PDA

View Full Version : Making Room for Frank?


duke of dorwood
10-30-2002, 02:31 PM
The Orioles' pitching plans for next year started taking shape yesterday when Pat Hentgen signed a contract that will keep him in Baltimore next season, with an option for 2004.

The club held a $6 million option for next season, but they chose to use the $600,000 buyout and then renegotiate at a lesser price. Terms were not disclosed.

RKMeibalane
10-30-2002, 06:23 PM
It's possible they may be making room for Thomas, but it's too early in the negotiating period for anything definite to have been set. Frank has six weeks to field offers from other teams. I expect him to look at what Baltimore offers, but I would be surprised to see him leave. The only person that can keep Thomas out of Chicago is Ken Williams, and if he does that, he needs to be prepared to stay indoors for the remainder of the offseason. Otherwise, he might get jumped by angry Sox fans.

RichH55
10-30-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It's possible they may be making room for Thomas, but it's too early in the negotiating period for anything definite to have been set. Frank has six weeks to field offers from other teams. I expect him to look at what Baltimore offers, but I would be surprised to see him leave. The only person that can keep Thomas out of Chicago is Ken Williams, and if he does that, he needs to be prepared to stay indoors for the remainder of the offseason. Otherwise, he might get jumped by angry Sox fans.


I think it would also be based on how soon the Red Sox name a true GM....they would seem like the most natural suitor for Thomas IMO

hold2dibber
10-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I think it would also be based on how soon the Red Sox name a true GM....they would seem like the most natural suitor for Thomas IMO

My guess is that they'd rather re-sign Floyd and won't have the $ to sign both. I'm also not sure that Frank has the right temperment for Boston. Who knows.

jlh221fan
10-30-2002, 08:13 PM
If the Red Sox sign Floyd, they don't have a place to play Frank. Ramirez, Nixon, Damon, and Floyd would be the 3 OF's/DH. I guess they could move Floyd back to 1B, his original position with the Expos.

hold2dibber
10-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by jlh221fan
If the Red Sox sign Floyd, they don't have a place to play Frank. Ramirez, Nixon, Damon, and Floyd would be the 3 OF's/DH. I guess they could move Floyd back to 1B, his original position with the Expos.

Exactly why they wouldn't sign both of them -- and I'm guessing they'd rather have Floyd than Frank.