PDA

View Full Version : "Official" Thomas Now Free Agent

Lip Man 1
10-28-2002, 11:59 AM
According to the Chicago Tribune, Frank Thomas and his agent Arn Tellum have "officially" notified the Sox that he is using his 45 day option window to test the free agent market.

Just a few thoughts...

This doesn't shock me since it doesn't cost Thomas anything to see what may be out there.

Remember though that item in The Sporting News which mentioned that the Orioles would take a run at him.

Meaning the odds are good that SOMEONE will be interested so it's not "automatic" (as so many fans here have said) that Thomas will be back.

And it's interesting that even though Thomas was "supposedly" offered five million a season by the Sox, that's apparently not enough for him (at least for right now). He must feel that somebody may be willing to take him and his guaranteed contract.

Personal opinion: The odds on Thomas returning to the Sox have now dropped to 60 / 40. (60 being that he will)

Lip

voodoochile
10-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
According to the Chicago Tribune, Frank Thomas and his agent Arn Tellum have "officially" notified the Sox that he is using his 45 day option window to test the free agent market.

Just a few thoughts...

This doesn't shock me since it doesn't cost Thomas anything to see what may be out there.

Remember though that item in The Sporting News which mentioned that the Orioles would take a run at him.

Meaning the odds are good that SOMEONE will be interested so it's not "automatic" (as so many fans here have said) that Thomas will be back.

And it's interesting that even though Thomas was "supposedly" offered five million a season by the Sox, that's apparently not enough for him (at least for right now). He must feel that somebody may be willing to take him and his guaranteed contract.

Personal opinion: The odds on Thomas returning to the Sox have now dropped to 60 / 40. (60 being that he will)

Lip

I don't know what I want more, Frank back or JR shown to be the moron he truly is. Hope the big guy finds a team that wants him and is willing to pay him for his services wherever that is.

Can we get a Fire JR tag?

:selljerry

Iwritecode
10-28-2002, 12:13 PM

Just a few thoughts...

Lip

I'd have to say that the odds should be a bit higher than that. I'm not sure FT would be willing to give up guaranteed money for a lower (albeit upfront) salary. It should be interesting to see if we ever hear some of the numbers he is offered.

jortafan
10-28-2002, 12:24 PM
I think it will be less about the dollar amount and more about finding a place that will make him feel loved and appreciated and won't get all bent out of shape that he's not as good now as he was when he was 27. Not having a Mariotti-type in the press corps singling him out as evil incarnate also would be a plus for him toward leaving. This reminds me of when Albert Belle used his window of opportunity in the contract and left. I never expected anybody to come up with an offer better financially than he was getting from the Sox, so in a way its appropriate that Baltimore is the rumored front-runner to steal Big Frank away.

duke of dorwood
10-28-2002, 12:41 PM
White Sox Baseball-"We cant beat Minnesota either"

I'm not surprised this has happened. We got guys to replace those 90 RBI's

:versatile :weewillie :rowand :liefer

Its just going to be another period of uncertainty-right before the GM meetings, not knowing if a move in that area is needed.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I'm not surprised this has happened. We got guys to replace those 90 RBI's I hope you're kidding. 90 was Frank in his worst ever year, coming off a major injury. 90 would be a career year for those guys you have pictured.

hold2dibber
10-28-2002, 01:01 PM

Its just going to be another period of uncertainty-right before the GM meetings, not knowing if a move in that area is needed.

You mean combined? (Even that would be a stretch).

Iwritecode
10-28-2002, 01:42 PM

Sorry, you're not allowed to combine them all. You only get to pick one to be the DH...

Paulwny
10-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Frank has until Dec. 7, The Day Of Infamy, to sign with another team or remain with the sox. It's kind of eerie.

hold2dibber
10-28-2002, 02:07 PM

I still don't understand how the Sox invoked the clause, in light of the fact that MVP results and Silver Slugger awards haven't been handed out yet (right?). I know Frank doesn't deserve Sliver Slugger for DH, but what if, somehow, the voters get it wrong and he wins it? It seems to me that a contractual clause that is contingent upon some event occuring (in this case, Frank not winning a Silver Slugger and not finishing top-10 in MVP voting) should not be exercisable until that event actually occurs. Does anyone else find this to be odd?

duke of dorwood
10-28-2002, 02:10 PM
:reinsy

If you people came to games and bought enough Super Tacos, this wouldnt be necessary.

