PDA

View Full Version : Clemens available

Daver
10-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Or is he still washed up? (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1030/1453313.html)

RichH55
10-30-2002, 05:11 PM
I doubt if he is even on the White Sox radar, and Im not so sure he should be....playing with the Sox(the record and the stadium support) and we could see the Rocket lose interest real fast and watch that waistline explode....He would get his 300th, yes, but it would be like watching Seaver(sp?) near the end of his run

harwar
10-31-2002, 09:01 AM
I was screaming for Shu to pick him up when he had the chance instead of albert bell.The very second i heard the Sox were getting bell my heart sank as i knew it would be a disaster.With what we paid bell we could have got clements AND a fine DH from TX AND another pitcher.Oh well,theres no reason to cry over spilt milk,and as we all no,theres no crying in baseball.

SoxxoS
10-31-2002, 10:38 AM
I guarantee if we picked up Roger Clemens, he would have an ERA above 4.50 for the year. Guaranteed.

NUCatsFan
10-31-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I guarantee if we picked up Roger Clemens, he would have an ERA above 4.50 for the year. Guaranteed.

And what was Todd Ritchie's ERA? Hmmmm....

jortafan
10-31-2002, 11:36 AM
I'd sooner have David Wells back. Positive publicity from Clemens getting Win Number 300 on the South Side ain't worth putting up with his age and the amount of money he'd want to come here.

voodoochile
10-31-2002, 12:02 PM
Rumors are he wants to sign with a Texas squad so he can finish his career near home. Look for the Rangers to make a serious run at him.

How come the Yankees can afford to pay him $10 million to not pitch for them and the Sox can't afford $10 million for their whole starting staff?

:reinsy
"It's not my fault. Ask the fans. They are to blame..."

jortafan
10-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
How come the Yankees can afford to pay him $10 million to not pitch for them and the Sox can't afford $10 million for their whole starting staff?

Because the Yankees have the backing of their YES Network, which pumps massive broadcast bucks into the team's operation. By comparison, when Eddie Einhorn tried to do something similar with the Sox, the best he could come up with was the ill-fated SportsVision. We all remember how that turned out.

RKMeibalane
10-31-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Because the Yankees have the backing of their YES Network, which pumps massive broadcast bucks into the team's operation. By comparison, when Eddie Einhorn tried to do something similar with the Sox, the best he could come up with was the ill-fated SportsVision. We all remember how that turned out.

Forgive my ignorance, but what was SportsVision?

voodoochile
10-31-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Forgive my ignorance, but what was SportsVision?

It was the precursor to Sportsnet, except the Sox tried to go PPV before people wanted to even pay cable. It was not a good decision and just another example of the crap that Sox fans have had to put up with since these two bought the team.

Even back then they were looking for ways to maximize revenue without ever putting money back into the team...

:reinsy
"if you fans had only paid to watch the Sox on TV back in the early 80's, you'd have a winner (snicker) on the field (guffaw) today (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)... Man, that's hard to say with a straight face. Let's try it again. Think you can cut the laughter when you put that quote in print?"

jortafan
10-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Also, don't forget that it was the shift to SportsVision that caused Harry Caray to want to leave the Sox, since he feared he would wind up broadcasting games on a station that NO one was watching.

NewyorkSoxFan
11-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Trust me guys I watched Clemens all year and he is now a "five and dive" pitcher. He really seemed to struggle after the fifth inning. It's not that we don't need PR, but I don't think anyone remembers or cares that Tom Terrific won his 300th in a Sox uniform. Besides he thinks he can still get 10 million dollars somewhere. I think Hicks and the Terrible Rangers would be a perfect fit. One less team for us to worry about.

NYSF