PDA

View Full Version : Memorable Moments of 2002?

Soxheads
10-28-2002, 08:37 PM
For all of you, what will you remember the most about the 2002 season? The near-strike? Trades? That damn monkey? There's a lot of things...

MarkEdward
10-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
For all of you, what will you remember the most about the 2002 season? The near-strike? Trades? That damn monkey? There's a lot of things...

No particular order:

-The continued greatness of Barry Bonds
-Yankees knocked out in first round of playoffs.
-Continued humiliation of Bud Selig (All-Star game fiasco, two near-contraction teams having successful years, with the Twins making the ALCS).
-Sox comeback from 8-0 trouncing to beat Cubs.
-Mark Buehrle.
- Joe Crede getting his first real chance in the majors, and proving he belongs there.

LauraJ14
10-28-2002, 09:18 PM
Favorite 2002 memories:

1. Beating the Cubs when down 8-0

2. Buehrle beating the Twins 5 times

3. Crede's game winning homerun against the Blue Jays

4. Konerko's first half and Magg's second half

bc2k
10-28-2002, 11:34 PM
-Thomas hitting a career low
-Thomas spending gametime in the locker room
-Thomas whining about being benched
-Thomas getting called out because he refused to slide
-Thomas losing the respect of his teammates
-Thomas's diminished skills (which I just learned included poor baserunning and a terrible teammate to go along with poor stats).
-Jerry Manuel costing Mark Buehrle 20 wins.
-Jerry Manuel not having a backbone.
-Carlos Lee improving his defense and plate patience
-Ken Williams being tough enough to make the right call and dump the veterans and letting the young deserving guys play.
-Finally appreciating Magglio - even if the rest of the league doesn't.
-Finally appreciating the selfless acts of Paul Konerko. Giving up stats by hitting behind runners, constantly sacrificing for the team. Making productive outs. Being a vocal and stat leader. Someone who calls out bad teammates.
-Watching Paul Konerko represent our team with class and talent in the All-Star game.
-Being in attendance, right behind home plate, watching the Sox come back from an 8-0 deficit and beat the Cubs.
-Watching 2000 team MVP Jose Valentin (you know, the guy who didn't sit in the dugout while his teammates got pummeled) again show his passion for the game. And enjoying his clutch hits.
-I learned that I'll have to wait until 2003 to see Willie Harris get two hits in row while not bunting. But not having to wait long till I had to hear his whining about playing time (someone must have been hanging around Thomas).
-Learning that Willie Harris will watch while an old man gets beat by two fans. (Man, this guy is a lot like Thomas. He's the new "Little Hurt").
-Finally appreciating the humor of Ed Farmer and the professionalism and cadence of John Rooney.
-Learning how big of a moron Dave Wills is.
-I also learned that no matter where I go in life, where I live, and what I do, I will always be a Chicago White Sox fan.

Nellie_Fox
10-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I also learned that no matter where I go in life, where I live, and what I do, I will always be a Chicago White Sox fan. You sure as hell had me fooled.

Foulke You
10-29-2002, 01:52 AM
My moments-

-Seeing the look of Cub fans sitting in my section as Paul Konerko's 2nd homer sailed over the fence which made it 10-8 as the White Sox stormed back from 8-0

-Watching Sosa strike out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th inning the very next day in the very same section

-Being at Fenway Park in Boston for the whole series and watching the White Sox take 2 out of 3 and in the process, seeing Garland develop into a halfway decent pitcher in one Tuesday night in Beantown.

-Seeing Bob Howry bean Torii Hunter one day after Hunter had shouted obscenities into the Sox dugout after a game winning homerun

-The Yankees losing in Round 1

-The Twins losing in Round 2

-Paul Konerko's impressive showing in the HR Derby and All-Star Game

-The American League taking back the World Series crown

-The Cubs losing 90+ games one year after the "magical" 2001 run

-Magglio Ordonez solidifying himself as the best RF in Chicago

-KEITH FOULKE regaining his form after a shakey month of May

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2002, 09:04 AM
3. Manuel admitting he likes to tinker even though it usually doesn't work.

