PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign LHP Mike Sirotka


Vsahajpal
10-30-2002, 05:48 PM
Interesting move, hope he regains his 2000 form.

Daver
10-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Interesting move, hope he regains his 2000 form.

I have to wonder why the sCrUBS would do that based on the fact that Mike won't even be close to being able to pitch till mid-season at the earliest.

But then again this a team that signed Todd Hundley to a huge contract...........

:)

Vsahajpal
10-30-2002, 06:01 PM
It's a minor league deal, and he's a non-roster invite to Spring Training so I'm assuming he's healthy enough. Worth taking a flier on, I guess.

RichH55
10-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
It's a minor league deal, and he's a non-roster invite to Spring Training so I'm assuming he's healthy enough. Worth taking a flier on, I guess.


He never really wanted to leave Chicago either...the cubs move was hinted at since the Wells trade....an excellent risk taken by the Cubs...if they can get Lieber back with an incentive deal as well then they have made some real smart decesions that even if they don't work out havent cost them much of anything

Lip Man 1
10-30-2002, 08:44 PM
The question was asked why would the Cubs do this.

Why did the Cubs sign Bobby Hill?
Why did the Cubs sign Harry Caray?

Simple...it's to embarass the Sox and even if Sirotka NEVER throws a pitch for them, it was a brilliant PR stroke!

Lip

hold2dibber
10-30-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The question was asked why would the Cubs do this.

Why did the Cubs sign Bobby Hill?
Why did the Cubs sign Harry Caray?

Simple...it's to embarass the Sox and even if Sirotka NEVER throws a pitch for them, it was a brilliant PR stroke!

Lip

A brilliant PR stroke? How? Is the signing of Sirotka to a minor league deal going to get more fannies in the seats at Wrigley? Or result in even more Sox fans staying away from Comiskey? Most Cub "fans" probably don't even know who Mike Sirotka is.

doublem23
10-30-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
A brilliant PR stroke? How? Is the signing of Sirotka to a minor league deal going to get more fannies in the seats at Wrigley? Or result in even more Sox fans staying away from Comiskey? Most Cub "fans" probably don't even know who Mike Sirotka is.

Just ignore his blatant anti-Soxism. It's much easier that way.

bc2k
10-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The question was asked why would the Cubs do this.

Why did the Cubs sign Bobby Hill?
Why did the Cubs sign Harry Caray?

Simple...it's to embarass the Sox and even if Sirotka NEVER throws a pitch for them, it was a brilliant PR stroke!

Lip

Right, they do this kind of thing to get under our skin. Julian Tavarez and Joe Girardi are free agents...

Jjav829
10-30-2002, 10:10 PM
Well gee, heres a wild thought. Maybe the Cubs signed him because they have no left handed starters, and figure that they might as well take a cheap risk on a guy who was a pretty good pitcher a few years ago, and hope that he can come back and pitch well. What a whacky idea by those crazy Cubs.


Nah, they probably did it just to screw us Sox fans. I can just hear them laughing at us right now.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2002, 10:37 PM
Gang:

For those of you who aren't willing to consider this, then explain to me HOW the Cubs just "happened" to sign three folks who were associated with the Sox in Caray, Hill and Sirotka.

There's an old saying, if something happens once it's an accident (like the Sox winning 95 games in 2000), twice it's a coincidence, three times and you've got a trend.

By the way Double 23, "anti-Soxism?" that's funny considering I've passionately rooted for them probably longer then you've been alive. Unlike you I am no longer willing to cut the organization ANY slack or be willing to take any more excuses.
My philosophy is best worded this way..."Shut up, spend a ton of money and start winning..." (like over 70% of the teams in MLB that have been to a World Series since 1959)

If Uncle Jerry can't (or won't) pay the freight, get the hell out.

Lip

WinningUgly!
10-30-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The question was asked why would the Cubs do this.

Why did the Cubs sign Bobby Hill?
Why did the Cubs sign Harry Caray?

Simple...it's to embarass the Sox and even if Sirotka NEVER throws a pitch for them, it was a brilliant PR stroke!

Lip

Yeah, I'll never forget how embarrassed I was back when they signed Jason Bere. I guess Gene Lamont is next. I'm surprised Wimpy isn't replacing Joe Carter!

cheeses_h_rice
10-30-2002, 11:00 PM
Lip, I think you give too much credit to the Cubs. Yeah, I do believe that taking Harry under their wing was probably a jab at the Sox, but Hill? Sirotka?

What makes these guys any different than Ron Coomer, Gary Gaetti, Flash Gordon, or any one of their innumerable reclamation projects over the past 10 years?

Sirotka is a potential wildcard, left-handed stud, or at least an innings-eater if he can come back from his injury. I think it was a smart, low-risk move for the Cubs. Lord knows Siro wasn't coming back to this organization after that whole Shouldergate fiasco.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2002, 11:02 PM
Hey Winning:

I never said it was the Cubs ONLY consideration when making moves HOWEVER, I strongly feel it is a PART of their rational especially when all things are equal.

