PDA

View Full Version : BA's top ten FA's

Daver
10-30-2002, 02:49 PM
Here it is.

Top 10 Free Agents Rank. Player, Pos., Team
The Skinny

Jim Thome, 1b, Indians
Cleveland will fight hard–and pay well–to keep its slugger.

Greg Maddux, rhp, Braves
Which one of its mainstays, if either, will Atlanta retain?

Tom Glavine, lhp, Braves
A Brave his entire career, he’d look strange in another uniform.

Ivan Rodriguez, c, Rangers
Teams will have to decide how much catching is left in Pudge.

Jeff Kent, 2b, Giants
Redefined offense at second, but won’t redefine market value.

Cliff Floyd, of, Red Sox
Injury history, offensive slowdown in second half may drop his price.

Edgardo Alfonzo, 2b/3b, Mets
Showed defensive versatility in ’02; needs to rediscover pop at plate.

Jamie Moyer, lhp, Mariners
He’s 40, but he’s also lefthanded and relies on control, not velocity.

John Olerud, 1b, Mariners
20 more HRs and 60 more RBIs than Mark Grace from ages 30-33.

Ray Durham, 2b, Athletics
May not get as much as he’d like with Kent and Alfonzo on the market.

duke of dorwood
10-30-2002, 03:38 PM
I'm stunned that Paul Byrd, a younger pitcher, isnt on that list. I cant believe he'd fall thru the cracks down to where we'd have a chance at him.

RichH55
10-30-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I'm stunned that Paul Byrd, a younger pitcher, isnt on that list. I cant believe he'd fall thru the cracks down to where we'd have a chance at him.

Isnt Byrd like 32? Well I guess that does qualify as younger, but not by much......Give me Moyer and his 82 mph fastball any day of the week

hold2dibber
10-30-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

I think Byrd is okay, but I don't see any reason to think he's going to be a world beater any time soon. Plus, he's had injury problems in his career. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox pick him up, but not for a ton of $ or more than 2 years.

Daver
10-30-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think Byrd is okay, but I don't see any reason to think he's going to be a world beater any time soon. Plus, he's had injury problems in his career. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox pick him up, but not for a ton of $ or more than 2 years.

Byrd is likely to re-sign with the Royals.

idseer
10-30-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by daver
Here it is.
Ivan Rodriguez, c, Rangers
Teams will have to decide how much catching is left in Pudge.

how strange is this idea?

assuming frank is gone, sign irod for about $10M ... 2 or 3 years, maybe longer, as a DH! let him catch the occasional game but mostly help olivo along as our catcher of the future.
he's about 3 years younger than frank and should fill in nicely in franks absence with the additional bonus of shoring up the catching position. maybe dh'ing will allow him to play longer with fewer injuries!

Daver
10-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by idseer
how strange is this idea?

assuming frank is gone, sign irod for about $10M ... 2 or 3 years, maybe longer, as a DH! let him catch the occasional game but mostly help olivo along as our catcher of the future.
he's about 3 years younger than frank and should fill in nicely in franks absence with the additional bonus of shoring up the catching position. maybe dh'ing will allow him to play longer with fewer injuries!

I mentioned this in another thread,but I will repeat it here,Ivan has been quoted more than once that he will not accept playing any position that is not catcher,and will probably put language in his next contract to guarantee that he plays behind the plate.

idseer
10-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by daver
I mentioned this in another thread,but I will repeat it here,Ivan has been quoted more than once that he will not accept playing any position that is not catcher,and will probably put language in his next contract to guarantee that he plays behind the plate.

sorry, i missed that.
if true then maybe he's another one concerned only with himself and not the ultimate good of the team.
it seems obvious catching is too hard on the guy and you'd think he'd want to prolong his own career.

Daver
10-30-2002, 06:37 PM
sorry, i missed that.
if true then maybe he's another one concerned only with himself and not the ultimate good of the team.
it seems obvious catching is too hard on the guy and you'd think he'd want to prolong his own career.

As a former catcher I can relate to his wishes,I would not want to move from behind the plate,there is a mindset that goes with the position that you don't feel playing anywhere else on the feild.

That and the fact that his talents are wasted at any other position makes me think the best place for him is behind the plate,and he does not fit in the DH role all that well,not playing on the feild would distract from his overall play in my opinion.

Randar68
10-30-2002, 07:02 PM
sorry, i missed that.

Not the first person to call him selfish. Many of his pitchers in the past have privately complained about his game-calling as he would call fastballs in running counts to give himself a better chance of throwing guys out just in case they were to go.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2002, 07:47 PM
And don't look for the Sox to sign ANY of those top ten!

Lip