PDA

View Full Version : Expos pick up Colon's option

Daver
10-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Guess they figure the check they get from MLB will cover his salary. (http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,5843766_52,00.html)

nut_stock
10-29-2002, 05:42 PM
Maybe they're wanting to trade him for a handful of top prospects....?

Daver
10-29-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Maybe they're wanting to trade him for a handful of top prospects....?

They better get a double handful to replace what they gave up,Brandon Phillips has the potential to put up A-rod type numbers.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Won't be be hilarious if the Expos wind up with a higher payroll (and a better team) then the Sox!

Now THAT'S funny...

By the way the Twins picked up the 3 million dollar option on LaTroy Hawkins leading to speculation that they may in fact, pick up ALL the options on their four main guys and have a payroll about 55 million next season (which would be about ten million more then the Sox! LOL LOL LOL LOL)

Lip

Iwritecode
10-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Won't be be hilarious if the Expos wind up with a higher payroll (and a better team) then the Sox!

Now THAT'S funny...

By the way the Twins picked up the 3 million dollar option on LaTroy Hawkins leading to speculation that they may in fact, pick up ALL the options on their four main guys and have a payroll about 55 million next season (which would be about ten million more then the Sox! LOL LOL LOL LOL)

Lip

Are you serious? The Sox are looking at a 45 million dollar payroll next year? That's ****ing pitiful!!! :angry:

BTW, how does the whole revenue sharing thing work? With a payroll that low how can the Sox NOT be getting money?

voodoochile
10-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Are you serious? The Sox are looking at a 45 million dollar payroll next year? That's ****ing pitiful!!! :angry:

BTW, how does the whole revenue sharing thing work? With a payroll that low how can the Sox NOT be getting money?

Isn't it in part based on how much you take in? How much you spend has never been part of the equation, I don't think. The players rejected a minimum salary level requirement.

Pohlad had no choice. If he didn't at least keep the pieces he could keep from the team that almost won the pennant, he would have been run out of town on a rail.

Daver
10-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Isn't it in part based on how much you take in? How much you spend has never been part of the equation, I don't think. The players rejected a minimum salary level requirement.

The so called "luxury tax" is based on payroll,any team that is over 103 million in payroll is subject to it,with the money being distributed to lower income teams solely at Bud's discretion.
There is no written provision that this revenue sharing money be used on payroll or stadium improvement.

Iwritecode
10-30-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by daver
The so called "luxury tax" is based on payroll,any team that is over 103 million in payroll is subject to it,with the money being distributed to lower income teams solely at Bud's discretion.
There is no written provision that this revenue sharing money be used on payroll or stadium improvement.

So in other words Bud is the one who decides who will or won't get extra money? :?: That doesn't sound good... The only thing I've heard about how the money should be spent is that teams may be subject to fines if the money is not used on payroll or staduim improvement. Although I'm not sure that's written in stone either.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Gang:

This is from my interview with Phil Rogers.

Daver you may be particularly interested in the first question and answer:

ML: Revenue sharing and competitive balance were the central issues in this discussion but the agreement makes no provisions that teams have to spend revenue sharing money on players. What safeguards are there that owners will try to get better?

PR: "There isnít a minimum payroll requirement because the union objected to having one, the owners tried to get one put in. That being said, it has recently come out that clubs who get revenue sharing money must file a report every year to the commissionerís office detailing where and how that money was spent. The commissioner then has the power, if he doesnít like where the money is going, to levy substantial fines on teams. The money has to be spent on things like player salaries, adding minor league teams or stadium improvement."

ML: Then how does that square with published accounts quoting Jerry Reinsdorf as saying in the owners ratification meeting, that teams should use that money towards reducing operating debt rather then going to player acquisitions or salaries?

PR: "Iíve seen that story. All I can tell you is that I was at that meeting and all reporters were outside the conference room. I know that when Iíve tried to get comments from owners afterwards in these kind of situations, they were always tight lipped. I canít vouch for the veracity of that story. Assuming that comment was made, I donít think reducing team debt would fall under the guidelines of where revenue sharing money has to go, therefore the commissioner would get involved to stop it."

ML: How does the new agreement affect the White Sox?

PR: "The Sox will have to spend about a million dollars more on player salaries because the minimum salary level went up. The Sox wonít be affected as much because theyíve always been in the middle. Long term, if they make the playoffs they eventually might stand a better chance of winning something because the new agreement should put a drag on salary levels with the top spending teams."

Daver
10-30-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Daver you may be particularly interested in the first question and answer:

ML: Revenue sharing and competitive balance were the central issues in this discussion but the agreement makes no provisions that teams have to spend revenue sharing money on players. What safeguards are there that owners will try to get better?

PR: "There isnít a minimum payroll requirement because the union objected to having one, the owners tried to get one put in. That being said, it has recently come out that clubs who get revenue sharing money must file a report every year to the commissionerís office detailing where and how that money was spent. The commissioner then has the power, if he doesnít like where the money is going, to levy substantial fines on teams. The money has to be spent on things like player salaries, adding minor league teams or stadium improvement."

Does anyone really think Bud will actually levy any fines?

What is to stop teams from creating a "ghost" scouting division for scouting prospects in Iceland and report that the revenue sharing check covered its formation?

And then the real question,if what Rogers says is correct why was it not put in writing in the new CBA?

I trust Bud and the rest of the owners about as far as I can drop kick a Chrysler.

Vsahajpal
10-30-2002, 03:41 PM
No chance Phillips puts up numbers on par with Rodriguez. He doesn't have that type of juice in his bat. I doubt he'll ever approach 35-40, let alone 50 HR.

Daver
10-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
No chance Phillips puts up numbers on par with Rodriguez. He doesn't have that type of juice in his bat. I doubt he'll ever approach 35-40, let alone 50 HR.

I was reffering more to hitting for average and his defensive skills than his power hitting,but your point is well taken.

Vsahajpal
10-30-2002, 04:34 PM
My bad, he should be able to hit .300/.375/.450 at least. The Indians have moved him to 2b, though. I don't agree with the move, I think he's capable of playing SS very well.

RichH55
10-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
My bad, he should be able to hit .300/.375/.450 at least. The Indians have moved him to 2b, though. I don't agree with the move, I think he's capable of playing SS very well.

Well they still have Omar no?

guillen4life13
11-02-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well they still have Omar no?

mi shortstop favorito ahora mismo! Omar Vizquel!