It's no accident that the people I named along with (as you pointed out )Bere and even Eric Soderholm wound up being signed by the Cubs.

If you don't think that's part of their decision making process (i.e. trying to embarass the Sox), how do you explain the acqusations that a Sox fan destroyed the ivy in June?

You do remember the front page headlines don't you? (And I'm still waiting for those same headlines to show the apology...)

While the Sox have conceeded this market to the Cubs, the Cubs themselves feel they still have to try to do what they can to maintain their hold on it. (That's really ironic when you think about it, since the Sox don't need any help in embarassing themselves off the field and from a PR standpoint.)

Lip

Kilroy
10-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hey Winning:

I never said it was the Cubs ONLY consideration when making moves HOWEVER, I strongly feel it is a PART of their rational especially when all things are equal.

It's no accident that the people I named along with (as you pointed out )Bere and even Eric Soderholm wound up being signed by the Cubs.

You forgot Robert Machado, Kevin Tapani, Lance Johnson, and Luis Salazar. Man, the Sox should be embarassed.

Listen, I love a good conspiracy theory, but I have to go along with WU. This is simple Cub-nomics. To the average Cub fan, this looks like the signing of a name free agent. Its a name they recognize because they've seen it in the papers a lot. The Sox are no more a concern of the Cubs than the local pony league team. There is nothing embarassing about any of these players being formerly of the Sox in some way and then becoming Cubs property.

Stop inventing an issue. Don't the Sox have enuf real ones without the made up nonsensical ones?

WinningUgly!
10-30-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hey Winning:

I never said it was the Cubs ONLY consideration when making moves HOWEVER, I strongly feel it is a PART of their rational especially when all things are equal.

It's no accident that the people I named along with (as you pointed out )Bere and even Eric Soderholm wound up being signed by the Cubs.

If you don't think that's part of their decision making process (i.e. trying to embarass the Sox), how do you explain the acqusations that a Sox fan destroyed the ivy in June?

You do remember the front page headlines don't you? (And I'm still waiting for those same headlines to show the apology...)

While the Sox have conceeded this market to the Cubs, the Cubs themselves feel they still have to try to do what they can to maintain their hold on it. (That's really ironic when you think about it, since the Sox don't need any help in embarassing themselves off the field and from a PR standpoint.)

Lip


There's no doubt the Harry Caray thing was done to embarrass the Sox & I'd say there's a good chance that factored into them grabbing Bobby Hill too. Looks to me like the Sirotka deal is just another low risk move, similar to some of the others the Cubs have made over the past few of seasons with pitchers coming off of injuries(Alan Benes, Tom Gordon, Todd Van Poppel,etc.) Some have panned out some have not. With the huge amount of player movement in today's game, it's inevitable that more and more former White Sox will end up on the north side. I'm sure that the sCrUBS would love for every one of them to put up huge numbers so that they can rub it in our face--Just like Sox fans keep wanting to do with Jon Garland, to them. The Sox have acquired a few other ex-sCrUBS in recent years as well, but like I said with all the player movement it's no big deal. Not like Ron Santo!:D:

Vsahajpal
10-31-2002, 12:05 AM
The Cubs didn't sign Sirotka to stick it to the Sox. He signed a minor league deal, and will be a non-roster invitee to Spring Training, bottom line. If they really want to stick it to the Sox, they will sign Hurt. Sirotka is a risk-free investment, and a lefty, two things the Cubs are always sniffing at. Last year it was Donovan Osborne and Wilfredo Rodriguez...and to a lesser extent, the acquisition of Jesus Sanchez.


As for Hill, you could be right. The only argument I'd have is that the Cubs system was sorely lacking middle infielders, and thus they selected SS Montanez and 2B/SS Hill in the first two rounds.

bc2k
10-31-2002, 01:17 AM
They can have Sirotka and we'll take Prior as he follows Greg Maddux's path. Vsahajpal, I remember early in the 2002 season when Prior was in the minors, that the Cubs wanted to wait on calling him up so they could get an extra season out of him before he becomes a free agent. For rookies, how does that work? Do they have to pitch a certain number of innings, or be on the roster for a certain length of time? And finally, when is Prior eligible for arbitration and free agency?

doublem23
10-31-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

As for Hill, you could be right. The only argument I'd have is that the Cubs system was sorely lacking middle infielders, and thus they selected SS Montanez and 2B/SS Hill in the first two rounds.

Of course not. They're just sticking it to the Sox. Forget about any baseball logic the move may make.

SoxFan14
10-31-2002, 10:32 AM
I didn't think Sirotka was that great of a pitcher before his injury so I'm actually hoping he makes the Cubs out of spring training. I'll have a great time watching him implode for the Cubs and then blame the defense afterwards. If you remember with the Sox, he did that WAY too often. Let the Cubs deal with that type of attitude.....we don't need it.

cheeses_h_rice
10-31-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan14
I didn't think Sirotka was that great of a pitcher before his injury so I'm actually hoping he makes the Cubs out of spring training. I'll have a great time watching him implode for the Cubs and then blame the defense afterwards. If you remember with the Sox, he did that WAY too often. Let the Cubs deal with that type of attitude.....we don't need it.

