ago after playing something like 5 games in which he wasn't the DH.

In fairness to the voters, hasn't Omar Vizcaino won a bunch of GG's in an era when the best group of offensive SS's ever is playing?

I agree that things aren't always perfect, but when someone does stand out above the rest defensively, they do get the votes. Though it matters more at classically defensive positions (like SS) than it does at others where offense is more highly prized.

I agree, Palmeiro winning the award was a joke...

oldcomiskey
11-02-2002, 11:02 AM
maybe not viscaino--but visquel definatley.. as for the young man who suggested Ozzie may be the best ss of all time---theres a guy names Apericio Id like to introduce you to

voodoochile
11-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
maybe not viscaino--but visquel definatley.. as for the young man who suggested Ozzie may be the best ss of all time---theres a guy names Apericio Id like to introduce you to

Whoops, brainfart...LOL... yeah, Vizquel that's the guy... Thanks for clearing that up. I am already shutting down the part of my brain that thinks baseball, after all the season was entirely forgetable and my Buckeyes are on a roll...