PDA

View Full Version : Record low WS ratings

Paulwny
10-29-2002, 03:55 PM
On Saturday, Fox Sports chairman David Hill said baseball's labor strife this year was partly responsible for the decrease.

"Once again, baseball managed to turn off its loyal fans," he said. "I hoped it would pick up when we got to the postseason. It certainly hasn't been what I hoped it would be.

"Our ratings had been terrific all year. They went in the bucket when all the bristling and saber rattling started."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-world-series-ratings1029oct29,0,288718.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dba seball%2Dheadlines

duke of dorwood
10-29-2002, 04:31 PM
He's right-too bad. It was great entertainment. Actually, where I work, some people watched that never would have before.

nut_stock
10-29-2002, 06:41 PM
I would have thought this series would have drawn more interest. I know of many people who were sick of seeing the Yankees every year. 2 new teams obviously didn't have the effect I thought it would.

Jerry_Manuel
10-29-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I would have thought this series would have drawn more interest. I know of many people who were sick of seeing the Yankees every year. 2 new teams obviously didn't have the effect I thought it would.

Well, the all California part of it turned people off.

Length of the games.

And most of all FOX and their weird, creepy coverage. Stop showing the kids and stop zooming in on Appiers' face.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Well four hour games and games ending after Midnight in the East sure as hell isn't helping matters!

By the way Las Vegas has posted odds on the 2003 WS Champ:

Guess who's the favorite.....

That's right the Yankees at 4-1. The Angels are next at 6-1.

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
10-29-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
By the way Las Vegas has posted odds on the 2003 WS Champ:

Guess who's the favorite.....

That's right the Yankees at 4-1. The Angels are next at 6-1.

Sox are right behind the Angels right at, 8-1 right?

:)

SI1020
10-29-2002, 10:29 PM
The ratings are down, what a surprise. Wait and see what the ratings will be when they expand the playoffs and the 7th game of the WS is played in a driving snowstorm in the middle of November. But hey, this is progress and I'm just a mindless reactionary.

Nellie_Fox
10-30-2002, 11:23 AM
I've already complained about the series being between two wild card teams. It's a 162 game season. That should mean something.

Paulwny
11-02-2002, 09:40 AM
I heard this yesterday, > 50% of the WS viewers were over the age of 50. Baseball is becoming a regional sport to the under 50 crowd and they aren't interested if their team isn't playing.