2. Williams tipping over the clubhouse buffet table and screaming at his players, calling them bitches and mother****ers.

1. Reinsdorf raising ticket prices, then invoking the diminished skills clause on Frank Thomas.

You have to admit, that pretty well sums up the entire operation, doesn't it?

doublem23
10-29-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
You sure as hell had me fooled.

I agree.

My favorite moment: Maggs' grand slam against the Indians in April, the first game in a series we swept them, that included fights galore in the park and strip-teasing ladies.

Ah, to be good again.

jortafan
10-29-2002, 01:02 PM
I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I'd like to suggest as the most memorable moment the first seven innings of the May 29th game against the Yankees. Buehrle outpitched the immortal Roger Clemens and was winning 3-1 when he came out of the game. If we could only do-over that ninth inning.
On a more traditional note, how about Jon Garland's near no-hitter in May against the Red Sox at Fenway. It was a great game, if only peoples' attention hadn't been diverted by the debut of Mark Prior.

34 Inch Stick
10-29-2002, 01:28 PM
Taking my 3 month old son to his first game in August.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2002, 10:37 PM
-Thomas's diminished skills (which I just learned included poor baserunning and a terrible teammate to go along with poor stats).
-Ken Williams being tough enough to make the right call and dump the veterans and letting the young deserving guys play.
-Finally appreciating the selfless acts of Paul Konerko. Giving up stats by hitting behind runners, constantly sacrificing for the team. Making productive outs. Being a vocal and stat leader. Someone who calls out bad teammates.
-Watching Paul Konerko represent our team with class and talent in the All-Star game.
-Being in attendance, right behind home plate, watching the Sox come back from an 8-0 deficit and beat the Cubs.
-Watching 2000 team MVP Jose Valentin (you know, the guy who didn't sit in the dugout while his teammates got pummeled) again show his passion for the game. And enjoying his clutch hits.
-I learned that I'll have to wait until 2003 to see Willie Harris get two hits in row while not bunting. But not having to wait long till I had to hear his whining about playing time (someone must have been hanging around Thomas).
-Learning that Willie Harris will watch while an old man gets beat by two fans. (Man, this guy is a lot like Thomas. He's the new "Little Hurt").
-Finally appreciating the humor of Ed Farmer and the professionalism and cadence of John Rooney.
-I also learned that no matter where I go in life, where I live, and what I do, I will always be a Chicago White Sox fan.

Shut up.

doublem23
10-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Shut up.

I really couldn't have said it better myself.

Don't you just love how "Sox fans" root against some of their own players? Isn't that just great?

By the way, Pauly better learn to shut his yap when he talks to the press or he's gonna lose respect in that clubhouse real fast. He has quite a little habit of saying too much. Someone better teach him the magic of, "No comment," real soon.

Jerry_Manuel
10-30-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Don't you just love how "Sox fans" root against some of their own players? Isn't that just great?

By the way, Pauly better learn to shut his yap when he talks to the press or he's gonna lose respect in that clubhouse real fast. He has quite a little habit of saying too much. Someone better teach him the magic of, "No comment," real soon.

Not if he's talking about someone the clubhouse doesn't like. Or at least a portion doesn't like.

doublem23
10-30-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Not if he's talking about someone the clubhouse doesn't like. Or at least a portion doesn't like.

No, but if he doesn't learn how to shut up, he's going to slip and make a mistake.

Jjav829
10-30-2002, 09:25 PM

Riiiiiiight. Just like Frank was taught, huh? Whether they will admit it or not, i'd bet there are some players in the clubhouse who GAINED respect for Paulie for saying what he did say.

What do you mean by that bold part? Like how just about everyone here rooted against Clayton? O wait, I forgot about the double standard. I'll' sit down now.

Jjav829
10-30-2002, 09:29 PM
My favorite moments:

-Clayton being released.