Your memory is flawed. Siro tended to bitch when he pitched well but had some defensive lapses behind him. He rarely imploded, IMO.

duke of dorwood
10-31-2002, 11:01 AM
I wish Mike well. We havent been the same since he got hurt.

SoxFan14
10-31-2002, 01:43 PM
No, I remember quite a bit about Sirotka and while he did have defensive lapses behind him, he should not have kept using that as the reason why he didn't win. I even remember JM stepping up and saying Siro had to stop blaming the defense.

cheeses_h_rice
10-31-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan14
No, I remember quite a bit about Sirotka and while he did have defensive lapses behind him, he should not have kept using that as the reason why he didn't win. I even remember JM stepping up and saying Siro had to stop blaming the defense.

Yes, he did blame the defense in those hard-luck situations where he pitched well but someone made an error behind him. You said he imploded and then blamed the defense, which isn't the case. I always thought he pitched well, but that he probably should not have pointed any fingers in those tough loss situations.

Vsahajpal
10-31-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
They can have Sirotka and we'll take Prior as he follows Greg Maddux's path. Vsahajpal, I remember early in the 2002 season when Prior was in the minors, that the Cubs wanted to wait on calling him up so they could get an extra season out of him before he becomes a free agent. For rookies, how does that work? Do they have to pitch a certain number of innings, or be on the roster for a certain length of time? And finally, when is Prior eligible for arbitration and free agency?

Unless Larry Himes is re-hired, no chance!

Any player with three or more full years of major league service is eligible for salary arbitration.

Some players with less than three years of service also qualify, as super-two players. In order to qualify as a super-two, a player must have at least 86 days of major league service in the previous season, and be among the top 17 percent in total major league service of all players between two and three years of major league service.


For a player to qualify as a major league free agent, he must have at least six full years of major league service

Since Prior signed a 4-year major league contract, the super two eligibility is meaningless. Basically, they pushed back his free agency a year.

SoxFan14
10-31-2002, 03:13 PM
I probably shouldn't have used the word "imploded", my bad. My main point was that he always seemed to blame others, which got quite irritating.

bc2k
10-31-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Unless Larry Himes is re-hired, no chance!

Any player with three or more full years of major league service is eligible for salary arbitration.

Some players with less than three years of service also qualify, as super-two players. In order to qualify as a super-two, a player must have at least 86 days of major league service in the previous season, and be among the top 17 percent in total major league service of all players between two and three years of major league service.


For a player to qualify as a major league free agent, he must have at least six full years of major league service

Since Prior signed a 4-year major league contract, the super two eligibility is meaningless. Basically, they pushed back his free agency a year.

Thank you for that informative response. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-31-2002, 04:19 PM
Whether Sirotka ever imploded or blamed his teammates, I'm pretty sure we can all agree he is still the same WHINER he was when he played for the Sox. Check out the quote.

"I wish I had made a better decision not to go to Japan and I wish they would have protected me a little better," he said of the Sox.

Moan, moan, moan. First he admits it was HIS idea to pitch in Japan, but he still tries to pin part of the blame (even two years later!) on the White Sox. Yeah, right. Like it was the Sox' idea to let a valuable starting pitcher risk injury to his arm playing a meaningless exhibition game half the world away.

That's the Sirotka I remember. Always crying in his beer about being snake-bitten. I am soooooooo glad he is gone!

:dumbash
"Me, too!"

:XL
"Me, three!"

:KW
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. Whoops... that was the wrong plea, I guess!"

:tool
"Nevermind, you idiot. Caveat emptor."

:reinsy
"That means 'let the buyer beware', for those of you not smart enough to turn a $20 million investment into a $200 million franchise. NOW SPEND MORE MONEY OR I'LL MOVE THE CLUB!"

doublem23
10-31-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan14
I probably shouldn't have used the word "imploded", my bad. My main point was that he always seemed to blame others, which got quite irritating.

Because he pitched well enough to win and other people screwed up their job.

Have you ever pitched a really good game only to have it ruined by a stupid error behind you? You get really, really pissed off.

RichH55
10-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan14
I didn't think Sirotka was that great of a pitcher before his injury so I'm actually hoping he makes the Cubs out of spring training. I'll have a great time watching him implode for the Cubs and then blame the defense afterwards. If you remember with the Sox, he did that WAY too often. Let the Cubs deal with that type of attitude.....we don't need it.


I never thought he was an ace, but he was still a good pitcher....I'll be cheering for him....its not like he left the Sox because he wanted to, and missing two years with injuries might warrant some pity, eh? Put me in the column hoping he makes the Cubs and does well