Paulwny
10-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I still don't understand how the Sox invoked the clause, in light of the fact that MVP results and Silver Slugger awards haven't been handed out yet (right?). I know Frank doesn't deserve Sliver Slugger for DH, but what if, somehow, the voters get it wrong and he wins it? It seems to me that a contractual clause that is contingent upon some event occuring (in this case, Frank not winning a Silver Slugger and not finishing top-10 in MVP voting) should not be exercisable until that event actually occurs. Does anyone else find this to be odd?

Even though Frank was injured, could the clause be invoked based on last year's voting?

Lip Man 1
10-28-2002, 02:56 PM
Frank has until Dec. 7, The Day Of Infamy, to sign with another team or remain with the sox. It's kind of eerie.

That's true....strange (but typical Sox)

Also WHEN do the baseball winter meetings start? Thomas having until December 7th could also be another joker in what the Sox will be able to do if he should leave.

For example, if the meetings end before December 7th, how do the Sox figure out what to do? (since they may or may not know if he is actually leaving)

The timing could seriously hinder any efforts to try to get someone to replace him. (Of course, the other option would be that the Sox won't try to replace him under any circumstances. Given it's the Sox, that is always possible.)

And if Thomas wants to put the "hurt" (no pun intended) on the Sox he could deliberately stretch out negotiations to keep the Sox guessing then say at the last minute he's leaving (or staying) just to get some revenge. (Can't say that I'd blame him...)

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
10-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I'd have to say that the odds should be a bit higher than that. I'm not sure FT would be willing to give up guaranteed money for a lower (albeit upfront) salary. It should be interesting to see if we ever hear some of the numbers he is offered.

If I was him, I'd sign a one year deal somewhere, and if he has a huge year, he can go out on the market and get a big contract.

Jerry_Manuel
10-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Can we get a Fire JR tag?

:selljerry

I guess we could...

hold2dibber
10-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
If I was him, I'd sign a one year deal somewhere, and if he has a huge year, he can go out on the market and get a big contract.

Why would he do that? He already has a big contract here -- I think he'd be nuts to throw away the big contract he has here ($40 million GUARANTEED) on the mere chance he might be able to snare a big contract elsewhere if he has a big year. If he did this, and had a typical Big Frank year next year and made, for example, $5 million on a one year deal, realistically what could he expect on the open market the following year? IIRC, he'll be 35 next season, so he'd be looking for a deal starting for when he's 36. Even with a typical Big Frank year next year, he would need a new deal for 3 years (for when he's 36, 37 and 38) at at least $11.67 million per year to equal the total dollars he'll get from the Sox for the next four years. I don't think he'd have an easy time getting such a deal, even if he hit .325/40/125 next year. And if he gets hurt or has another year like this one, he will have pissed away massive amounts of coin.

Jerry_Manuel
10-28-2002, 04:25 PM
Here, VD.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=135180

Jerry_Manuel
10-28-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why would he do that? He already has a big contract here -- I think he'd be nuts to throw away the big contract he has here ($40 million GUARANTEED) on the mere chance he might be able to snare a big contract elsewhere if he has a big year . If he did this, and had a typical Big Frank year next year and made, for example, $5 million on a one year deal, realistically what could he expect on the open market the following year?

The way some people talk its' a lock that he'll have a monster season this year.

I agree he'd be stupid to throw away that much cash, but the organization is slapping him in the face.

Tragg
10-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Okay JR, put up or shut up. The 10 mill you save should frank sign elsewhere - use if for a centerfielder and grade A starter. I'll be waiting.

hold2dibber
10-28-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I agree he'd be stupid to throw away that much cash, but the organization is slapping him in the face.

I don't disagree, but it seems to me that Frank's reaction will largely be determined by how the Sox deal with him on this issue. If they're telling Frank and his agent that they really, really want him back and they love him and he's the greatest and they're invoking just because either they want to have some extra $ to improve the team or because they're in dire financial straights because of the lousy fans but they really think he's a critical part of the future and they want him to retire a Sox and complete his legacy, blah, blah, blah, then I think he won't necessarily be insulted by their actions. If they don't do that, he might take your suggestion and say "it ain't worth it, I'll go prove myself to someone who actually wants me" and walk away.

Foulke You
10-28-2002, 04:41 PM
The clause must've been invoked to pay for the new paintjob Comiskey is getting. :D:

:reinsy
"Do you know how expensive semi-gloss is?"

Lip Man 1
10-28-2002, 06:02 PM
If the Sox are trying to show Frank and his agent how much they "love" him, don't you think they are showing it in a bizarre way by sending out a "press release?"

What doesn't Williams or Reinsdorf have the guts to hold a press confrence, explain that Frank has decided to use his 45 day window and personally tell everyone how much the Sox want him?

Gutless and insensitive. Typical Dead Sox PR.

Lip