Can I stop there?

Ok a few more.

- Seeing the Yankees lose!
- Seeing a White Sox player in the HR Derby, and doing well also.
- Seeing Konerko not only perform well in the Derby, but also seeing him come close to winning MVP honors in the All-Star game.
- Watching that Oakland 20 game winning streak. Those were some really fun games as they got towards the end of it.
- Seeing the Angels win the World Series.
- Watching the Mariners fail to make the playoffs. Haha!
- The Cubs vs. Sox series in general. Just fun stuff. Especially that 8 run rally.

doublem23
10-31-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Riiiiiiight. Just like Frank was taught, huh? Whether they will admit it or not, i'd bet there are some players in the clubhouse who GAINED respect for Paulie for saying what he did say.

What do you mean by that bold part? Like how just about everyone here rooted against Clayton? O wait, I forgot about the double standard. I'll' sit down now.

Whoa... There's a difference between rooting against a player and wanting to see him fail and passing a player off as crap, who's just getting inserted into the starting lineup because he's on the manager's "A-list" when all he does is detract from the team.

I'd have loved it if Clayton made me eat my words and played, at least average baseball for the whole season consistently. Sadly, this wasn't the case.

maurice
10-31-2002, 02:01 PM
Maggs' grand slam against the Indians in April, the first game in a series we swept them, that included fights galore in the park and strip-teasing ladies.

That was a GREAT game. JM had to replace CLee with Rowand in LF, because Lee was watching the girls and the fights instead of the game. God bless half-price Tuesdays.

After that game, the Sox were 8 and 5; KLo was batting .404, Ray .354, Maggs .347, Paulie .321, and Alomar .400; things were looking up. Unfortunately, it was all downhill in the months to come.

How depressing that the bulk of "memorable moments" involve bad things happening to other clubs.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2003, 07:34 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to bring this thread back, so we can see how much (or how llittle) things have changed since last season.

valposoxfan
07-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Mike Cameron embarrassing the Sox with a four home run game. Still makes me proud that I booed him on the third and fourth home runs. I am not going to cheer a man that made a mockery of my team, I'm sorry. What hurt the most is that he used to be my favorite Sox player. Stupid irony.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2003, 09:17 PM
The best moment of last year?

How about when it was over and we could start trying to forget it.

Lip

valposoxfan
07-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The best moment of last year?

How about when it was over and we could start trying to forget it.

Lip
Couldn't agree more.

gosox41
07-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I thought it would be a good idea to bring this thread back, so we can see how much (or how llittle) things have changed since last season.

I didn't read any of the old posts, b ut my favorite part of 2002 was when all the hitters went into a slump at once because they weren't focused on doing the little things. Oh wait, was that 2001 I was thinking of, or maybe 2003. I forget since IT HAPPENS EVERY F****** YEAR.

Bob

Thunderstruck30
07-13-2003, 12:29 AM

My favorite moment: Maggs' grand slam against the Indians in April, the first game in a series we swept them, that included fights galore in the park and strip-teasing ladies.

Ah, to be good again.

I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. That was sweet!!!!

WinningUgly!
07-13-2003, 01:13 AM

Funny how bc2k hasn't been around much since Thomas has bounced back. He really can't stand seeing the guy succeed.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Funny how bc2k hasn't been around much since Thomas has bounced back. He really can't stand seeing the guy succeed.

IIRC, I think bc2k doesn't post much when he's out of school. He should be back in the fall, though it will be interesting to see what happens when he has all of his comments thrown back in his face.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
3. Manuel admitting he likes to tinker even though it usually doesn't work.

2. Williams tipping over the clubhouse buffet table and screaming at his players, calling them bitches and mother****ers.

1. Reinsdorf raising ticket prices, then invoking the diminished skills clause on Frank Thomas.

You have to admit, that pretty well sums up the entire operation, doesn't it?

This definitely hasn't changed since last year. It's only a matter of time before KW blows his top again.