PDA

View Full Version : Cameron on Hummell

Daver
10-29-2002, 06:36 PM
From strikethree.com's David Cameron:

The White Sox were hoping Tim Hummel would be ready to replace Ray Durham in 2003. Well, Durham is gone, but Hummel has been passed after a miserable season in AAA. He finished strong, but hit in the .230's most of the year. Scouts have never been fond of his defense, with some even questioning whether he could handle second, but his bat has been able to carry him until now.

There are reasons for optimism, however. Despite just hitting four home runs, Hummel has power. He also whacked 33 doubles, and some of those will gain length as he grows. He's probably not going to be a real threat to go yard, though. He will draw walks, but he swings at bad pitches as well. He'll have to improve his approach at the plate and hope to rebound at Charlotte in 2003.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Seems like just another in the seemingly endless string of "can't miss Sox kids," who wind up doing SQUAT when it's time to put up or shut up.

Lip

doublem23
10-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Seems like just another in the seemingly endless string of "can't miss Sox kids," who wind up doing SQUAT when it's time to put up or shut up.

Lip

How did I know this endlessly broken recording would continue...

Sheesh...........

bc2k
10-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Didn't Olivo put rebound to put up nice numbers in his second season at Birmigham? We can hope Hummel does the same at Charlotte.

kermittheefrog
10-29-2002, 11:32 PM

Lip

Yeah ya know how other teams never have prospects that have dissapointing seasons.

kermittheefrog
10-29-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Didn't Olivo put rebound to put up nice numbers in his second season at Birmigham? We can hope Hummel does the same at Charlotte.

Olivo actually played fairly well his first season in Birmingham and improved it to phenominal his second time through.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2002, 12:07 AM
Yea...like the Yankees...you remember them...guys like Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera.

The last time the Sox had a group to match that quality and quantity was the McDowell, Fernandez, Thomas, Ventura group.

That was a GENERATION ago.

What have you done for me lately?????

Also Kermit and Double, when the Sox actually WIN something and stop blaming the fans for the problems they created, then this broken record will end. (Looks like you better get used to it until Reinsdorf drops dead...)

Lip

duke of dorwood
10-30-2002, 08:58 AM
Haven't they moved Hummell back and forth between short and second last year? If so, maybe that affected him.

RichH55
10-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Yea...like the Yankees...you remember them...guys like Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera.

The last time the Sox had a group to match that quality and quantity was the McDowell, Fernandez, Thomas, Ventura group.

That was a GENERATION ago.

What have you done for me lately?????

Also Kermit and Double, when the Sox actually WIN something and stop blaming the fans for the problems they created, then this broken record will end. (Looks like you better get used to it until Reinsdorf drops dead...)

Lip

Has Drew Henson made the Hall of Fame when I wasn't looking? Did Jimenez become one of the big 3 of SS out there? Did the other Riveria ever become anything(other then a joke?) How about Shane Spencer? Nick Johnson certianly didnt meet expectations this year. Or the plethora of future star starters they had who were essentially 5th starters when push came to shove. For the Sox...I think Buerhle qualifies as someone who developed, Crede is sure looking good, Olivo is promising, Mags went through the system, Borchard I expect to be huge, Ray-Ray went through the system. C Lee is our product and hasnt reached potential yet, but is still a pretty good player....Every team overhypes their farm products...it doesnt make sense not to

RichH55
10-30-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Haven't they moved Hummell back and forth between short and second last year? If so, maybe that affected him.

A year ago, before Harris and Jimenez this would have been crushing news....right now its simply a negative...thankfully we aren't in a position where we need Hummell to step up right away

RichH55
10-30-2002, 06:03 PM

Lip

Hummell was a can't miss kid? Why don't I remember this? He was always projected as a kid who can hit, might get power, great OBP, with significant defensive questions(not the least of which being what position does he project to)...that doesn't exactly sound can't miss to me? He did look promising with the bat before this year, and could still rebound, but at the time I think much of the hype/hope for Hummell centered around the fact that last offseason Ray's contract year loomed and Hummell was the only viable candidate to replace him in the pipeline...sort of like Olivo now(I don't even like to look at the other options if he doesn't succeed)

Randar68
10-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hummell was a can't miss kid? Why don't I remember this? He was always projected as a kid who can hit, might get power, great OBP, with significant defensive questions(not the least of which being what position does he project to)...that doesn't exactly sound can't miss to me? He did look promising with the bat before this year, and could still rebound, but at the time I think much of the hype/hope for Hummell centered around the fact that last offseason Ray's contract year loomed and Hummell was the only viable candidate to replace him in the pipeline...sort of like Olivo now(I don't even like to look at the other options if he doesn't succeed)

Wanna take in an LSU of FSU game?

RichH55
10-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Are you asking me out? :D: I'm flattered, but taken :cool: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Paulwny
10-31-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Has Drew Henson made the Hall of Fame when I wasn't looking? Did Jimenez become one of the big 3 of SS out there? Did the other Riveria ever become anything(other then a joke?) How about Shane Spencer? Nick Johnson certianly didnt meet expectations this year. Or the plethora of future star starters they had who were essentially 5th starters when push came to shove

The heavily touted Ricky Ledee, expected to lead the AL in home runs because of the short rf porch in yankmee stadium. If it weren't for fa's the yankmees would be an average team.

Dadawg_77
10-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The heavily touted Ricky Ledee, expected to lead the AL in home runs because of the short rf porch in yankmee stadium. If it weren't for fa's the yankmees would be an average team.

I thought the Yankees traded away Leddee.

Paulwny
10-31-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I thought the Yankees traded away Leddee.

To the tribe. After 2-3 yrs. the yankmees realized he couldn't hit even though he put up good minor league numbers. Good minor league numbers are no guarantee that you'll be a good ml player.

RichH55
10-31-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Seriously Randar what did you mean by this? You talking U of I baseball or what? Im sort of confused